Bars and pubs in Penang

Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:20 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bars and pubs in Penang

Originally Posted by columbine
http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/1629625
It's still around:
Hong Kong Bar
371 Lebuh Chulia, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia +60 4-261 9796 ‎
Thanks for the link. I heard about the fire. didn't know it was that long ago.

Good to read that its been rebuilt.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 2:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
Now it has changed hands and we should see some fine dining hopefully (saw that posted when they still had the metal fences around during construction).
Hoping that it's not too fine dining as I doubt it'll survive. All those expensive looking eateries down Straits Quay always seem to be totally empty whenever we walk by. It seems to me, people here have money and they will invest in property, but they don't seem to invest in an expensive meal. Just my 2 sens-worth.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Of course, the Hong Kong bar is still around. Jenny, the one and only Jenny is still serving behind the bar. Unfortunately the judebox, the swinging door and the air conditioning are all gone but the lovely bubbly Jenny is waiting to serve any ex-Raffies who happened to drop by.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbean
Of course, the Hong Kong bar is still around. Jenny, the one and only Jenny is still serving behind the bar. Unfortunately the judebox, the swinging door and the air conditioning are all gone but the lovely bubbly Jenny is waiting to serve any ex-Raffies who happened to drop by.
Well that's good news. I really don't recall it when last in George Town in must be late 04.
Was in Chulia St as well as looked in the Swiss Hotel as knew the previous owner.
Expect it quiet these days? Tai Ann Hotel was another popular one on the same street. Famous for their Banana Porridge.... Couple of others spring to mind as well but more famous for their lewid night life.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yer Maw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not exactly an Ex-Pat, but hope my post is still welcome. I'm in the RAF and we are travelling to Butterworth next month for an exercise. Staying at the Evergreen Laurel in Georgetown. I was over there 12 years ago, but just looking for an update on bars and clubs to go to. Noticed a couple of posts about the RAAF Bar, is that the one that had the wee swimming pool next to it and the terrace? Visited there last time and wondered if it was still there as they were very welcoming. Cheers.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 3:39 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Your post is very welcome. You don't have to be expat on here, nor British for that matter. All welcome

RAAF Bar? Dunno... is that the same as the RAAF Club mentioned on page 1 of this thread? Probably some of our Aussie posters may be able to help.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

RAAF bar and the wee swimming pool are still there but they are in the base in Butterworth. I think you may still access it if you claim to be an ex-defence personnel and is on a memory trip.

Good luck with gaining entrance to the ex-RAAF base.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by redbean
RAAF bar and the wee swimming pool are still there but they are in the base in Butterworth. I think you may still access it if you claim to be an ex-defence personnel and is on a memory trip.

Good luck with gaining entrance to the ex-RAAF base.
The last time I was there we stayed at the Berjaya on Burmah Road and the bar I'm talking about was only 5 minutes away from there. I don't think I will have any problem accessing the base as I'll be working there.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 2:52 am

Last Christmas we were over at a friend's place and met with an Australian couple. He was with the Australian Navy here in Malaysia and he was talking about going to some "duty free" Forces bar. I'm not sure if this was in Georgetown or Butterworth. The bar, I mean. Don't know if this would be the same place? I know that our friends were going to try and muscle in on getting into the Bar. I'll have to try and remember to ask them if they succeeded.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Last Christmas we were over at a friend's place and met with an Australian couple. He was with the Australian Navy here in Malaysia and he was talking about going to some "duty free" Forces bar. I'm not sure if this was in Georgetown or Butterworth. The bar, I mean. Don't know if this would be the same place? I know that our friends were going to try and muscle in on getting into the Bar. I'll have to try and remember to ask them if they succeeded.
Cheers mate. There were some Aussie and Kiwi civvies drinking in there too at the time. They sold us crates of beer at pretty much cost price for drinking in our room, from a big walk in cooler out the back of the bar. I still have a beer cooler I bought there with "RAAF Centre Penang" on it. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Originally Posted by Yer Maw
Hi, not exactly an Ex-Pat, but hope my post is still welcome. I'm in the RAF and we are travelling to Butterworth next month for an exercise. Staying at the Evergreen Laurel in Georgetown. I was over there 12 years ago, but just looking for an update on bars and clubs to go to. Noticed a couple of posts about the RAAF Bar, is that the one that had the wee swimming pool next to it and the terrace? Visited there last time and wondered if it was still there as they were very welcoming. Cheers.
What kind of bars and clubs are you looking for? Wide variety here all of which will appeal to different folks on different nights. Easier to get a feel of what you're after than try to do a run-down of each.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

The Hong Kong Bar did lose some memorabilia in the fire & even though the place was not insured they managed to build it back up again.

There is still a lot of Aussie armed forces memorabilia in there though.

A couple of recent photos on here:

http://www.spy.my/penang/bars-pubs.html
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

The Queensbay area where I live has seen yet another new bar open its doors last week with the Berlin Bier Houz adding to the long list of bars now in this up & coming area.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atilla
What kind of bars and clubs are you looking for? Wide variety here all of which will appeal to different folks on different nights. Easier to get a feel of what you're after than try to do a run-down of each.
Well there will be about 45 of us there altogether mate, though not all out in same place at same time. Quite a wide age range too. Just looking for bars and clubs with a bit of atmosphere and dare I say it, a few ladies maybe.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

OK. Others may well have different opinions but, a run down of some options:

Clubs - all in Upper Penang Road (UPR) unless stated otherwise. Wednesdays is 'Ladies Night' (free drinks) in most places but Fri/Sat still WAAAY better.
Mois: Disco catering to the younger crowd (25 may be considered pushing it here). Good music. Big place!!!
Voodoo: SLIGHTLY older crowd. Bit more cold looking inside but can be good. Bit smaller than Mois and perhaps less 'happening'.
H2O (was Fame): Off and on here. OK on Fridays for a change.
Slippery Senoritas (SS): More mature crowd. Live music and DJ. OK Weds, v good Fri / Sat (now).
QE2: This is at the Jetty in Georgetown. Nice open air feel to it, overlooking harbour. Weds is dead but Fri very good, mostly. Sat, so so. Beer is reasonable for Penang (RM 20 pint).
Hard Rock Hotel: Batu Ferringhi. A way out this place and too far for many, esp if it's crap. Worth a look when they have special parties.
Soho: This is in Penang Road, almost opposite Oriental Hotel (Penang Road is the continuation of UPR after you cross at T junction (UPR is pedestrian). Just as much a bar as a club but has a good (ish) DJ and can be good Fri/Sat after about 11pm. Rest of the time it's one of the best for reasonable priced draught beer (RM17 pint).

Bars
Many up in UPR. Vary as to how good they are. Most a bit basic and shabby. Really a case of walking in and out to find the best. Most dead until 10/11. Popular ones are Zanzibar, D-Joint and Monkey Bar.
Overtime: Gurney Drive, near Evergreen Hotel. Cracking place with good music and big crowd. Beer is not cheap here though!!! Esp the 'Starker' they serve at RM 35 pt IIRC they have bottles around RM 15. They do a happy hour, 6-7 IIRC, where it's 'buy one get one free'.
Straits Quay: Two Irish themed pubs here and one German. Healy Mac's is the liveliest. Finnegans I always find a bit dull. German bar is a bit sedate. Beer is OK price wise but more than QE2 and Soho.

There are others and lots of places dotted about. These are the mainstream though. I avoid most of the hotel bars, over-priced and boring IMO. Some say that QE2 and Straits Quay can be good around 5-7pm with the office turn out crowd. never got round to trying those times yet

Last edited by Atilla; Oct 1st 2011 at 4:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.