Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Buying a new car - Does it matter which State's Car Reg Plate you choose?

Buying a new car - Does it matter which State's Car Reg Plate you choose?

Old Jan 26th 2019, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Buffie is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Buying a new car - Does it matter which State's Car Reg Plate you choose?

Hi Guys,
I'm about to purchase a new car and I was asked by my car dealer which State Reg plate I'd like to choose for the car. The dealer informed me that anyone can choose any State regardless of where the car was purchased and where the person resides. Dealer said there was no practical difference with a plate from another State to having a car plate where the car was purchased, the traditional approach.
The benefit with choosing a plate from another State is you may get a "nicer" number. I'm based in KL, thinking about getting a plate from another State where the Plate number is shorter..failing memory I'm afraid

Does any know of any problems with having a car plate from another State?
Assuming the car dealer is correct there shouldn't be but it's better to double check!

Thanks in advance guys.
Buffie

Old Jan 26th 2019, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a new car - Does it matter which State's Car Reg Plate you choose?

Originally Posted by Buffie
... thinking about getting a plate from another State where the Plate number is shorter..failing memory I'm afraid
Most license plates have a very similar structure, consisting of three letters followed by three or four digits. Not a lot of variety between the various states.
Unless you are willing to pay a lot for a special vanity plate.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...es_of_Malaysia
Old Jan 26th 2019, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Buffie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a new car - Does it matter which State's Car Reg Plate you choose?

Thanks SushiFan for the Link, it covers the border-less registration system which answers my question. Extracted below in case anyone is interested.

Starting 1 May 2014, the border-less registration are now implemented nationwide.[12] This system allows vehicle owners to register the vehicle from desired states and allows slow registered number plates to be registered anywhere regardless according to geographical location. Example of the success of implementation are KelantanD (Currently DDG) number plate are issued more in West Coast more than ever, beating Melaka (Currently MDB). Before the border-less registration being implemented, the Kapit Division of Sarawak were maintained in QP series from 1991 until late 2014, QPA issued quickly after QP 9999 reached in 2014, it took 23 years for Kapit division to complete QP series; then QPB was started issued on 8 May 2018. Same case also to Perlis R number plate (RT started issued on 23 October 2017 after 2 consecutive months of both RR and RS running). Lots of R number plates were registered in Kuala Lumpur. Border-less registration creating vehicles no longer registered according to states and divisions and they were often registered based onto similarity to more developed neighboring country format. Example are Sabah and Sarawak number plates are very popular in Johor due to similarity to Singaporean number plates also Selangor and Kedah number plates are very popular in Miri due to similarity to Bruneian number plates.