British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Driving in Malaysia - The Rules of the Road for Beginners (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/driving-malaysia-rules-road-beginners-847570/)

JC3 Nov 22nd 2014 11:31 am

Driving in Malaysia - The Rules of the Road for Beginners

There’s some wonderfully funny and accurate advice for expatriate drivers in Malaysia on the personal website of David Astley.

Here’s an abstract -

Q: What is the most important rule of the road in Malaysia?

A: The most important rule is that you must arrive at your destination ahead of the car in front of you. This is the sacrosanct rule of driving in Malaysia. All other rules are subservient to this rule.

Q: What side of the road should you drive on in Malaysia?

A: 99.7% of cars drive on the left hand side, 0.2% on the right hand side, and 0.1% drive in reverse (be on the look out for drivers reversing at high speed in the left hand lane of freeways, having just missed their exit). Therefore on the basis of 'majority rules', it is recommended that….

Visit his website here, for more:

See: Malaysian road rules - David Astley's website

JC3

bakedbean Dec 8th 2014 6:31 am

Re: Driving in Malaysia - The Rules of the Road for Beginners

There's a couple he has missed.

What do you do when you see a speed bump?
You speed up and go over it as fast as you can. See if you can go into orbit ;)
If you want to see this in action, take your car for a spin around the back streets of Fettes Park....Jalan Gajah etc and watch how the locals do it. Really good fun to watch.

The vehicle in front has his right indicator on. What does that mean?
It usually means that he will turn at some point but not necessarily in the direction of the indicator. He may turn left or he may turn right. Up to you to guess.

columbine Dec 9th 2014 1:33 am

When you see the car in front has a left indicator on, ready to turn into a road on the left. You from behind, speed up, squeezed into the gap between pavement and the car, over take it to get to the front before that car can turn left.

ex reg Dec 9th 2014 1:41 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11495707)
The vehicle in front has his right indicator on. What does that mean?
It usually means that he will turn at some point but not necessarily in the direction of the indicator. He may turn left or he may turn right. Up to you to guess.

Akchewlee this can be a very helpful technique in Malaysia.
It means don't overtake, either because I'm turning right or there's something in the overtaking lane up ahead either an obstruction or something to make overtaking dangerous.

I find Malaysian drivers in general very helpful. Of course like anywhere else there are always fools around.

JC3 Dec 9th 2014 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 11496782)
I find Malaysian drivers in general very helpful. Of course like anywhere else there are always fools around.

Malaysian Car Drivers?

Isn't that an anagram for Many Varied Rascals, Sir?

JC3

Stuurman Dec 10th 2014 5:51 am

What do you do at a pedestrian crossing?

Accelerate for extra bonus points.

Kirisuchina Dec 10th 2014 9:10 am

As I tell newcomers: the white lines in the road are mere suggestions, and not always good ones.

Gunnar45 Dec 10th 2014 11:02 am

I don't find it too difficult to drive in Malaysia.
Compared to Europe where it causes an outrage of you do not observe stop signs, redlights or change lanes, etc.
In Malaysia one can expect anything to happen so you adapt the driving accordingly.
In Europe one trusts the other drivers to behave and observe the rules, stop at crossings and giving way etc.
So when someone breaks the rules, doesn't stop or give way the accident happens.

man from emas Dec 11th 2014 10:59 am

Yes in most countries the "Highway code" is mandatory set of rules here it is to be considered rather loosely as a set of "nice to have guide-lines" except for small motorbikes they make all their own rules & win on all occasions, remembering these people sooner or later in life migrate to cars, & there we have the crux of the problem.

Gunnar45 Dec 11th 2014 12:42 pm

Yes, and as long as you are prepared for the rule breakings, you are reasonably OK.
However, the big risk is the traffic on the tollroads where the speed is sometimes too high.
Motorcyclists are not so dangerous for the car drivers as they are smaller and softer.

InVinoVeritas Dec 11th 2014 2:20 pm

Might be worth reading this to see that motorcycles on a toll road can be more dangerous than you might think....

Man driving Aston Martin killed in crash - Nation | The Star Online

Gunnar45 Dec 11th 2014 11:45 pm

I was merely pointing oout that in the case of 'choice' I'd rather hit a motorcycle than fronting a car or a concrete pillar, etc.

InVinoVeritas Dec 12th 2014 5:23 am

Yes but in these situations it is a split-second reaction and there is no time to make a choice. As an ex-motor bike rider I would always avoid hitting a bike - they may be a soft target but they will likely die and I will likely just wreck my car. Though, I guess the Aston was doing a "little" over the limit!

Someone told me that the rule of the thumb in Malaysia is that, in an accident between a car and a bike, it is the car driver who will be normally considered at fault - anyone had any experience of this?

man from emas Dec 12th 2014 11:41 am

invinoveritas
basically you are correct I been told by several people including our car insurance that 4 wheels cannot claim against 2 wheels, even if they are coming down a one way street the wrong way & hit you, thats why cars always give them right of way. I understand its to do with the very low insurance they have to carry to be on the road, seems part of the built in system to give lower incomes methods of transport so I guess its a massive vote swing if someone was bold enough to change the law.

Nakrob Dec 17th 2014 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 11496782)
Akchewlee this can be a very helpful technique in Malaysia.
It means don't overtake, either because I'm turning right or there's something in the overtaking lane up ahead either an obstruction or something to make overtaking dangerous.

I've heard it's the 'polite' way to tell the car in front to move across to the left hand lane if you want to pass. That's if being 6 inches from their bumper and flashing headlights doesn't work.