Durian?

Old Oct 30th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Durian?

I thought the Malaysia forum might be a good starting place for my question. This fruit is renowned for it's aroma and goo like composition.
So how can I tell if a Durian has gone off, as in is no longer edible, rather than has relocated? Answers please on the back of a postcard or failing that on the forum. I thank you in anticipation.

jonboy
Old Oct 31st 2012, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Default Re: Durian?

Originally Posted by jonboy
I thought the Malaysia forum might be a good starting place for my question. This fruit is renowned for it's aroma and goo like composition.
So how can I tell if a Durian has gone off, as in is no longer edible, rather than has relocated? Answers please on the back of a postcard or failing that on the forum. I thank you in anticipation.

jonboy
Hi I have been told by a Malay that it must not be watery at all but firm...........The smell smells like rotten egg ............. hope that helps
Old Oct 31st 2012, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it must be firm. They go off very quickly, but I think most foreigners wouldn't know the difference. They smell and taste bad enough when fresh. Strange though the people from the locales where they grow, consider them a delicacy!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have in the past had the dubious pleasure of having a taste and whilst I was not too put out by the flavour, the smell and texture almost done for me! It was plain to see that the locals were truly enjoying themselves both consuming the fruit and watching my expression.
The fruit seems to ferment and would appear to be slightly alcoholic, this may be part of it's attraction.
On your advice I will tend towards a preference for firm flesh

We see imported Durian in the uk both fresh and frozen, so even so far afield, it has its supporters.
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:43 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Imported... yikes. Must stink the plane out eh?

Your fermenting theory is interesting.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:22 am
Just Joined

cheynewalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting that many westerners don't like durian. For me, no other fruit comes close to the luscious, sensual texture. And the taste is divine.

Whilst I love mangoes and pineapples, they run a distant second to the king of fruits. Unfortunately durian also tend to be the most expensive of fruits.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheynewalk
Interesting that many westerners don't like durian. For me, no other fruit comes close to the luscious, sensual texture. And the taste is divine.

Whilst I love mangoes and pineapples, they run a distant second to the king of fruits. Unfortunately durian also tend to be the most expensive of fruits.
I think it is all about associations The stimuli is what we interpret it to be. What may spark warm feelings in one person may be met with revulsion in another. We cannot and should not all be the same. Long live the difference

jonboy
Old Nov 8th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm durians.
Lush
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
hmmmm durians.
Lush
Steady on now