Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Change of Government After 61 Years

Change of Government After 61 Years

Old May 10th 2018, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change of Government After 61 Years

What an historical time for Malaysia with the first ever change of government since Merdeka. (independence) I wonder if there is a lot of response on the streets in the form of celebration?
One can but wonder what new path will the incoming government take? Few can say it wasn't time. Congratulations to Mr Mahathir, whom at 92 is about to take the reigns again. I was living there the first time he came into power. I know he won't be in position himself for long, but without him, likely it wouldn't have ben achieved.

Here's wishing the new government the best of luck in taking Malaysia into a new and prosperous direction for all its people.
Old May 10th 2018, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change of Government After 61 Years

Forgot to mention that I'll be back there in less than a month after nearly a fifteen year break. What a change to return to.
Old May 10th 2018, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

I read through their alternative 2018 budget to learn more about how they differ from BN. Very interesting, not only numbers but also a lot of views on different matters.
Link here: http://pakatanharapan.my/Budget-2018-EN.pdf
Old May 10th 2018, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldn't open the link to get detail. But no doubt very interesting. The population certainly appear to be rather happy watching from a distance. It certainly came as a surprise to me. It appeared for a time early this morning that things were stalling as results slowed. No doubt some last minute wheeling and dealings behind the scenes, as the result became increasingly obvious. Very interesting anyway. Never thought I'd live to see a change occur in Malaysia.
Old May 10th 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Well the last GE the majority of people voted for the opposition...so it was simply a matter of time. BN thought they could stave this off (in a very Theresa May sort of bumble, calling the election early and without much notice). But with all the gerrymandering of districts it was obvious that it was coming up. I personally think it shows that jettisoning the PAS from the coalition gained more voters than it lost.

I haven't seen much celebration or mourning, though. The Malay Kampungs across from my condos in Kuching are oddly quiet tonight, usually a lot of motorbikes zipping about, some karaoke, but that may be because of the holidays that were called. Or maybe they went to bed early after staying up late. The whole city is actually pretty quiet.

Sabah and Sarawak States politicians don't know what to do. Those in the BN coalition parties have said "you have to be part of the Federal government to get what we want back in Sarawak/Sabah"...but they are now on the outside. One would think if they really believed that then they'd leave BN. They still have the majority in the State legislatures, and in Sarawak the still have the majority of Federal Parliament seats. But they've lost their Ministries and their capability of giving out cash at election time. In Sabah it was perfectly split, but a tiny party that won two seats went over to BN, while at the same time calling for the BN Party to form a "Sabah Independent Party"? Crazy times. But interesting.
Old May 11th 2018, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never realised until recently the influence both Eastern States of Sarawak and Sabah had on the election outcome. Perhaps these states were not as 'positive' towards the change for reasons of funding as hinted at above?

It appears the outgoing PM attempted to sway the result with loads of money for certain Sabah politicians to defect to BN. Happily that didn't happen. Very interesting times indeed ahead in Malaysia.

We only see celebrating on out TV here from the streets of KL and out local Perth Malaysian population endorsing change. One can only admire the vigour apparent in Tun Mahathir, for a man his age. As he has admitted himself, he wants to correct some wrongs he himself introduced.

Malaysia could indeed be a country with a very bright future ahead of it. I'll certainly be checking out its desirability to become a place to retire to. Just to convince my partner to consider that as a alternative to which I hope the forth coming trip will go a way towards doing.
Old May 11th 2018, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The last time Dr Mahathir became PM, he was the only serving world leader that had a book banned I believe. Of course it wasn't long banned once he settled in. I recall buying the book, The Malay Dilemma, as soon as it was in stock after being realised at Lim's Bookshop in the centre of Melaka.

Anyway the change of government, being a momentous moment in Malaysian history, doesn't appear to excite anyone to any degree that may incite a comment. We are mostly all aware of the 'sensitivity' around politics in Malaysia, but considering the occasion something I clearly never thought would be possible, the silence among those living there is deafening.
Old May 11th 2018, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stepen
I read through their alternative 2018 budget to learn more about how they differ from BN. Very interesting, not only numbers but also a lot of views on different matters.
Link here: http://pakatanharapan.my/Budget-2018-EN.pdf
Scrape the recently introduced GST and increase minimum wages are two policies high on the agenda. I wonder just how easy the first one will prove to be now implemented?
Old May 11th 2018, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Scrape the recently introduced GST and increase minimum wages are two policies high on the agenda. I wonder just how easy the first one will prove to be now implemented?
I believe the good Dr M was dead against the introduction of the minimum wage, surprised he supports any increase.
Then again this is politics so nothing should surprise.
Old May 12th 2018, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes. The good Doctor in his own words said something about correcting past mistakes. He no doubt has his legacy in mind and the process of correction has resumed. (standing for re election at nearly 93 itself an example) Be following with a lot of interest developments in Malaysia.
Old May 12th 2018, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Epicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond reputeEpicurious has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway the change of government, being a momentous moment in Malaysian history, doesn't appear to excite anyone to any degree that may incite a comment. We are mostly all aware of the 'sensitivity' around politics in Malaysia, but considering the occasion something I clearly never thought would be possible, the silence among those living there is deafening.
Thanks for your comments.

I suspect most of us living in the country are well aware that we are only guests here, and as such are not allowed to play any part whatsoever in politics. Who knows if an unguarded remark here could lead to some problems at the next MM2H renewal? Or maybe we're just so sick of politics in our home countries that we are pleased to take a detached, observer-only stance in Malaysia?

I will merely say that I was happy to see that the election was conducted peacefully, and hope for a smooth transition of power.
Old May 12th 2018, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Epicurious
Thanks for your comments.

I suspect most of us living in the country are well aware that we are only guests here, and as such are not allowed to play any part whatsoever in politics. Who knows if an unguarded remark here could lead to some problems at the next MM2H renewal? Or maybe we're just so sick of politics in our home countries that we are pleased to take a detached, observer-only stance in Malaysia?

I will merely say that I was happy to see that the election was conducted peacefully, and hope for a smooth transition of power.
As I mentioned I am very aware of the sensitivity around internal events in Malaysia, but this being such a event of historic proportions, I would certainly think those living there should take some interest in such an occurrence. I understand the day to day political front is something of little interest for most ex pats, but guests or not this is something way above that.

Just out of interest do the majority of ex pats take any interest in what's happening around them, or live in a bubble mixing with their own kind?
Old May 12th 2018, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned I am very aware of the sensitivity around internal events in Malaysia, but this being such a event of historic proportions, I would certainly think those living there should take some interest in such an occurrence. I understand the day to day political front is something of little interest for most ex pats, but guests or not this is something way above that.

Just out of interest do the majority of ex pats take any interest in what's happening around them, or live in a bubble mixing with their own kind?
My MM2H approval letter clearly states that I’m not allowed to engage in any political activism. This would be enough ground to cancel the visa. I don’t want to risk this as I like living in Malaysia. Which is why I refrain from any comment related to politics. This does not mean that I live in a bubble.
Old May 13th 2018, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

For myself I occasionally go to various ex-pat meets but really my main social contacts are my wife's family here, if we're not out together or eating out as a couple then it's with family and/or extended family. As for Malaysian politics I like all other non nationals am precluded from voting and like religion it is a touchy subject here best avoided in public.
Old May 13th 2018, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SushiFan

My MM2H approval letter clearly states that I’m not allowed to engage in any political activism. This would be enough ground to cancel the visa. I don’t want to risk this as I like living in Malaysia. Which is why I refrain from any comment related to politics. This does not mean that I live in a bubble.
I would suggest political activism does not entail commenting on such an event of such magnitude. What is being undertaking is not criticism but observing something that will likely have wide changing in the country you, I expect call home. This should not mean a total silence on all going on around you. I'm more interested the social aspects to change than the nuts and bolts of political policy, which id often best, I agree to avoid on a public forum in Malaysia.
Regardless it would be hard to disregard the appearance of excitement in people at the prospect of a 'New Malaysia'. It is certainly something of great interest to me at any rate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.