British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Drivers Licence (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/drivers-licence-791712/)

AusMex Mar 25th 2013 2:48 am

Drivers Licence

Has anyone got a drivers licence, without being on the MM2H scheme, if so how was the procedure, hard, easy.
Thanks
Frank

Bluenose1 Mar 25th 2013 4:48 am

Re: Drivers Licence

Originally Posted by AusMex (Post 10621976)
Has anyone got a drivers licence, without being on the MM2H scheme, if so how was the procedure, hard, easy.
Thanks
Frank

Not yet, Frank. I am about to apply for a Long Term Stay Visit Visa (married to a Malaysian and so not on MM2H scheme) and, if successful, will then apply to change to a Malay driving licence. I have a U.K. driving licence which I understand is valid for up to a year anyway but I obtained an International Driving Licence from the U.K. last November and will use that in the application process. As far as I am aware, it is relatively straightforward (here in Melaka anyway). I'll post more information on completion.

Roy.

bakedbean Mar 25th 2013 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Bluenose1 (Post 10622050)
I have a U.K. driving licence which I understand is valid for up to a year anyway

FWIW I know of at least one person here who has just kept his UK licence and used for years. I'm not saying it's the correct thing to do, but just that some people do that and seem to get away with it.

kennyboy33 Mar 25th 2013 8:28 am

is it easy to buy a car here and get it insured with just a UK licence?

Kenny :blink:

Nakrob Mar 25th 2013 12:34 pm

Just got mine last week. I'm not on an MM2H but the process was the same. I had some extra complications as I was converting an Aussie license not a UK one so had to get some extra paperwork from New South Wales first. Otherwise straightforward. I assume you have the documents for MM2H? If not let me know and I can PM you them tomorrow.

Once you have the documents together its RM 30 per year for the license which will be set to expire on your birthdate so you may pay a fraction of a year also.

Nakrob Mar 25th 2013 12:36 pm

Just read bakedbeans reply and concur, I also had an assortment of advice before deciding to get the Malaysian license. I'm still not convinced it was necessary but with the local license now in my wallet along with my Aussie one you can't go wrong. (I currently have an IDP also).

kennyboy33 Mar 25th 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks very much for that Nakrob.

Am here on MM2H myself. birthday next month so may wait till then and get full 12 months ...then again, RM30 is nothing really eh.

kenny :thumb:

Nakrob Mar 25th 2013 10:45 pm

Kenny, sorry my previous post may have confused you. You pay pro rata for the remainder of the year. Ie in March I paid RM105 for 3.5 years; RM15 until my dob in Sept 13, then an additional 3 years at RM30 per year. Max validity is 5 years but my contract is not that long :(

bakedbean Mar 26th 2013 4:04 am

I find it handy as an ID. Saves carrying passport about.

kennyboy33 Mar 26th 2013 5:39 am

But if buying a new car in Malaysia,will a UK one be acceptable?

or maybe dealer doesnt need to see licence

Bluenose1 Mar 26th 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10624013)
But if buying a new car in Malaysia,will a UK one be acceptable?

or maybe dealer doesnt need to see licence

Answer is yes. 2 weeks ago we went into a Honda dealership to look at a CRV. The guy said he could arrange a test drive in 2 weeks and lead time is 3 months. Last week my sister-in-law spoke to a friend of hers and arranged a test drive for last Saturday. We had the test drive and placed the order, paying deposit of RM 1,000. He (S-I-L's friend) used my passport and U.K. driving licence and I also gave him the letter from my UK Insurance Company (Aviva) confirming minimum of 5 years NCD. I got 45% discount off this year's insurance. He also said that the lead time would be maximum of 2 months but he would do his best to get it here within a month. He also accepted our rented address without any proof. That may have been because I was paying cash, or it may have been because both my wife and S-I-L were with me! :thumbsup:

kennyboy33 Mar 26th 2013 11:03 am

Thats good Bluenose1..many thanx.I'll be paying cash too for car so might make things smoother.

Bluenose1 Mar 26th 2013 11:43 am

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10624383)
Thats good Bluenose1..many thanx.I'll be paying cash too for car so might make things smoother.

Don't forget to ask for a discount for paying cash. I got RM800 off - not much, I know, but better than nothing! If nothing else, it's paid for the road tax for almost 2 years! They actually say they prefer you to take out a loan because they get commission from the bank, but persevere and tell them you'd get (at least) 5k off in your home country. When I enquired about the price of a car at the Toyota dealer and mentioned discount for cash, after a bit of banter too and fro, he actually offered over RM1K off. Certainly worth asking, you never know; and the old adage of "If you don't ask, you don't get" is certainly true! :)

kennyboy33 Mar 26th 2013 11:47 am

very true..will certainly give that a try,thanx.

i'm sure I'll be quaking in my shoes the first time driving in M'sia.some of the drivers here display some..err..slightly odd driving habits, compared to England anyway

:)

Bluenose1 Mar 26th 2013 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by kennyboy33 (Post 10624460)
very true..will certainly give that a try,thanx.

i'm sure I'll be quaking in my shoes the first time driving in M'sia.some of the drivers here display some..err..slightly odd driving habits, compared to England anyway

:)

Lol! For your first couple of outings, I'd carry a spare pair of underpants and trousers if I were you! Watch out for the bikes.... both cycles and the motor variety.... they come at you from all angles; they come towards you on the wrong side of the road; sometimes you will have a whole family on 1 motorbike (most I've seen so far is 5, but I'm sure they weren't really trying, or it was a small bike!!); a lot of them come at you the wrong way on roundabouts (they just use them as shortcuts), don't have lights at night, and quite a few still don't wear crash helmets. Cars emerging from side roads also need a bit of attention. A large number of bikes (and quite a few cars as well) ignore traffic lights. That's probably enough for you to take in for now, but suffice to say your horn will prove very worthwhile! :rofl: