employment pass

Old Mar 29th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Deoraby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default employment pass

Hi There
i am moving to KL with my wife and two kids in august.
My employers, University Malaya, are intending to process my employment pass and my family's dependents visa this april so they are in place for our arrival.
Ive been told that i need to get our marriage cert and kids birth certs authenticated by the foreign commonwealth office and then these endorsed documents must be further legalised by the high commision of malaysia in London.
Does anyone know exactly how i do this?
this part of the process seems to be my responsibility. Once i have the docs legalised the employers will apply for the pass.
The alternative is to wait until we arrive in KL, but with the space between then and now it seems a good opportunity to get everything in place before we take off. any advice would be appreciated
cheers
m
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:29 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employment pass

Where are you now and what nationality are you?

Go to fco.gov.uk and go to 'find an embassy'. Pick your closest and then call them for advice on the process?

We didnt have to have our documents certified, so cant give you a precise answer..
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

sorry, should have said, we currently live in the US.
I am british, my wife is irish and we have an irish wedding cert. First boy has an irish birth cert, youngest son has a US birth cert..makes it confusing as it appears we need to go to different consulates to get notarised
Old Mar 31st 2012, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Deoraby,

I'm a Brit in the USA too who may also be moving to Malaysia.

You might want to start here: -

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/

Brit embassy in Washington. The guy who does Birth registrations is really, really nice. He's antipodean and was a great help with registering both our kids as British. He's called Patrick and might be a first port of call for you. There is also a woman who works there doing passports but to say she's less than helpful would be putting it mildly.

We had to get marriage certificates certified while living in Jakarta and it was dead easy we just took them to the British Consular office there and they put a kind of watermark / embossed type stamp on them. Easy peasey and quick.

Good luck and happy travels!
Old Apr 1st 2012, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all
Default Re: employment pass & certificate legalisation

Hi Deoraby

I just went through this process in the UK with a British certificate. I think it doesn't matter what nationality you are, but what country your marriage certificate / birth certificate was issued by.

It looks like for an Irish certificate this is the site you need:
http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=268

Same site, different page, shows where you can go in the US for assistance with doing this...:

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=5535

For mine it was a quick and quite simple process... Good luck with yours!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

joamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud ofjoamelie has much to be proud of

Hi, I was in the Uk when i applied for my employment pass. I had to have all the documents photocopied (including every single page of my passport and then authenticated by a notary. I did this several months in advance but the employment pass still took a couple of months to come through once I was here, and involved taking the original documents for stamping to the office in Putrajaya.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all

Oh good point - re my other half's employment pass (which his employer also sorted out), I think he had to provide a lot of photocopies of pages for the first half of the process in advance of our arrival, plus passport photos (to the spec that Malaysia Immigration requires - do check this if you haven't already!).

My understanding is that I think part can be completed by you (with your employer as relevant) up to 3 months or so before you arrive in Malaysia but the last part must be after arrival? We were therefore advised to carry a photocopy of his offer letter and contract document so that on arrival in KL we could present that at immigration to explain why we had no planned date for leaving the country, no return flight booked etc. They did check the offer letter when we presented it at passport control, and the guy seemed quite comfortable with it as a process.

After that, being issued with his employment pass and my dependent's pass was very quick (and we didn't have to go to the immigration place at Putrajaya luckily... I guess someone in his HR dept was kind enough to do that for us!).
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Hi there
thanks for all the help guys. This is what i have been told by HR:
The application of Employment Pass and Dependent Pass, normally it will takes between 10 to 15 working days to process.

The documents needed for Dependent Pass are:
i. a copy of your family's passport (all pages including balnk pages)
ii. 2 passport size photographs with blue background
iii.the marriage certificate
iv. children birth certificate
As for the certificates, you must make a copy and get the copy endorsed by the High Commission of Malaysia in London.

So im working on this at the moment.....ive sent through copies of all relevant passports etc...working on getting birth and wedding certs organised by respective consulates (my immediate family is like the league of nations). Hopefully we can get this completed (bar any stages that have to be done in-country) in the next couple of weeks
thanks again for all the help.
Oh, one last thing...can anyone recommend a company to ship personal effects between US and Malaysia?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: employment pass & certificate legalisation

Deoraby, just to triple check in case HR has missed it in their list - the Malaysian High Comm in London will only stamp your certificates if they have already been legalised by the issuing body (UK for me, I think Ireland for you, as discussed already in this thread). They charged me £5 for mine but it was quick.

For any Brits in London with a British certificate that needs legalising & then stamping by the Malaysian High Comm, here’s the process I experienced:

First step was to send my (British) marriage certificate to the Legalisation Office in the UK (who will legalise UK documents) - that cost £36. I paid in advance online and sent the receipt, the form and marriage certificate to them in the post, then they processed it, stuck an Apostille onto the back of the marriage cert and sent it back in the post. For me it was very quick. See this link for the How To:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/wh.../Legalisation/

The next step was that I took my legalised marriage certificate to the Malaysia High Commission in London for stamping.

Be warned – their hours are odd...! You can only go in there to give them the certificate at around 10am-12noon or something, and then in the afternoon you can collect the processed document at no later than 3pm or similar.... there's a sign outside the High Commission but I didn't see these hours listed anywhere online before I went there! It's the basement office so not totally obvious from the street... go in and at the very end of the corridor there's a kind of cashier's area like in a bank where you hand in the marriage certificate and pay (£5), then you can collect that afternoon. You don’t need to hang around in the main waiting room! Their website is here if you want to contact them in advance (or send in your documents via post if that’s allowed?) but there's not much useful info on the site: http://www.jimlondon.net/contactus.html

The amusing thing is that after all of this, the Dependent’s Pass with which I have been issued, which utilises approved authorities to check and stamp, and ties to my passport, is not a legal form of ID!!! I’m told (although I can’t vouch for the reliability of the source) that if I get an international driving permit, that would qualify as a legal form of ID… go figure huh!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

Hi LivKL, pardon my ignorance but is this just the process that you have to follow for the dependants pass? as we're relocating from the UK later this year to KL and will have to sort out employment and dependant passes
Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2012, 5:57 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I think we got lucky. The only document we needed to have certified/retranslated was my son's Thai birth certificate.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi whybirda - don't worry at all! Yes, that was the process just for my marriage certificate, just to produce my Dependant's Pass.

My husband's employer helped him through his actual employment pass process - and then also with completing my dependant's pass once I was able to forward my legalised certificate to HR in KL, recorded mail.

I may just be overcomplicating things but I've just been on the Malaysia Immigration office website and they have a section on ex pats and the employment pass process. The main headings at the top of the page include one called "Main Services", beneath which is the sub-heading "Expatriatae" - from where you'll see links to e.g. the 1st stage process and 2nd stage process pages, and the dependant's pass info.

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/m...ces/expatriate

If you need to go there after you've arrived in KL it's in the area called Putrajaya... not super easy to get to before you've got a car but within reasonable taxi distance.

Is it just you and your husband moving or do you have kids? If so I imagine they'll need their birth certificates legalised in the same way you'll have to do your marriage certificate...
Old Apr 4th 2012, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

Hi again, many thanks for your reply and yes I have two children that will be coming with us so I assume their birth certificates will need approving/stamping.

It all seems such a long winded and complicated process but I suppose it has to be done! my husbands employer spoke to somebody at the Malaysian High Commission in London last week and was told all passes are applied for in Malyasia with the ministry of immigration.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Well.... I guess technically that's true, in that the application process and issue of the passes themselves is handled by the Immigration Office in KL, and I think I've heard others say you can wait and do the whole thing once you're in the country... it's just that all the stamping and legalising happens in the UK first!

If it's any consolation although I agree the process is long-winded I found it much less complicated than I feared it would be. In the event, it was quite a smooth one - and the best part was that the admin lady in the Malaysia High Commission in London was so super helpful and kind that it gave me a lot of confidence about coming out here. I hope you have a similarly positive experience going through the process!
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

That's good to hear, just out of interest how long did the process take for you and your husband?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.