Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Can you get immunisations in KL?

Can you get immunisations in KL?

Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

JKLMAL14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you get immunisations in KL?

Hello again!

This is sort of carried over from a previous post. I have been costing up vaccinations for my family and am panicking a bit at how much it is going to he! The worst one is Japanese Encephalitis. My question is can you get these jabs in KL once you arrive, has anybody had any there? I am just wondering whether we can maybe spread the cost a bit.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:34 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get immunisations in KL?

I think you can get most jabs done at polykliniks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I think you can get most jabs done at polykliniks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Pretty sure you can, BB - for a price, of course No idea what the going rates are, though.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Well Japanese encephalitis for 3 doses is £270 per head! That's before we start on any of the others. In Bangkok you can get the one dose for life for £20!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:33 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

That particular vacc is only recommended for rural areas. Not necessary if your going to be spending most of your time in KL. If you really think its necessary wait till you get here.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks ajw. That is going to be the plan! The medical centre has come back to me really quickly, they do the one shot of JE for £20! Immunity after 10-14 days so we will just get it done within a few weeks of arriving to be on the safe side. The rabies injections appear to be more expensive though so we'll get them here. There is £800 saved!
Old Jan 6th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Immunizations are also offered at Government hospitals albeit, very much cheaper than the private hospitals or clinics.

However, I am not certain whether it is available for non-Malaysian.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

ruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud ofruby_tuesday has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JKLMAL14
Thanks ajw. That is going to be the plan! The medical centre has come back to me really quickly, they do the one shot of JE for £20! Immunity after 10-14 days so we will just get it done within a few weeks of arriving to be on the safe side. The rabies injections appear to be more expensive though so we'll get them here. There is £800 saved!
WOW! £20 a shot? That's fantastic isn't it?
Bloody rip-offs in the U.K.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruby_tuesday
WOW! £20 a shot? That's fantastic isn't it?
Bloody rip-offs in the U.K.
At the gov hospitals we Malaysian get it for free
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

But don't you have to pay into some kind of EPF?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bakedbean
But don't you have to pay into some kind of EPF?
EPF (Employee Provident Fund) is meant for savings for retirement and yes we did contributed it before when I was an employee. It was mandatory for me to set aside 11% of my monthly income, while my employer 12% towards the EPF fund.

Once I hit 50, I could withdraw a portion of it, and the balance at 55 or 60.

Since now its our own business, we have the option not to contribute to it.

The Malaysian Government heavily subsidies the government hospitals through taxes, of which we are only required to pay RM1 to see the Doctor.

However for surgeries, we prefer to get it done at private as there is no waiting.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 1:49 pm

Going totally off topic and all my fault but I think it's a great system EPF in Malaysia and CPF in Singapore...way to go
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

DoriBea86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it easy to get the vaccination for Rabies in KL? There is not enough time for me to have it in the UK before I leave.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi DoriBea6,

The Twin towers medical centre in Kl quoted me prices for all jabs and you can just walk in without an appointment. They do the rabies jab but surprisingly although all the others were far cheaper than UK, rabies was quoted as 460MYR per dose.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

DoriBea86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick reply

I wondered if it would be more expensive there but I guess I don't have a choice now since the GP here won't do a prescription for it so close to my travel date. Realising the impact of accepting a job at short notice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.