British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Car options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/car-options-869743/)

Notabot Dec 29th 2015 9:00 am

Car options
 
I know there have been some past posts, looking for any specific input of where to go ( or avoid).

I need a car, used is fine. Seems the small cars are most popular. Considering renting for a few months or long term to learn my way around, parking etc. Past country, I could call a guy who'd bring the car to me with some papers and came back monthly to get paid.

Or if I look for some used car to buy -dealer or private? So many cars proudly state driven few miles by elderly person... Is it believable? Also, anything to know about ongoing service? It's likely going to only be used on Penang.

I've come across two rental companies; one near airport and another in Tanjong Tonkong. I will note however that I would LOVE to get one of the old trucks you see up in Cameron Highlands but it may need to come with a mechanic.

Any input appreciated.
L

JC3 Dec 29th 2015 9:46 am

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by Notabot (Post 11823118)
I know there have been some past posts, looking for any specific input of where to go ( or avoid).

Is it believable?

Also, anything to know about ongoing service? It's likely going to only be used on Penang.

I've come across two rental companies
Any input appreciated.
L

Hi,

In Penang, for rentals I found Magic Green cheap and reliable for the rental of a Myvi for a few months. Note their rates are negotiable, and their cars are fine but a few years old. See: Magic Green.

Kasina is a good alternative, with newer, more expensive cars. You get what you pay for.

If you do buy a car, note that Malaysia’s high humidity climate means engine oil sludge builds up quickly. The locals advised me to change the oil frequently – i.e. about every 5,000km. This may be more often than the service intervals specified in the manual (perhaps not written for a tropical climate), but is a sensible precaution.

Is it believable?....Err, no. Tread very carefully. Here in Penang sellers of just about anything frequently tell farangs what they think we want to hear in order to make a sale, with no thought about building customer loyalty, or reputational damage to their business.

It's all about making a fast buck today, and being economical with the truth is the norm. It's very frustrating when one first arrives. After a while you discover who the honest joes are.

There's lots of used car dealers in the Green Lane area

JC3

SushiFan Jan 12th 2016 12:51 pm

Re: Car options
 
Notabot, have you spent more time and energy on looking for a second hand car? If so I would be interested to hear your experiences as I am about to look into this as well.

Notabot Jan 16th 2016 4:18 am

Re: Car options
 
Hi SushiFan
I've been a bit lazy. I rented a car for a month and although I'm not using it daily, I definitely need one.

I've looked at the online sites, driven on Green Lane where all the used car sellers are, but am still stalling -hoping I come across someone with a recommendation of a place, seller, or salesperson that they've had a good experience with. I'm a bit skeptical that I'll get the real story. But honestly then I realize if I sell it later I'll be the old lady that didn't drive it much ;-)
I also thought about going to talk to the garage nearby, thinking they can hopefully fix things as needed, but didn't try that yet

I'll keep you posted if anything comes up and will be waiting to hear your experience

JC3 Jan 16th 2016 6:21 am

Re: Car options
 
In Penang, another source for second hand cars could be the Spiral Synergy Newsletter, aimed at Expats that often lists cars for sale by expats leaving Penang. I got the latest email newsletter this morning which includes these cars, for example:

BMW 328i - 2012
Registered 2012
36,000km
Black with red leather interior
Bought new from dealer.
1 expat owner - is leaving Penang soon
RM180,000 or best offer


VW Eos 2.0 Turbo Convertible - 2009
Registered October 2009
23,000km only
2 door, 4 seater convertible
White with red leather interior
With full service history (bought new and only one owner)
RM88,000 or best offer

Honda City 1.5IDSI (Auto)
Registered 2007
95,000km - used daily
AC, Electric windows & mirrors, power steering
Recently serviced with AC overhaul & 4 new tyres
RM27,000 or best offer

Hyundai Matrix 1.6GL (2008)
Manual transmission
70,000km
Owner leaving soon - available immediately!
Was RM18,000 now RM15,500


PM me if you want a copy of the email forwarded to you

JC3

Notabot Jan 16th 2016 6:46 am

Re: Car options
 
Thanks JC3,
I just saw that newsletter also.

SushiFan Jan 16th 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Car options
 
Notabot, thank you for your reply. I have come to the conclusion that I need a rental car to be able to visit these car dealers to look for a suitable car. It will also come in handy to buy and transport some bulkier items and to visit JPJ to get my Malaysian driver's license. Step one is to find a rental car for a month. A Myvi is most likely not suitable due to my long legs.

bakedbean Jan 16th 2016 10:33 pm

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11839395)
Step one is to find a rental car for a month. A Myvi is most likely not suitable due to my long legs.

See JC3's post #2 above, though noted that Myvi not suitable. I'm sure they have other models.

InVinoVeritas Jan 16th 2016 11:00 pm

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11839395)
Notabot, thank you for your reply. I have come to the conclusion that I need a rental car to be able to visit these car dealers to look for a suitable car. It will also come in handy to buy and transport some bulkier items and to visit JPJ to get my Malaysian driver's license. Step one is to find a rental car for a month. A Myvi is most likely not suitable due to my long legs.

You will find the Myvi is far and away the cheapest car to hire, Sushi, and it's way bigger inside than you might think! It's also the easiest to park in town.

SushiFan Jan 17th 2016 1:30 pm

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11839795)
You will find the Myvi is far and away the cheapest car to hire, Sushi, and it's way bigger inside than you might think! It's also the easiest to park in town.

I will of course give the Myvi a try, but I know that it is basically a rebadged Daihatsu and I know from experience that I don't fit in a Daihatsu. I tried that once at a Tokyo Motor Show booth. I managed to get in, but needed assistance from booth staff to get out. The embarrassed Japanese staff then politely assisted me out of their booth.

I'm not sure whether you call Proton a car, but they tend to be cheaper to rent than a Myvi.

InVinoVeritas Jan 17th 2016 1:36 pm

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11840213)
I'm not sure whether you call Proton a car....

No more than I would call the person behind the wheel of a Proton, a driver. :eek:

SushiFan Jan 18th 2016 8:10 am

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11840217)
No more than I would call the person behind the wheel of a Proton, a driver. :eek:

In that case you may want to avoid me as I will be driving one during the coming month. I have not driven a car for over 15 years, have next to no experience with automatic transmission and will probably engage the window wipers if I want to turn right (or was it left?). So probably I won't stand out among the locals. I don't know why but people continue to drive on the wrong side of the road....;)
Oh yes, one of the first trips will be to pick up my Malaysian drivers license. Should be fun.

InVinoVeritas Jan 18th 2016 8:22 am

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11840815)
In that case you may want to avoid me as I will be driving one during the coming month. I have not driven a car for over 15 years, have next to no experience with automatic transmission and will probably engage the window wipers if I want to turn right (or was it left?). So probably I won't stand out among the locals. I don't know why but people continue to drive on the wrong side of the road....;)
Oh yes, one of the first trips will be to pick up my Malaysian drivers license. Should be fun.

NeonHippy is the expert on getting a Malaysian driving licence (or not) ;)

On the subject of wipers and indicators, I regularly swap between left-hand drive and right-drive and driving them both on the left and the right (according to country) and have no problem at all adapting to this but do you think I can find the right stalk to indicate? :angry_smile:

bakedbean Jan 18th 2016 8:27 am

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 11840815)
will probably engage the window wipers if I want to turn right (or was it left?).

Yeh I do that :lol: Cars are so confusing eh.

NeonHippy Jan 18th 2016 9:20 am

Re: Car options
 

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11840828)
NeonHippy is the expert on getting a Malaysian driving licence (or not) ;)

Prophetic words IVV, prompted by your glowing reference I was prompted to check my progress on the JPJ website. Not the easiest thing as everything is in Malay. Even when you find the button for English most of it is still in Malay.

I will report on how to navigate the website later, but the disappointing news is that my application has been rejected. They have very kindly attached a letter but it is in Malay! Oh well a trip to JPJ tomorrow to find out why.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:10 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.