British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Do you keep your jabs up to date? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/do-you-keep-your-jabs-up-date-733338/)

bakedbean Sep 23rd 2011 2:59 am

Do you keep your jabs up to date?

Just saw that I've got one due (typhoid) and wondering whether to bother quite honestly. I don't do jungles and am mostly in Penang or touring in Malaysia (or Thailand or Singapore). What's everyone else do?

Kooky. Sep 23rd 2011 3:16 am

Re: Do you keep your jabs up to date?

I used to, but then I have autoimmune disease.

My typhoid is well out of date so last week I asked my doctor if I should keep it up, if I do go to Asia but only to cities and resorts. She said not to bother.

bakedbean Sep 23rd 2011 3:25 am

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. The typhoid one in particular gives me the willies. The very first one I had in 1992 I think... I really thought I was dying for about half an hour. Not a pleasant experience. I don't like jabs :(

Kooky. Sep 23rd 2011 3:36 am

I'll keep my Hep up-to-date, I think.

As a doctor in Singapore once said, you never know who's in the kitchen preparing your food and where they have come from. (Not at home, obviously - nobody in my kitchen ever prepares food :D )

joamelie Sep 23rd 2011 3:53 am

There is now a combined hepatitis A/ Typhoid vaccine that lasts for 10 years. I've had it, it was fine. There's also a combined Hep A, Hep B, typhoid for those needing Hep B as well. My daughter has had it without side effects!

columbine Sep 23rd 2011 5:53 am

Had liver disease blood tests done 30 odd years ago in Taiwan and the whole family did not have protective antibodies against HepB which is prevalent in Asia and on the increase with immigration and traveling including countries like N.America and many Western countries. I gave myself and kids the initial 4 jabs of HepB myself while working in Taiwan when it was 4 jabs instead of 3 as per current routine. Every year I get my titer checked and have been high meaning I'm well protected. MrC got his 3 initial HepB jabs in HK, but unfortunately for him like some people who cannot generate the antibodies, his yearly antibody checks have been below the desired "10" and needs the Booster vaccine. Only this year he was just slightly above the reading "10" and he didn't need one. We'll see what next yr brings ;-)

The rest like Typhoid is only necessary if you consume 'garbage' from unfamiliar hawkers or restaurants :eek: hehehe I avoid shell fish and bottom feeders :sneaky:
The remaining regulars like Tetanus, Polio....only when necessary or 5 yrly booster ;)

bakedbean Sep 23rd 2011 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Seasider (Post 9637363)
As a doctor in Singapore once said, you never know who's in the kitchen preparing your food and where they have come from.

Yes that is a very good point. I got the combi Hep A and Hep B a couple of years ago so I'm all clear on that for another 8 years.

bakedbean Sep 23rd 2011 7:01 am

Originally Posted by columbine (Post 9637434)

The rest like Typhoid is only necessary if you consume 'garbage' from unfamiliar hawkers or restaurants :eek: hehehe I avoid shell fish and bottom feeders :sneaky:

I note you put a smilie but I'm having a good think about this. I like my shellfish. Bugger... I think I'm going to have to get the jab.

I just did a google and came across this on Penang Travel Tips.

http://www.penang-traveltips.com/do-...ing-penang.htm

They're also saying you should consider Japanese B encephalitis :(:o

ex reg Sep 23rd 2011 7:36 am

Back in UK in 10 days or so for a short visit so I'll call in and ask my local GP.

I know what he'll say -'haven't a clue '.

So I may go to the Polyclinic here before I go back to UK and ask them.
Then if possible get any jabs in the UK.

Akchewlee this is an important subject I reckon and one that has slipped my mind completely since retirement.

Last jabs of any kind I had must've been 25 plus years ago when I went to work in Africa.

Thanks for posting this bb.

columbine Sep 23rd 2011 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9637472)
They're also saying you should consider Japanese B encephalitis :(:o

My kids had the Japanese B enceph. vaccines their first year in Taiwan. That was compulsory then just like BCG for TB. We were on the outskirt of the city and surrounded by rice farms and they had chickens, ducks and pigs here and there hehe:ohmy:
If you're in the vicinity of the countryside and there's a pig farm then it's good to get the vaccines. Pg, nah:rofl: Mossie proof your home, use repellent sprays outdoor and wear light colored clothes.

columbine Sep 23rd 2011 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 9637517)
Back in UK in 10 days or so for a short visit so I'll call in and ask my local GP.

I know what he'll say -'haven't a clue '.

So I may go to the Polyclinic here before I go back to UK and ask them.
Then if possible get any jabs in the UK.

Akchewlee this is an important subject I reckon and one that has slipped my mind completely since retirement.

Last jabs of any kind I had must've been 25 plus years ago when I went to work in Africa.

Thanks for posting this bb.

Hope this link helps :)
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/travelvaccines-eng.php

bakedbean Sep 24th 2011 3:30 am

Originally Posted by columbine (Post 9638342)
Mossie proof your home, use repellent sprays outdoor and wear light colored clothes.

Why the light coloured clothes?

Kooky. Sep 24th 2011 6:00 am

Shame there's no vaccine against Dengue Fever - one of the biggest risks in the area, I'd wager.

columbine Sep 24th 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9639207)
Why the light coloured clothes?

here's your answer bb :p http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/mosqu...omeremedy.html

bakedbean Sep 25th 2011 2:37 am

Cheers Columbine. I see that alcohol attracts mosquitoes :rolleyes: There goes the CabSav :( I probably shouldn't tempt fate but I've hardly been bitten here. I do spray up twice a day though.