British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   CIMB Malaysia and Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/cimb-malaysia-singapore-867871/)

Gunnar45 Dec 22nd 2015 6:02 am

Re: CIMB Malaysia and Singapore

SushiFan,
When you visited the branch, did you ask for the TAC on device option?
Or maybe a mobile is required to initially register?
I don't remember if that was the case, but the 'TAC on device' option is surely there when making online transactions through clicksonline and if I remember correctly I had to pay for getting the TAC generating device.

Shih Dec 22nd 2015 12:32 pm

CIMB stopped offering TAC devices more then 1 year ago.
They gave no explanation.

Gunnar45 Dec 22nd 2015 12:46 pm

Strange, haven't heard about that one.
But my device worked fine yesterday.
See also:
Welcome to CIMB Clicks Malaysia
No word about the device not being available.

bakedbean Dec 22nd 2015 10:12 pm

CIMB works in mysterious ways :sneaky:

SushiFan Dec 23rd 2015 12:43 am

Gunnar, I have not yet visited a branch office. At least for the initial stage is a mobile phone required. I don't know whether multiple options are available once the initial registration has been completed.

Shih Dec 23rd 2015 2:14 am

Originally Posted by Gunnar45 (Post 11819504)
Strange, haven't heard about that one.
But my device worked fine yesterday.
See also:
Welcome to CIMB Clicks Malaysia
No word about the device not being available.

Probably I'm wrong here and they stopped not issuing of new TAC devices but just buying of these devices via CIMB Clicks.

I bought my device via CIMB Clicks 5 years ago and it was really easy and convenient to use.

I tried to google how to get TAC device but could not find any info.

SushiFan Jan 1st 2016 6:42 am

To update my experience with CIMB Clicks: I was able to register my Malaysian mobile phone number at an ATM machine. And then able to proceed with my online registration for CIMB Clicks. An SMS was sent with a verification code.
After my registration had completed was I given two options for future confirmation codes. Either have a confirmation code sent by SMS each time when you need it. Or have "TAC on device" which means that you need to run an app on a tablet or mobile phone.
The bank does not offer a specific device which can generate TAC codes.

Gunnar45 Jan 1st 2016 7:05 am

SushiFan
CIMB works in strange ways indeed.
After writing to my CIMB 'Relationship Manager'on Dec 22 to get some clarifications on this, he responded that the TAC generating device has NOT been cancelled.
But then again, this may only mean that you can continue to use the one you got.
Anyway, I now installed the mobile app as well, thanks for the info regarding this.

IanBlakeley Jan 8th 2016 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11817571)
One remark related to CIMB Clicks: you need to have a mobile phone with Malaysian phone number as they send a PIN code for each action as SMS message. I didn't have a mobile phone number yet and was thus unable to sign up for CIMB Clicks.

I have my CIMB account set to SMS my UK number after I let the Malaysia PAYG expire. I had to go to the branch to request to use a non Malaysian number, they said 10 days to switch it took only 3 or 4.

SushiFan Jan 8th 2016 1:15 pm

Ian, I agree with you. Once you have set it up, using a Malaysian mobile phone number, can you switch to a non-Malaysian phone number. My comment was directed towards the initial setup of CIMB Clicks. That initial step seems not possible if you don't have a Malaysian mobile phone number.

eCdD Sep 5th 2016 8:01 am

we don´t have a proper Banking in MY Thread (or i did not find it), so i use this.

As you might have noticed it is very difficult to get a proper credit card here. Some banks refuse foreigners completely, even with MM2H visas.

Any success stories from MM2H holders with premier or preferred status in terms of getting a credit (not debit) card with no fuss?

IanBlakeley Sep 5th 2016 8:09 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12043924)
Any success stories from MM2H holders with premier or preferred status in terms of getting a credit (not debit) card with no fuss?

Not MM2H, in fact as yet not resident and I have CC from HSBC premier. It came with the high interest deposit account. CIMB offered but I din't see the need for two cards as yet

bakedbean Sep 5th 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 12043924)
we don´t have a proper Banking in MY Thread (or i did not find it), so i use this.

As you might have noticed it is very difficult to get a proper credit card here. Some banks refuse foreigners completely, even with MM2H visas.

I have got a CIMB preferred credit card but, actually, it doesn't really act like a credit card 'cause they expect full payment within a certain time.

Scuba Tyke Sep 5th 2016 8:15 am

My wife and I are on MM2H have our Fixed Deposit (FD) accounts with CIMB and now have CIMB Preferred Visa credit cards. We just needed to open a separate FD account with a sum of money equal to the credit limit agreed. Very simple and no hassle at all.

SushiFan Sep 5th 2016 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Scuba Tyke (Post 12043934)
My wife and I are on MM2H have our Fixed Deposit (FD) accounts with CIMB and now have CIMB Preferred Visa credit cards. We just needed to open a separate FD account with a sum of money equal to the credit limit agreed. Very simple and no hassle at all.

So this means that if you want a credit card with e.g. 10,000 RM credit limit you need to deposit 10,000 RM in a separate FD account? Do you get any interest over this deposited amount?