Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Comments on the New Malacca River Developments & Malacca in General

Comments on the New Malacca River Developments & Malacca in General

Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comments on the New Malacca River Developments & Malacca in General

Anyone been to Malacca in recent times? Interested to hear your comments on the recent developments on and beside the river.

Does anyone remember it from old times? By that i mean pre 2005 I guess.

The Malacca River,was rather polluted but it had a certain character. Those old houses beside the river are long gone I expect.
Local folk used to dispose of all sorts of unwanted things in that water. Also the fishing boats and barges/lighters would off load cargo from freighters anchored off shore.

From a few reports that I've read from comments on the internet it does appear that a certain sterility has has replaced the original anything goes enviroment.

Has something been lost only to replace it with something that can be found in a thousand cities around the world?
Or are the changes impressive and given Malacca a new lease of Life?

Anyone living in Malacca State? How about visited and how did you find the place?
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Comments on the New Malacca River Developments & Malacca in General

I'd be interested in Melacca now. Never got chance to get there on last visit, still quite intrigued by what I hear about it. 99% certain I will stick with Penang but Melacca may be a consideration for a 2nd 2nd Home
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atilla
I'd be interested in Melacca now. Never got chance to get there on last visit, still quite intrigued by what I hear about it. 99% certain I will stick with Penang but Melacca may be a consideration for a 2nd 2nd Home
Actually a rather good location. Not far from Singapore or Kl. Even better a really great bunch of folk from across the race divide can be found there.

Not sure if there are any expats living there these days,but if the locals have retained the friendliness I discovered there many years ago it wouldn't be a big concern for me.

Not saying that i'd return there to live mind,as I do believe it is not necessary a step forward returning to a place that was home for a time long ago.
Disillusionment may result.Although perhaps the changes have been so great that the past wouldn't be recognisably visible anymore.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been there but a friend shared some photos of the riverfront and it looks superb.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Returning for a visit to Malacca several years ago the changes noted were rather extensive.

An entire new area of some proportion had been reclaimed from the sea and well constuctered buildings housing all manner of business had created a new hub and vibe to the city.

The old historical area totally calmed to traffic and spruced up accordingly.
Far less congestion in the way of cars in the centre.

River development had just commenced which was another bid undertaking in the city's development stakes.

New bars and resturants operating in the centre all having a relaxed vibe.

Not bad for a provencial city in what some call a third world country,although as i understand it the term developing will in just a few more years be replaced by developed.

Living in Perth just makes one wonder where exactly is all this so called boom town money going?
Perth being still a rather flat earth sort of place.