British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Big lizard (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/big-lizard-879034/)

InVinoVeritas Jun 17th 2016 9:26 am

Big lizard

Funny video here about a rather big lizard in a house in Nonthaburi:-

Hia! Monster monitor lizard really wants to get into Nonthaburi home (VIDEO) | Coconuts Bangkok

I heard from a friend in Penang that Ferringhi Villas is "infested" with these fellas. :rofl:

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 3:44 pm

Re: Big lizard

Im bored in Canada so went browsing abroad. That is one hell of a creature!
I love the translation of the name:thumbup:
We just get big furry creatures at our doors, in the shape of black bears pinching the bird food and grapes straight off the vines:thumbdown:

InVinoVeritas Jun 17th 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11976393)
Im bored in Canada so went browsing abroad. That is one hell of a creature!
I love the translation of the name:thumbup:
We just get big furry creatures at our doors, in the shape of black bears pinching the bird food and grapes straight off the vines:thumbdown:

Well it's nice to see you on our side of the Pacific, Stinky. I think it may be a monitor lizard which we also get in Penang - not the prettiest of house visitors ;)

Stinkypup Jun 17th 2016 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11976403)
Well it's nice to see you on our side of the Pacific, Stinky. I think it may be a monitor lizard which we also get in Penang - not the prettiest of house visitors ;)

Thanks :thumbup:I think that they have quite a cute facial expression, almost smiling- presumably omnivores, capable of snaffling a small dog or a cat?

WiredTight Jun 18th 2016 3:39 am

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this little guy last month just prior to Paragon.

Stinkypup Jun 18th 2016 3:42 am

Originally Posted by WiredTight (Post 11976773)
I saw this little guy last month just prior to Paragon.

At least it is down the drain and not ringing on some poor sod's doorbell as if it were delivering pizza :cool:

bakedbean Jun 18th 2016 8:47 am

Are monitor lizards dangerous though? They seem quite friendly to me, at least the ones wandering about the Botanic Garden.

OriginalSunshine Jun 19th 2016 1:05 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11976879)
Are monitor lizards dangerous though? They seem quite friendly to me, at least the ones wandering about the Botanic Garden.

Their bite is incredibly strong, and the saliva in their mouth is very toxic. You don't want to be bitten by one.

I've seen monitors quite regularly in Sarawak that are that long, and some that are longer (2+m long - judged by it being longer than my RAV4 at the time). However, they are skinny, and more of an up scaled version of a gecko, than the meaty monster in that link!

Gunnar45 Jun 19th 2016 1:24 am

Here is some interesting information.
It would probably apply also for the lizards in S-E Asia.
Anyone for Monitor Lizard Rendang?
Catching and Eating Lizard ยป Preparing With Dave

Scratcher Jun 21st 2016 5:39 am

I lived in Penang 15 years ago. One evening I went for something to eat at a chinese place next to the foot temple (just south of where the second crossing is) and I saw the biggest monitor lizard I had ever seen looking for fish scraps from the fishing village. I swear the head was the size of a pony. I have never seen a lizard remotely close to the size of that one again.

I'm now living in rural Johor, and a neighbouring Indian family are often seen skinning and cutting up ordinary size monitor lizards. I presume for a lizard curry.

Scratcher