Expat Salary?

Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Meersbrook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Expat Salary?

I am hoping that someone will be able to give some insight into salary and cost of living in different parts of Malaysia, particularly cities in Sabah.

What would be considered a decent salary per month in KL and also in Sabah? I realise the cost of living is higher in KL but by how much?

Would a salary of 10,000 a month including accommodation but before deductions be reasonable everywhere or only in a smaller less expensive place?

Are cars necessary everywhere? What is healthcare like and if not covered by an employer what would the monthly cost be to get decent coverage? I am on my own in my 30s

Any other guidance on the cost of living would be much appreciated

Thanks, M
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat Salary?

Generally I think you should get your employer to pay the healthcare.
But for a person in his 30's I don't think it is so expensive.
I would ask a few of the local insurers, maybe they even publish tariffs on their websites?
Salaries depend of course the profession and I think you have also to compare what you get at home and what if any you are willing to sacrifice either here or in the home country and how much it is worth.
Here are some tax rates:
Laman Rasmi Lembaga Hasil Dalam Negeri Malaysia.
Not so high up to 20k :-)
And there are also deductibles.
A car would not be needed in KL, but maybe in Sabah.