Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Change of Government After 61 Years

Change of Government After 61 Years

Old May 13th 2018, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice
Default Re: Change of Government After 61 Years

R.R.P (Race, Religion, Politics) has always been a sticky subject because people tend to have very strong views. Spend anytime in a foreign country, and someone is bound to ask you "What do you think"... I try to answer as diplomatically as possible..."no country is perfect, etc..." until I know the person better.
GE-14
IMHO...
Ringgit: To soften again other currencies until more is known about the new government policies.
Cancel GST: A article I recently read said the money the government receives from yearly GST was around 20% of funding. This yearly tax is seen as very stable for planning purposes. Cancelling the GST means this money will have to come now from a less stable source for future planning. New sources of revenue... ??? New MM2H tax ???
Government allocation of funds will most likely increase/decrease to various States according to their new standing with the government.

Although I certainly appreciate the possible changes for the average Malaysians; as a MM2H/foreigner I don't see any significant changes in the near future.
Old May 13th 2018, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously 'sensitive' issues would be unwise to discuss online among outsiders anyway. What is interesting is could this change be the spark for Malaysia to really 'take off' with development Singapore style. I have been amazed at the development from the days I lived there just walking around KL. I haven't been back there in a number of years, but the change in a relative short period was truly extraordinary. This surely impacts to varying degrees on the expat community? AS the country comes closer to full development status changes of all sorts must become increasingly evident?

Any way hope the old world friendliness, of average Malaysians, of all races remains in place and economic advancement and increasing competition has not dissolved that, but will soon form on own conclusions to present day realities at a ground level when there.
Old May 13th 2018, 3:48 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

This is a slightly tricky subject for this forum (as SushiFan had pointed out) since MM2H'ers are supposed to refrain from political activism but clearly all the parameters are changing at the moment and any activism we, as a group, can exert is probably inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

I know died-in-the-wool BN supporters who are now celebrating the "calling out" of the previous government and I think we will see a fair amount of whistle-blowing taking place as a consequence. If this results in a less corrupt government in Malaysia it will be an enormous turning-point in a country whose people are truly magnificent in the way they have turned their backs on the bribes and coercions they have been offered to support the status quo.

I am proud of the Malaysian people for what they have just done.
Old May 14th 2018, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
This is a slightly tricky subject for this forum (as SushiFan had pointed out) since MM2H'ers are supposed to refrain from political activism but clearly all the parameters are changing at the moment and any activism we, as a group, can exert is probably inconsequential in the grander scheme of things.

I know died-in-the-wool BN supporters who are now celebrating the "calling out" of the previous government and I think we will see a fair amount of whistle-blowing taking place as a consequence. If this results in a less corrupt government in Malaysia it will be an enormous turning-point in a country whose people are truly magnificent in the way they have turned their backs on the bribes and coercions they have been offered to support the status quo.

I am proud of the Malaysian people for what they have just done.
I'm 'over the moon' as never thought as I expect did the average Malaysian that change would come in (for many of us) our life times. I do not think to express 'joy' and as you say 'pride' in the Malaysian people for achieving the near thought impossible as political activism of any sort.
It is good to see some ex pats there do share the Malaysian enthusiasm for the changes brought about and not use an excuse that has little to no validity, in not being able to express Malaysia's Brexit (as I hear/read some calling it, but in reverse) Just to add the most popular Malaysian forums are rather political too large degrees.
Having been associated with Malaysia and Malaysians for a very long time, I really do appreciate the enormity with the result of recent election.

Anyway great news. Although as usual the prove will be in the pudding. Go Malaysia.