Bunting anyone?

Old Aug 4th 2016, 1:08 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bunting anyone?

I am told there are Chinese restaurants in Malaysia that serve bunting. I've never come across one, has anybody else?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 3:19 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunting anyone?

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I am told there are Chinese restaurants in Malaysia that serve bunting. I've never come across one, has anybody else?
Jeremy Clarkson ate one on TV.

Here in Malaysia they are probably only available on the blackmarket and then served on the Q.T. at certain restaurants for their ‘special’ customers.

Eating songbirds is much more common in China I believe, although I doubt the Chinese drown them in Armagnac, unlike the French!

See: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ina-study-says

With every bite, as the thin bones and layers of fat, meat, skin, and organs compact in on themselves, there are sublime dribbles of varied and wondrous ancient flavors: figs, Armagnac, dark flesh slightly infused with the salty taste of my own blood as my mouth is pricked by the sharp bones. As I swallow, I draw in the head and beak, which, until now, have been hanging from my lips, and blithely crush the skull.
From the book Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain (American chef).

JC3
Old Aug 4th 2016, 11:55 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JC3
Jeremy Clarkson ate one on TV.

Here in Malaysia they are probably only available on the blackmarket and then served on the Q.T. at certain restaurants for their ‘special’ customers.

Eating songbirds is much more common in China I believe, although I doubt the Chinese drown them in Armagnac, unlike the French!

See: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...ina-study-says

With every bite, as the thin bones and layers of fat, meat, skin, and organs compact in on themselves, there are sublime dribbles of varied and wondrous ancient flavors: figs, Armagnac, dark flesh slightly infused with the salty taste of my own blood as my mouth is pricked by the sharp bones. As I swallow, I draw in the head and beak, which, until now, have been hanging from my lips, and blithely crush the skull.
From the book Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain (American chef).

JC3
A phone number would have sufficed, I take it you don't have one
Old Aug 4th 2016, 12:38 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

A phone number would have sufficed, I take it you don't have one
Cross my palm with silver...

JC3
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:09 am
Hostage Negotiator

Not getting very far with this.

I thought the attached photo may interest you JC3 - it's how the ortolan are eaten in France - the cloth over the head increases the olfactory sensation. Most people think it's just another masonic ritual

PS I'm second from the left
Attached Thumbnails Bunting anyone?-ortolan.jpg  
Old Aug 5th 2016, 5:32 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

Not getting very far with this.

I thought the attached photo may interest you JC3 - it's how the ortolan are eaten in France - the cloth over the head increases the olfactory sensation. Most people think it's just another masonic ritual

PS I'm second from the left
Looks like you're all hiding your faces from God.

Last night I asked the old Chinese-Malaysian auntie (Lim) who traps monitor lizards scavenging at night for dead fish the tide brings in at Kampung Karut. Somehow I was sure she’d know. Lim can tell you where to go.

You’ll find her once or twice a week around 6pm-7.30pm at her stall in Batu Ferringhi on the side road near the school, where she fries her lizard steaks in breadcrumbs. I think what day she's there depends on whether she's caught enough or not.

The tail is the best part - tastes a bit like rabbit, only sweeter and more juicy. Be sure to try the lizard soup too.

As the Chinese say: "If its back faces heaven, you can eat it”.

JC3

Last edited by JC3; Aug 5th 2016 at 6:24 am.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 7:50 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by JC3

Last night I asked the old Chinese-Malaysian auntie (Lim) who traps monitor lizards scavenging at night for dead fish the tide brings in at Kampung Karut. Somehow I was sure she’d know. Lim can tell you where to go.

You’ll find her once or twice a week around 6pm-7.30pm at her stall in Batu Ferringhi on the side road near the school, where she fries her lizard steaks in breadcrumbs. I think what day she's there depends on whether she's caught enough or not.

The tail is the best part - tastes a bit like rabbit, only sweeter and more juicy. Be sure to try the lizard soup too.

As the Chinese say: "If its back faces heaven, you can eat it”.

JC3
I'm shocked you could eat lizard
Old Aug 8th 2016, 1:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by JC3

I found Lim when I was in BF last might and now have the details of the restaurant - thanks for the tip JC.

PS She said if you ever need a screw urgently she may be able to save you the drive to Gurney.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 2:26 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

I found Lim when I was in BF last might and now have the details of the restaurant - thanks for the tip JC.

PS She said if you ever need a screw urgently she may be able to save you the drive to Gurney.
OK great.

Auntie Lim is lovely, but I think I'll take a rain cheque.

It's easy to miss the bunting place - as you drive up the street it's on the left. If you see the Blue Parrot you've gone a little too far.

JC3