Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Malaysia on a UK licence

Originally Posted by TikkaMasala
When you use phrase "convert", does it mean that my British license will be taken away in exchange for the Malaysian license?
No, they just want to see your other licence. At least, that was the case for us. We "converted" from Thai driving licences. The guys at JPJ don't always know how to do it though. Best to print out something from the internet and wave it about. I printed out the blurb from the MM2H government site and that convinced them (eventually).
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Best to print out something from the internet and wave it about.
I have to say I find it more convenient to take my wife and wave her about!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You have that advantage, Bluenose
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
Strictly speaking, I think the answer is yes, you are supposed to exchange it. At least that's what I thought which is why I got an international permit before I left the UK. However, when I applied, they wanted to see my UK driving licence. I think they copied it, but they gave it back to me straight away. I got an approval letter a few weeks later and just had to pop in to JPJ to pick up my Malay one.
So guys, to get this right - oh my goodness another thing to do - we would be advised to get International Driving Permit (?) Before we leave the UK, as these can be converted (?terminology?) Into a Malay license.

What about car insurance? Is that a stupid question? Should we bring copies of our NCD with us? Or is our UK NCD obsolete is KL?

Thanks in anticipation, Lou.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Lou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud ofLou_from_Corby has much to be proud of

http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

Found and read this now. Thanks for the discussion as it highlighted the need.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

JKLMAL14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lou there seems so much for us to do! My head is spinning!
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I actually found obtaining the Malaysian Licence quite easy, the trick to it I think is to persevere until you get to speak to a JPJ officer who knows what the system is (e.g. that which is generally in keeping with the advice published by MM2H Motour). Given that you will need to go to a local JPJ to get your licence copies certified by JPJ before sending them to Putrajaya (unless applying at Putrajaya) it's not too much of a problem.

I've also seen countless threads on there being no need to get a Malaysian licence and had many different 'versions' of what the position is even from JPJ officers (hence the need to speak to one in the know, I found this to be the head of licence conversion at Butterworth) but given the insurance issues if involved in an accident, and the document's usefulness as an ID I'd rather not take the risk.

You do not need an IDP to apply for a Malaysian licence and your UK licence is NOT taken off you.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou_from_Corby
So guys, to get this right - oh my goodness another thing to do - we would be advised to get International Driving Permit (?) Before we leave the UK, as these can be converted (?terminology?) Into a Malay license.

What about car insurance? Is that a stupid question? Should we bring copies of our NCD with us? Or is our UK NCD obsolete is KL?

Thanks in anticipation, Lou.
As the law in Malaysia currently stands, there is absolutely no need to obtain an IDP. You will be able to drive using your UK Driving Licence. If you check the information out, though, you will find that the UK is not one of the countries where the exchange is automatic. You have to apply (which can be done at your local JPJ) but the application is then sent to Putrajaya to be approved.

Some (it may be all, but I don't know this for a fact) Malaysia Insurance Companies will recognise and give benefit for your existing No Claims Discount. Having said that, we bought a new car last May and, I suspect because the salesman couldn't be bothered to pass my details over to the Insurers, I had to pay the full whack up front. We did go into the local branch of the Insurers in December and they claimed they never received the letter that I handed over to the saelsman. Fortunately I had only given him a copy and so I still had the original. Even then, the insurers wanted me to provide them with the email address of my UK agent (Aviva) which I did. Still haven't heard anything yet. We will be chasing them up again this week. From what they said when we were there, I think 5 years is the maximum NCD they will give.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:41 am

If you check the information out, though, you will find that the UK is not one of the countries where the exchange is automatic.
That's what we found. As seasoned expats, we had a variety of driving licences to convert and they eventually went for our Thai driving licences, so was an easy conversion (once the JPJ officer was convinced). As Atilla says, perseverance helps....firm but polite.

Mr bakedbean had a valid Singapore driving licence at the time and he proffered that one first. It's supposed to be an easy conversion but they sure didn't like that one, though they should have. Politics I guess
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Some (it may be all, but I don't know this for a fact) Malaysia Insurance Companies will recognise and give benefit for your existing No Claims Discount.

Fortunately I had only given him a copy and so I still had the original. Even then, the insurers wanted me to provide them with the email address of my UK agent (Aviva) which I did. Still haven't heard anything yet. We will be chasing them up again this week. From what they said when we were there, I think 5 years is the maximum NCD they will give.
Thanks for the tip - take copies- and don't expect more than 5 years.

Good advice; thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

TikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to behold

Guys, I paid a visit to JPJ this Monday to "convert" my British license to a Malaysian one.

It appears that JPJ (verified by Putrajaya) require some sort of approval letter off of the British High Commission verifying that the British license is valid.

Unfortunately, the HiCom have been instructed by the FCO to STOP issuing these letters, the next port of call being the DVLA in the UK who will then POST such a letter to your address in Malaysia.

I have gone to the DVLA website (it's now been replaced by the .gov revamp) and there's no such option. I had to email them and ask for the procedures regarding this.

I do have to say that I've been sorely disappointed by both the Malaysian and British public service bureaus; looks like I'll have to explore my connections within the Federal Government to get this sorted.

Watch this space.

Clement
Old Jan 17th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

I had to email them and ask for the procedures regarding this.

I do have to say that I've been sorely disappointed by both the Malaysian and British public service bureaus;
Clement
Please keep us updated with this situation. As this will be something I will do before leaving the UK

Good Luck
Old Jan 26th 2014, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

TikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to beholdTikkaMasala is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lou_from_Corby
Please keep us updated with this situation. As this will be something I will do before leaving the UK

Good Luck
Lou, after some discussions with my colleagues in the Federal Government, it would be a good idea for you to get the DVLA letter sorted in the UK before you arrive in Malaysia as you rightly said before.

Or, as one of my friend's dad has done for the past 10 years, simply drive on your UK license and try not to get into any accidents!

Last edited by TikkaMasala; Jan 26th 2014 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lou, after some discussions with my colleagues in the Federal Government, it would be a good idea for you to get the DVLA letter sorted in the UK before you arrive in Malaysia as you rightly said before.

Or, as one of my friend's dad has done for the past 10 years, simply drive on your UK license and try not to get into any accidents!
Thanks again TikkaMasala. You are a fab source of knowledge x

Ladies, one more thing for the list - contact the lovely DVLA x
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

JKLMAL14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really useful! Brilliant, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.