Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

British Expat Faces Death Penalty in Malaysia

British Expat Faces Death Penalty in Malaysia

Old Dec 17th 2010, 1:29 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation British Expat Faces Death Penalty in Malaysia

Silly, silly woman....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Malaysia.html

I feel sorry for her/their teenage sons
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Expat Faces Death Penalty in Malaysia

Yup very stupid - and would get the same sentence in Singapore too I imagine, if it had happened there. Why are some people so stupid? No don't bother answering that.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:50 am
Banned

athlonfx is an unknown quantity at this point

amen, pray for her..
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Silly, silly woman....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Malaysia.html

I feel sorry for her/their teenage sons
That is so sad indeed. Nobody deserves a fate such as this - hanging.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Ya, but if she definitely knew what she was doing and knew of the consequences (death penalty) only herself to blame - and should we really feel sorry for her? Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I really don't think much of anyone dealing in drugs.

And it is a good deterrent. Just look at Singapore. You don't see so much drug traffic going through there and that's 'cause they are very tough on these issues. A bit of an emotive subject, right?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Apparently the b@#* husband of hers got her addicted to heroin because she threatened to leave him. I hope he got the death penalty as well.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

As I read it she was "doing" drugs, not pushing drugs. There is a difference. Frankly I find her story 100% believable as I have met some of the types like her husband and on the east coast she has no place to hid or get help. Her stupidity was probably marrying a Muslim, without understanding exactly what that means.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Couldn't agree more with you, Strider about not bothering to learn the seriousness of what it meant to marry and live in a country with such a different culture and religious belief.

Some westerners like to think the rule doesn't apply to them and then find out the hard way that it does.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
As I read it she was "doing" drugs, not pushing drugs. There is a difference. Frankly I find her story 100% believable as I have met some of the types like her husband and on the east coast she has no place to hid or get help. Her stupidity was probably marrying a Muslim, without understanding exactly what that means.
Afraid I have known at least four foreign women married to Malay men and only one I would have descibed as reasonably content,apart from prejustice and discrimination she(English) claimed she had to endure in the office work place.
Although a converted Muslim,it appeared some of the other women treated her as less than an equal.

Another from Holland did a runner from her husbands family house and fled back to Europe after constant bad treatment by her mother in law with her husband usually supporting his mother in how useless she was.

Next was German. Met her through her brother who had come out to Malaysia to as he put it rescue his sister,whom was being held almost as in a jail she had told him.
That was unresolved as she decided a lot was her fault for not adapting better,then she couldn't leave her child.

Really these foreign girls had little or any knowledge what they were getting themselves into prior to relocating.

Also another big thing is often their husbands present as being very different overseas and then revert back to a traditional Malay man on returning home.
Not always easy to spot when in the west.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Ya, but if she definitely knew what she was doing and knew of the consequences (death penalty) only herself to blame - and should we really feel sorry for her? Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but I really don't think much of anyone dealing in drugs.

And it is a good deterrent. Just look at Singapore. You don't see so much drug traffic going through there and that's 'cause they are very tough on these issues. A bit of an emotive subject, right?
Yes and no. Do recall though in George Town when the police had a stake in the roughly sixteen opium dens that were operating in late 79 early eighties.

Heard on numerous occassions from young foriegners "chasing the dragon"as it was known (consumption of opium) that the police would raid,get paid off and return a few weeks later.

Corruption in the police is far from unknown in Malaysia so would treat so called evidence accordingly.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:08 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Afraid I have known at least four foreign women married to Malay men and only one I would have descibed as reasonably content,apart from prejustice and discrimination she(English) claimed she had to endure in the office work place.
Although a converted Muslim,it appeared some of the other women treated her as less than an equal.

Another from Holland did a runner from her husbands family house and fled back to Europe after constant bad treatment by her mother in law with her husband usually supporting his mother in how useless she was.

Next was German. Met her through her brother who had come out to Malaysia to as he put it rescue his sister,whom was being held almost as in a jail she had told him.
That was unresolved as she decided a lot was her fault for not adapting better,then she couldn't leave her child.

Really these foreign girls had little or any knowledge what they were getting themselves into prior to relocating.

Also another big thing is often their husbands present as being very different overseas and then revert back to a traditional Malay man on returning home.
Not always easy to spot when in the west.
Asia is a man's world.

Can't think of any successful female foreign / Thai marriages either due to local mentality and behaviour. It's not just a muslim / Malay thing.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Asia is a man's world.

Can't think of any successful female foreign / Thai marriages either due to local mentality and behaviour. It's not just a muslim / Malay thing.
Indeed. From what I witnessed in Thailand and to a lesser extent in Cambodia it was also hard enough for Farang men married to local girls to maintain the love.
Saying that many also appeared to have overcome difficulties and sailing on calmer waters....
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:44 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Indeed. From what I witnessed in Thailand and to a lesser extent in Cambodia it was also hard enough for Farang men married to local girls to maintain the love.
Saying that many also appeared to have overcome difficulties and sailing on calmer waters....
One of the biggest mistakes that foreign guys make in Thailand is either picking the lowest hanging fruits or jumping into things too quickly with a woman when neither side really knows that much about the other. Added to that language difficulties and different culture stuff and the odds on it working out get longer and longer.

I would say to anyone spend a good few years in country first and to take things very slowly if you think it might be the " the one ". So many guys seem to get married when they hardly know a thing about the other half.

Depends where you meet the bird obviously too. Was it over a game of connect four or in the office where you work.

I'm generalising a bit here bedause there are always exceptions. I've come across ex gogo dancers with hearts of gold and women with a masters earning six figure salaries who were real bitches.

On a personal note I'm quite happy with the Mrs. so it's working for me. So far so good.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
One of the biggest mistakes that foreign guys make in Thailand is either picking the lowest hanging fruits or jumping into things too quickly with a woman when neither side really knows that much about the other. Added to that language difficulties and different culture stuff and the odds on it working out get longer and longer.

I would say to anyone spend a good few years in country first and to take things very slowly if you think it might be the " the one ". So many guys seem to get married when they hardly know a thing about the other half.

Depends where you meet the bird obviously too. Was it over a game of connect four or in the office where you work.

I'm generalising a bit here bedause there are always exceptions. I've come across ex gogo dancers with hearts of gold and women with a masters earning six figure salaries who were real bitches.

On a personal note I'm quite happy with the Mrs. so it's working for me. So far so good.
Like relationships everywhere you can win or loose. Often a lot of added on complications arise with besides the cultural differences which can prove difficult enough, great variations in age play out as well.

Some men though seem to dispense of reality in the tropics and don't think a lot with their head.
This can be a fatal flaw indeed from my experience in Thailand.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There was the case of a London girl who was banged up in Laos with the threat of execution as well.

She was released perhaps a year ago. Lost the facts now but a very lucky girl indeed.
Wonder if some money changed hands?

At the time she was in jail there a young UK fellow died of disease and another was reported to be rather ill.
Conditions in Lao jails would be worse perhaps than Thai,I imagine.

All those backpacers down in Van Vien,smoking week after scoring from local bar and cafe owners,one can't help but think that they are setting themselves up for trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.