British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Covid-19 Pfizer Vaccine Availability? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/covid-19-pfizer-vaccine-availability-940789/)

Scuba Tyke Sep 22nd 2021 8:59 am

Covid-19 Pfizer Vaccine Availability?

I’m hoping for any advice on having a second set of Pfizer vaccines after already having Sinovac. Unfortunately Sinovac has not been added to the approved vaccines list for UK & Europe. This means that any trip I take in the near future necessitates 10 days quarantine on arrival, something I would obviously wish to avoid.

Can any of you good people offer any advice as to where I could pay to have another course, but with the Pfizer vaccine please? I have tried searching online but without success. I am located in Port Dickson.

SushiFan Sep 23rd 2021 7:16 am

Re: Covid-19 Pfizer Vaccine Availability?

I have no definitive recommendation. But I would start by calling local private hospitals and ask.

eCdD Sep 23rd 2021 10:05 am

Private places only have Sinovac as far as I know. They cannot handle the cooling requirements for Biontech.

But nowadays it is quite easy to catch Biontech, because most of the shots are done with this. Current month 62% Biontech, 28% Sinovac, 9% Astra, 1% Cansino (only rural areas).

The main vaccination center is always the first address for Biontech, you also can write a mail that you need Biontech (like Malaysian students stuying in Europe do). And should be walk in for all now, just talk with them.

Scuba Tyke Sep 23rd 2021 10:39 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 13054774)
Private places only have Sinovac as far as I know. They cannot handle the cooling requirements for Biontech.

But nowadays it is quite easy to catch Biontech, because most of the shots are done with this. Current month 62% Biontech, 28% Sinovac, 9% Astra, 1% Cansino (only rural areas).

The main vaccination center is always the first address for Biontech, you also can write a mail that you need Biontech (like Malaysian students stuying in Europe do). And should be walk in for all now, just talk with them.

Yes, my experience with the places I've spoken to so far is that they are either not doing vaccinations any more or only have Sinovac. I think an added complication will be that My Sejahtera shows I'm fully vaccinated and would need to be updated somehow. I shall keep trying, thank you for your suggestions.

RedApe Sep 24th 2021 6:00 am

In Sarawak we still have Pfizer and also Cansino (which is being used in the remote rural areas and for vaccination resistant (including illegal immigrants and homeless who may not be easily locatable after the first vaccination) and thus where a "one shot" program becomes paramount.

Someone suggested that they get a new mobile and upload MySejahtera anew on that...but I think that would also mean you'd need to put your passport number in.

SushiFan Sep 24th 2021 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 13054226)
Unfortunately Sinovac has not been added to the approved vaccines list for UK & Europe.

By the way, some European countries accept all vaccines which received approval by the WHO (which includes Sinovac). I'm not sure whether this applies to all European countries. So you could travel to one of those countries. When you're inside Europe you can travel freely to other countries.
The UK may, obviously, have its own requirements.

eCdD Sep 25th 2021 8:11 am

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 13055042)
In Sarawak we still have Pfizer and also Cansino (which is being used in the remote rural areas and for vaccination resistant (including illegal immigrants and homeless who may not be easily locatable after the first vaccination) and thus where a "one shot" program becomes paramount.

Interesting to know that for those vaccinated with Biontech or Sinovac the booster with Cansino provides the best results in producing antibody. Hope MOH will look into this.

Scuba Tyke Sep 27th 2021 9:55 am

I'm very happy to report that I have now received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

I went in person to the local vaccination centre last Friday, explained my predicament to one of the staff who was very understanding and sympathetic to my problem. She called someone and then took my details and said she would call back later once she had an answer to my request. The next morning I had a WhatsApp message requesting I go to the My Sejahtra app and log my issue on the helpdesk site, also an email address for me to send an explanation to, which I duly did.

This morning I had a phone call from a doctor asking for confirmation of a few details, then she told me I was approved to have Pfizer. 10 minutes later the vaccination centre called me and confirmed an appointment for this afternoon. All in all a good result and I'm very impressed by, and grateful to, the health authority staff who helped.

SushiFan Sep 28th 2021 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 13056117)
I'm very happy to report that I have now received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine.

I went in person to the local vaccination centre last Friday, explained my predicament to one of the staff who was very understanding and sympathetic to my problem. She called someone and then took my details and said she would call back later once she had an answer to my request. The next morning I had a WhatsApp message requesting I go to the My Sejahtra app and log my issue on the helpdesk site, also an email address for me to send an explanation to, which I duly did.

This morning I had a phone call from a doctor asking for confirmation of a few details, then she told me I was approved to have Pfizer. 10 minutes later the vaccination centre called me and confirmed an appointment for this afternoon. All in all a good result and I'm very impressed by, and grateful to, the health authority staff who helped.

This is a great result. Congratulations!