British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Coming to KL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/coming-kl-739202/)

sivorb Nov 17th 2011 11:40 am

Coming to KL

Hi everyone,

my wife has accepted a job in KL and the 3 of us (my son will be 4 in Dec) are hoping to move to KL in January. I may have to come back to the UK for a couple of months to finish work and tidy up whatever is outstanding. We're looking at renting a condo around Bangsar (any recommendations gratefully accepted).
I hope to get a job, I'm currently an IT Trainer primarily working with most versions of Microsoft Office.

We enjoy watching rugby, ( I'm too old to play now), but even here in the UK that's mostly on TV. I also play the bagpipes (a decent competition standard at one time) so was wondering if there would be a market for 'hire a piper'. I also used to broadcast on Hospital radio and would love to try to get involved in radio again.

Any help on condos in Bangsar, estate agents, shipping personal belongings is welcomed.
We are really looking forward to getting out there.

ajw Nov 17th 2011 12:05 pm

Re: Coming to KL

Lots of great condo options in Bangsar. It really comes down to your budget. Have a look at iproperty.com.my for rentals.

Presumably your wife will hold the working visa and you and your son will have dependent visas. Keep in mind you cannot work on a dependents visa, you would need to get your own work permit and in order for this to happen a local company has to offer you a job here. It can be done but its not as straightforward as just walking into a job.

KL is a fantastic place to live, good luck with the move!

dreadsoc Nov 17th 2011 2:30 pm

Hi Sivorb

I was just having a look through this forum when I noticed your post as a new member and wanted to say Welcome to BE - you have certainly come to the right place for information.
Unfortunately I can't help with that info as I normally lurk in Goa and India, but I know there are quite a few good folks on here who live and work in KL, so I am sure they will be only too happy to help.

Also your concierge Balkedbean will be along soon to welcome you too and help you around the forum if you need it.

And all the very best with your move

Dread - x

bakedbean Nov 18th 2011 2:13 am

Hello Sivorb :welcome:

We've had quite a few new posters on this board saying they're moving to KL this winter. Do take a good browse through the forum. There's already a lot of info on here and maybe tag on to a few existing threads?

There's also a Search tab. Go to the Malaysia main page <look at top right of this page> You might want to search on Bangsar. Should be quite a lot of threads turn up.

All the best with your planning :)

bobsimpson51 Dec 7th 2011 9:05 am

Hi Dreadsoc,

Am thinking about moving to Goa next year, been in KL now for over 2 years, any pointers on accomodation etc very welcome

I tried to PM you bit I have not posted enough posts yet??!

Rgs,

Bob

:confused:

Originally Posted by dreadsoc (Post 9738558)
Hi Sivorb

I was just having a look through this forum when I noticed your post as a new member and wanted to say Welcome to BE - you have certainly come to the right place for information.
Unfortunately I can't help with that info as I normally lurk in Goa and India, but I know there are quite a few good folks on here who live and work in KL, so I am sure they will be only too happy to help.

Also your concierge Balkedbean will be along soon to welcome you too and help you around the forum if you need it.

And all the very best with your move

Dread - x

bakedbean Dec 7th 2011 12:14 pm

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. Yes you need a few posts before PM function works but I think Dread has got some PC probs at the moment anyhow.

But what you really need to do is to be posting on the Goa forum, which is a very lively forum I can tell you ;)

If you go back to the main Asia forum page, you'll see India then a separate forum for Goa under that. I'm sure Noni and the gang will help you out.

bobsimpson51 Dec 7th 2011 12:34 pm

Hi Bean,

Thanks for the tip, it's an age thing you know!?

:D

:)

bakedbean Dec 7th 2011 12:53 pm

Ya tell me about it.... Senior moments uh :unsure:

All the best

joamelie Dec 8th 2011 3:09 am

Originally Posted by sivorb (Post 9738264)
Hi everyone,

Any help on condos in Bangsar, estate agents, shipping personal belongings is welcomed.
We are really looking forward to getting out there.

Hi Sivorb,
We moved out a year ago now. I'm the one working and husband goes the school run, so when your out here I'm sure he'd take you for a beer.
Loads of condos in Bangsar and Bangsar south that are good. If you would like me to I can put you in touch with a couple of estate agents we used, but you have to be out here before they bother even replying to your emails (well that's what we found). We don't live in Bangsar, but moved to Taman Seputeh which is just the other side of MidValley, it's becoming increasingly popular with expats and the rentals are still more reasonable. Shipping agents we used were Pal shipping:
http://www.shippingtomalaysia.com/
Although we were worried at there relaxed attitude everything arrived on time, undamaged, and to the correct address (we had moved by the time our stuff arrived).
Good luck with the preparations!
Jo

sivorb Dec 11th 2011 9:03 am

Thanks Jo,

my wife will be working at the Sri garden School in Taman Maluri - we're all comimg out in January but I'll have to come back to the UK after a couple of weeks to try to tie up loose ends, hopefully returning permanently no later than March. we are using Pal shipping - packing wooden trunks at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion of Seputeh - will have a look. I think my wife would like to be quite close to the school for the first few months, so we may try looking at that area although we have a couple of weeks in a hotel to start with so that will give us a bit of time to look around.

Hope to catch up when we get there.
Ivor

sivorb Jan 26th 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by joamelie (Post 9776822)
Hi Sivorb,
We moved out a year ago now. I'm the one working and husband goes the school run, so when your out here I'm sure he'd take you for a beer.
Loads of condos in Bangsar and Bangsar south that are good. If you would like me to I can put you in touch with a couple of estate agents we used, but you have to be out here before they bother even replying to your emails (well that's what we found). We don't live in Bangsar, but moved to Taman Seputeh which is just the other side of MidValley, it's becoming increasingly popular with expats and the rentals are still more reasonable. Shipping agents we used were Pal shipping:
http://www.shippingtomalaysia.com/
Although we were worried at there relaxed attitude everything arrived on time, undamaged, and to the correct address (we had moved by the time our stuff arrived).
Good luck with the preparations!
Jo

Well - we've made it here. Had a hotel for the first 2 weeks but have now moved into a nice condo in Cheras not too far from my wife's work. Still finding our feet and my main problem is trying to figure the general direction from one place to another. I usually have a good sense of direction but as I'm not driving yet, I'm finding it a bit more difficult. Anyway, I'm back to the UK on Sunday to tie up some loose ends before coming back permanently.

bakedbean Jan 29th 2012 12:22 pm

At least it's a tad warmer than the UK eh?