Different Taxi Rates?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Different Taxi Rates?

So last weekend we did our first taxi trip to KLIA from downtown for an overseas trip. Our condo arranged a taxi and we went by the meter. Price was MYR150. This surprised me as I paid MYR85 last year when here for an interview. I asked for a receipt which had 'executive taxi' ticked but it was an ordinary blue cab that you see everywhere (van type). We have a car in KL so are inexperienced with the taxis.

Question: are there different fares for different taxi types? Or did we just get stung by a dodgy taxi meter?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:35 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different Taxi Rates?

I think the Executive Taxis charge more, as I recall. We used one once and it sure was more expensive, though it was nice and comfy.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Car Hire would be cheaper.

Try Kasina.
Good service.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

No need for car hire as we have a car. This was always going to be a taxi trip I just wasn't expecting the rate we got charged. Next time well try a basic cab to compare the price.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the train cheaper?

And were you on the meter??
Old Feb 1st 2013, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Meter was on yes. We are 2+1 so train was going to be more than what I thought would be an MYR80 fare, and a lot less hassle.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:21 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the blue taxis AKA Executive Taxis have higher rates than your bog standard ones. Next time ask for budget taxi and they will know what you want.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all

I was told that drivers of Executive (blue) taxis can be guaranteed to speak decent English and will know loads of destinations in the city - so they're more reliable too, hence the higher meter rates. You can look out for budget taxis (red/blue or red/white, or green, or purple... anything except plain blue!!) that have a big smiling yellow cartoon face sticker in the window - that means they are a "Tourism Taxi" and supposedly know lots of sites in KL and elsewhere... possibly with better English too but in my experience that's been variable...

Also worth jotting down on a thread like this that the standard starting fare when you get in a budget cab is 3rm, and if you call and book a cab (through e.g. Sunlight or Public Cabs or Supercabs or the MyTeksi app) there is a 2rm surcharge too. Any toll charges are also added on to the fare at the end of the journey.

A little off the main subject but re getting to the airport via KLIA Ekspres train from Sentral station v getting a budget cab, I think we've just about settled on the idea that KLIA Ekspres train is a better bet than budget taxi for KLIA, but taxi is a better bet for LCCT (based on living only a short journey from Sentral station):

KLIA Ekspres ticket is 35rm x2 so 70rm single journey for two people + cab fare to Sentral c. 7rm. We estimate 15 mins to Sentral, 20 mins max. buying ticket and waiting for KLIA Ekspres, 28 mins on the train to KLIA = 1 hour 5 mins tops. Budget taxis usually say they will take you to KLIA for 80rm - sure there's less hassle just sitting in a cab but the journey is still an hour by car without traffic, and I always worry about the unpredictable jams here, so KLIA Ekspres seems safest and is often under an hour if you're lucky and don't have to wait for a train (they go every 20 mins).

However, if you got the KLIA Ekspres to KLIA and then want to transfer to LCCT, you'd then have to add on 40 mins - a possible 20-minute wait for the bus to LCCT, and then 20 mins for the bus journey itself to LCCT = 2.50rm x 2 so 5rm fare (or a taxi at some extortionate fixed price) so the journey ends up 82rm but a whopping 1hr 45 mins travelling - and the LCCT bus is pretty grotty.

In contrast, budget taxis to LCCT usually charge roughly the same as they do to KLIA - 80rm, and we've done it for 70rm in a large, new people carrier that was still a budget cab. In the Arrivals Hall the counter where you buy a coupon for a pre-paid budget taxi (for 2 people with normal luggage) charges about the same - and the journey always seems to be about 1 hr 15 mins. Seeing as we always fly at unsociable hours from LCCT, we never worry about the traffic!
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

I usually call Sunlight Radio taxis: 03-90571111.

You can view taxi rates here:
http://www.klia-taxi.com/contact.html
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Great info, thanks for the replies. I'll be booking a Sunlight cab or another equivalent 'budget' cab for the next KLIA/LCCT trip.