Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Buying cheese in Malaysia

Buying cheese in Malaysia

Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying cheese in Malaysia

I picked up a fairly decent bottle of port at duty free recently and have been dreaming and dribbling about Port and Stilton at Christmas. It just goes, doesn't it? (For those non-Brits, Stilton is the king of cheeses - well at least I think so)

Having searched high and low in Penang, I found a pathetic looking little bit of Stilton in Cold Storage this morning priced at almost 30 Ringgits. Sheesh.... in real money that is GBP 6.15 or EUR 7.22 or AUD 9.65 I just couldn't do it, so settled on piece of Danish Blue at a mere 10 Ringgits.

If anyone knows where to get cheese at reasonable cost - and kept well (that's another issue) do let me know.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying cheese in Malaysia

I'm sure I've seen some stuff in Tesco.
Not the same as you get from Tesco in UK - Tesco Finest - which is some good cheese.
I always bring loads back from UK which lasts me 2 months.

Talking about prices again I see Brussel sprouts are being sold here for 12 quid a kg.
And of course they are selling like hot cakes.

I'm not ranting.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Stilton, is that the smelly stuff aka blue vein cheese!

I prefer brie myself or camembert especially the ones from King Island

So, during my next visit to Penang, I should bring a whole suitcase of quality cheese and Brussel sprouts and make a small fortune......well enough to pay for my trip will be A ok for me.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:53 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ex Reg, are you based in Malaysia now? I've lost track completely. We've got a big Tesco about to open in Tg Tokong but just not yet. I think it's planned for 1st quarter of 2011, and cannot come soon enough.

Redbean, yup it's that smelly blue cheese but it is wonderful. I like gorgonzola too. I'm interested that you mentioned King Island as I saw some blue veined cheese marked King Island, had a kinda black wax around it. I think it was 17 ringgits and I thought about it but plumped for the Danish Blue in the end. I've noticed that a lot of the Aussie cheeses are well wrapped which is important here, as the cheeses do go off quickly.

Not a bad idea about the suitcase of brussels sprouts, heh heh. Though how many of us still do roasts? I don't. Much too hot in the kitchen for that.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:50 am

Yes I thought so but just wasn't sure as you seem to be up in Malaysia a fair bit. Thought I might be having one of those senior moments.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I've worked in Sarawak, Sabak, Labuan, and JB and KL.
We like Malaysia and it's great to get out of the pressure cooker.

Malacca and Penang are places we visit regularly and Desaru of course although not much to do there.
Gone off Labuan and KL and Kuantan is a bit too far to drive regularly.
But we are going to try out a few more places in Johore although doubt very much they will be return destinations.

Perhentian Islands and Kota Bahru will have to wait.

Don't really fancy Genting again or Cameron Highlands or Frasers Hill although we haven't been to the last two named. Tioman is too quiet and not much doing.
Old Dec 23rd 2010, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ex reg
I've worked in Sarawak, Sabak, Labuan, and JB and KL.
We like Malaysia and it's great to get out of the pressure cooker.

Malacca and Penang are places we visit regularly and Desaru of course although not much to do there.
Gone off Labuan and KL and Kuantan is a bit too far to drive regularly.
But we are going to try out a few more places in Johore although doubt very much they will be return destinations.

Perhentian Islands and Kota Bahru will have to wait.

Don't really fancy Genting again or Cameron Highlands or Frasers Hill although we haven't been to the last two named. Tioman is too quiet and not much doing.
Meant Langkawi instead of Labuan in the bolded bit.

Must've been caused by the fact that when working in Labuan and playing squash one evening a local guy started a big argument with us about us supposedly using the court he'd booked. He was drunk at the time as well.
Anyway he held his palm out in front of my face and said 'tomorrow at this time your head will be sitting on my palm'. Only he said it slurring his words a bit.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Labuan is a serious cowboy town at best. I mean all Chinese cafes only sell booze, not food. You want food go to Mamah store. ...and those guys off the rigs, like a boozy tide of red jump suits sweeping through town.

Back to cheese, Danish blue IS better than the King Island stuff which tastes a bit like chemical. But Stilton is another matter. Best ever was a whole cheese in a west country pub with maggots and scoop the soft centre with a spoon. Now THAT was cheese.

We have a rule...nobody comes to stay without a block or two of reasonable cheese. More valuable than a bottle of booze even.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 5:07 am

Maggots... oh yech. Well wouldn't allow that now in the UK, what with all the EU rules

I had a lump of the Danish Blue last night, just to accompany a couple of large glugs of port. It was very nice. Not Stilton for sure, but better than the Danish Blue we used to get in the UK. I think it may have "matured" a little bit in Cold Storage. But of course everything matures in Cold Storage, heh heh.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Castillo White http://www.castellocheese.co.uk/range-white.php you can get in Tesco and you need to leave it out to warm up...sort of get a bit runny and brings the flavour out. Just the thing with a glass of something from the grape.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:52 am

That looks jolly nice. I'm waiting patiently for the new Tesco to open in Tanjung Tokong which will be fairly close for me.

There is a big Tesco halfway down Penang Island but it's a drive and it's got the daftest entrance/exit. Have to go up tons of escalators and you can be sure, if you buy anything perishable, it will have gone off by the time you get it to the car.