British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   BigPay, is it really big? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/bigpay-really-big-915365/)

Foodi Jul 26th 2018 2:31 pm

BigPay, is it really big?

Hi, as we will be back to Malaysia, no doubt we will use AirAsia a lot. But their payment processing fees are ridiculous. USD 6 for credit and debit cards, USD 3 for local banks like CIMB Click. It seems the only way to avoid the processing fees is to join their BigPay. I wonder if anyone has used them and cares to comment. Is this really convenient as they claim? Can we pay shops and other services with it? Can we use it abroad, etc? Thanks.

jonboy Jul 26th 2018 7:35 pm

Re: BigPay, is it really big?

I joined their "Big Member" club, I kid you not:rofl:

I did not see any extra card charges added to the fare and I had booked from the UK using a Mastercard, mind you it was about 10 weeks ago.

Epicurious Jul 27th 2018 1:02 am

AirAsia accused of bypassing surcharge ban with ‘processing fee’
That was in March - it may have changed since. I remember Jetstar was charging RM23 card processing fee!

Foodi Jul 27th 2018 1:44 am

Interesting! I'm a Big member as well but they still charge me USD 6 for a one way ticket. So they have not changed their practice since the article... The only way to avoid the fees now is to join their BigPay programme but I wonder how widespread its use is.

Epicurious Jul 27th 2018 2:58 am

Looking at my records, I was charged RM8 processing fee for a one way Airasia flight booked in April, using a UK Visa credit card

I'm not (yet) a member of BigPay and I don't think it's commonly used in shops. Malaysia is still very much a cash economy, though the usual Visa/MC cards are very widely accepted.

SushiFan Jul 27th 2018 7:46 am

I notice that various companies start promoting e-wallets. I get a lot of email advertisement from companies such as Grab, TIME, Maxis, AirAsia, Lazada. Of course are none of these systems standardised or exchangeable: each want to lock in their customers. What I guess (but don't know for sure) is that these e-wallets do not receive the same credit interest percentage as a bank account. And that these companies make a profit by managing the money stored in the wallets by their users. Instead of subdividing my money over various e-wallets do I keep it in my bank account and accept the processing fee which AirAsia charges.

ex reg Jul 27th 2018 8:24 am

Why don't Airasia include the processing fee in the flight cost.

Nobody would know and no complaints.

Just asking, like.

Foodi Jul 27th 2018 2:16 pm

Interesting questions! I don't think you make any interest with that. BigPay website mentions no fees to use it (except to withdraw cash) for the time being. The limit to put in the card is RM 10,000. You can only spend what you have (not a credit card). I don't mind having some cash money in e-wallets as long as there is no fee using it and it's well accepted in stores and online shopping. Will probably give it a try and report after.

jonboy Jul 27th 2018 7:43 pm

I now see that they did add a "processing fee". 180B as the flight was from Thailand to Malaysia. I guess I looked at the bottom line and just paid up.

Foodi Jul 27th 2018 7:59 pm

Thb 180 is about USD 6. I'm surprised that Epicurious only paid RM 8. I tried Visa, Master cards from several American and Canadian banks, as well HSBC Malaysia debit card, all require USD 6. Maybe the fee has gone up since Epicurious bought the ticket or your bank has some special arrangements with Air Asia like CIMB Clicks.

Epicurious Jul 28th 2018 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Foodi (Post 12539614)
Thb 180 is about USD 6. I'm surprised that Epicurious only paid RM 8. I tried Visa, Master cards from several American and Canadian banks, as well HSBC Malaysia debit card, all require USD 6. Maybe the fee has gone up since Epicurious bought the ticket or your bank has some special arrangements with Air Asia like CIMB Clicks.

It may depend on the flight route. Mine was from KL. If yours was from another country, or booked in another country, I guess Airasia is not constrained by Malaysian regulations?

SushiFan Jul 28th 2018 7:32 am

AirAsia provides an overview of their fees and charges on this webpage: https://www.airasia.com/my/en/our-fa...d-charges.page
As you have to select origin and destination I guess the rates depends on the actual trip.

Foodi Jul 28th 2018 5:51 pm

It might indeed be the case. My ticket is bought outside of Malaysia and for a flight also originating outside of the country.