Reload this Page >

Do you miss the NHS ? Your GP ?

Do you miss the NHS ? Your GP ?

Old Oct 15th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you miss the NHS ? Your GP ?

Another question.

So how do you go about finding a local doctor ? How cheap/expensive is it ? Any recommendation around KLCC

What about Dentists ?

Any info. on immunization for babies. We have a 1 year old. He will have immunizations coming up in UK. What shall we do ?

Regards.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 11:44 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you miss the NHS ? Your GP ?

Regarding the immunizations you can continue on the UK schedule but your child will need two Hep A vaccinatinations in addition to this (at 2 and 2.5 y/o or so).

If you are going to be staying in KLCC you could see a dr or paed at one of the hospitals (Prince Court or Gleneagles). A lot of dr.'s run their clinics out of hospitals here.

I find medical treatment here affordable for the most part. For example, I pay around 80rm for a consultation with our paed plus medicines on top (which the dr.'s generally dispense themselves).

What I do miss is having a health system which is centered first and foremost around the providing best patient care rather than how much money they can make out of people. Dr's here tend to overprescribe hugely; I guess they make a cut out of the pharmaceutical's patients take home with him (a problem arising out of dr.'s being able to supply medications).
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point

That's very useful ajw. Thanks.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

I've never paid 80 MYR for a consultation, and I have seen two different GPs in the last few weeks or so, compared to the UK I find the service here a lot better, albeit you have to pay for it but it's still cheap.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:19 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you can find cheaper clinics but in the 2.5 years I have been here I have never paid less than that at our regular paed clinic in Bangsar or at Pantai Hospital. I like to think it many instances you get what you pay for; all the paeds at this clinic have been trained abroad and don't over prescribe medications.

I only time I have been to a GP here was at a local clinic for myself and it was around 40rm. Unfortunately I was given some dodgy antibiotics there and ended up having to have cortisone injections in hospital to reverse the damage.

I'm sure I was just unlucky.