Reload this Page >

Building own poperty in Penang

Building own poperty in Penang

Old May 13th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Siu Kee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building own poperty in Penang

Hi everybody,
we have partly retired under MM2H here in Penang and love it here.

Unfortunately we are quite devastated since we seem not able to find a suitable home (you know - landed but a bit more than the size of a stamp, just 1 to 2 stories not 3 or even 4, rooms sizeable and spacious enough so one don't have to squeeze around the 3m dining table, and of a decent acceptable construction quality).

So the solution we thought is to build a house of our own. But ...
We are not able to find a local architect firm which has experience in designing and building houses for european expats who are not looking for ultra modern asian style.

Is there anybody out there who has some experience with architects here in Penang or even Malaysia and would like to share them with me?

I would love to here from you!!!

Silke
Old May 13th 2013, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Building own poperty in Penang

Have you considered buying an old property and doing it up.
New elec, plumbing, sanitation, maybe roof, enlarge rooms etc.

Try and look for an interior designer they will usually have access to builders and the changes etc may well be cheaper than a new build.

Just a thought.
Old May 13th 2013, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Yes, we considered that as well but decided against it. At least for now.

Too many compromises we are not yet willing to take.

But thanks for your tip.
Old May 14th 2013, 3:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Siu Kee and welcome to the forum

I'm in Penang though not sure I can be of much help to you. I presume you have already looked at the E&O houses in Straits Quay? And Ferringhi Villas at the far end of Batu Feringhi?

I have friends who bought a house up near Eden Parade, just beyond Eden Fairway condo....you'll probably know where I mean. They pretty much gutted the place and started again I think. They're away at the moment but I'll write myself a note to email them, see if they can point in the right direction.

I'm also going to a Penang support group meetup this afternoon so will ask around if anyone knows about architects here.

Which part of Penang are you attracted to? Must be very difficult finding a larger plot I imagine. We've been here almost 3 years but in a condo.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Aarrgh...
this is now the third time I am writing an answer. Every time it seems I am hitting a key and then the message is gone. Where it went? I have no idea!
Maybe we all find in total three times my answer. So please, don't think I lost it. Just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

So, here we go again.....

Thank you so much for your welcome and your offered support. Means a lot to me (and every time I start again with this message, it means more)

We know those houses you wrote about and find them too stylish, having too many nieches, alcoves, balconies, small rooms, terasses, corners, too many stories and no respectable kitchen at all. (So that is not exactly what I wrote before, but I get tired to rewrite all the time)

Old houses are mostly too damp and smelly, full of fungi and need to be completely knocked down and rebuild. Why bother with them if one can create an own home which suits perfectly? That is only an option in my opinion if the plot is exceptionally nice and well situated and affordable.

Furthermore we have actually pretty precise ideas about our home and "only" need the archtict to firstly understand the expectations of us europeans, secondly to prepare a proper plan and thirdly to take care that our quality standards are met while under construction.
So if you hear about an architects with above mentioned experience I will be really grateful.

And regarding the area.... huhu, we like Tanjong Bungah (rented an appartment here), but when I observe the available plots and their prices, I think it will be a piece of land in some fishing village on the west coast of the island. Thankfully Penang is rather small...

Again thank you for offer!
Old May 14th 2013, 9:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the west side of Penang mostly National Park or Malay land?

Quite honestly I do not know where you will get a European build quality. You'll be very lucky I think if you do.

I've been chatting to a couple of people this afternoon. There is a guy, a renovator called Mr Lim, who a number of folks that I know have used for renovation work. One person today said that Mr Lim will also build a house from scratch. I can tell you that the renovation work he does is recommended by many here (though usual Penang problems of not turning up when stated, etc etc) but I don't know anyone who has actually had a house built by the guy.... so that's a bit risky uh? I'm happy to send you Mr Lim's HP number by PM if you wish but.... it's at your own risk.

Anyway, all the best with that. A bit of a tall order I think.

Maybe not of interest, but I know of folks getting houses built in Melaka, but maybe you wouldn't be interested in that.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't find what you want in Penang or Malaysia then why not use a European architect? You can provide them a land survey and your requirements / vision and they can design your house from afar.

Scratcher
Old May 14th 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

hi together,

mr. Lim sounds to be a nice man, but I wouldn't throw a complete building project on him. One never know when it would be ready.

Who ever builds in Melaka, if malaysian architects are involved I indeed would like to get the contact. Maybe they're just to be found not in Penang?!

Scratcher, thanks for your tip. Maybe you are right. I thought using a local architect gives advantage during the actual construction period. You know, dealing with local construction companies, authorities ...

Anyway, you both gave me more aspects to think about. My thanks!!!
Old May 14th 2013, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Scratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond reputeScratcher has a reputation beyond repute

You can use a local Project Manager to control the construction. It is not necessary for the Architect to do this.

I would prefer to use a good but distant architect than a crap local one.

Scratcher
Old May 15th 2013, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siu Kee

Who ever builds in Melaka, if malaysian architects are involved I indeed would like to get the contact. Maybe they're just to be found not in Penang?!
Siu Kee, my wife and I are going to build a house in Melaka. Would one of the reasons for getting a local architect not to be to help you through the Planning Permission phase? You know, submitting detailed plans to the relevant authorities? Or is Planning Permission not actually required in Malaysia? I thought it was.

There seem to be plenty of architects, and quite a few builders, in Melaka. Apparently there are builders of different qualities ranging from A to F - I don't know all of the ins-and-outs, but my wife has carried out fairly detailed research, and am comfortable leaving such decisions to her.

So far, we have had our land totally cleared and the next stage seems to be to get it level and then put down hard core which then has to settle before we can commence the build. Once level, we aim to bring in an architect to get detailed plans drawn up, although we might actually bring him/her in now. I think a local architect is preferable, because he/she can see the land for him/her self and help determine actual placement of the house, garden, gate placement, car parking/garage and swimming pool. The architect should then also be able to carry out Project Management, which would not be possible for a European architect. I can see Scratcher's point about using a local Project Manager..... but then again, how do you know a local PM is any good? Or would fully understand the plans?

In terms of builder's, we have spoken to one, and seen some of his work. We were put off using him (even though the standard of his build was excellent) because, between contacting him by email last September, and meeting him in March this year, his price had practically doubled! We suspect that this was our first real introduction to "white-skin" pricing at its best!!! The second time was 2 weeks ago - my wife had agreed a price for the hire of a JCB and driver for a week. The day he started work, and saw me, he tried to increase the price!!! Fortunately, my wife convinced him that they had already agreed on a price and we wouldn't pay him any more. I now tend to keep a low profile/out of sight, whenever any pricing has to be discussed!

Last edited by Bluenose1; May 15th 2013 at 3:51 am.
Old May 24th 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Siu Kee
hi together,

mr. Lim sounds to be a nice man, but I wouldn't throw a complete building project on him. One never know when it would be ready.

Scratcher, thanks for your tip. Maybe you are right. I thought using a local architect gives advantage during the actual construction period. You know, dealing with local construction companies, authorities ...

Anyway, you both gave me more aspects to think about. My thanks!!!
Have you got any further forward on this, Siu Kee?