Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Do you get used to living in KL?

Do you get used to living in KL?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Stoodent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you get used to living in KL?

Hello

Moved to KL a couple of weeks back for a placement year as part of my degree .
Now I know it's early doors, but I'm not the type to get homesick, but I just don't think I like KL? I live in a really nice condo in Sentul (albeit alone, which sucks) but overall I'm just not a massive fan, I have just got the impression it's not that nice of a place and not that safe?

Obviously central KL is great for shopping etc and a great place to experience, with a couple of great clubs but at this point in time I can't see myself staying out here for the term of my contract! To me it's come across as the sort of place to travel around and experience, but not a place to settle down and live in?

Thoughts?

Does it get better the longer you stay here?
Old Jul 18th 2013, 2:13 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you get used to living in KL?

Hi Stoodent and welcome to the forum

Personally I would stick with it. You've got the opportunity there and you're working towards a goal, yes? It's a life experience but not a permanent stay. Try looking around for some meetups. Maybe that will help your stay there.

I think KL is one of those places that you like or really don't like. I have to say I've never liked it so maybe you fall,into,the same category. But a lot of folks do like it.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stoodent

I really feel for you. Moving to a new place is not easy and it definitely takes time to settle. You may never like KL (but then you may grow to love it) but in the meantime - do as BB says - try to find other people your age, or with similar interests - via Meetup or FB groups.

I'm sure there are loads of things to see and do and maybe you can take advantage of being in this part of the world and travel to other countries too.

I hope things pick up for you soon!
Old Jul 19th 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

saiprasad is an unknown quantity at this point

Not all that glitters are not gold: This is only for the beginning when facing the reality. As and when time passes, you will encounter many things and,
those experience may make you decide whether you like a place or not.

You have so much ahead of you, and try to break the rule being not alone by getting contacts in the city area. You may definitely meet interesting People but take the chances. Try to go to different expat meet-ups, or internations if this is of help. Best of luck in getting a degree first being your primary mission.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

I been here 7 months.

dont like it much either really.if shopping's your thing its great.

i dislike shopping