British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Back Home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/back-home-785260/)

bakedbean Jan 27th 2013 2:12 am

Back Home?

I just wondered what folks on here think of as "home".

I had some friends over for lunch yesterday, all expats, and we got talking about whether we would stay in Penang or not. One lady said Oh no, I will eventually go "back home" :confused:

But, that's the thing.... she still thinks UK is "home". I think Penang is Home and no plans to move currently, and sure wouldn't wish to go back and live in my country of birth (England).

How about you?

Bocat Jan 27th 2013 1:23 pm

Re: Back Home?

I still refer to Scotland as home. Even though we have no plans of going back either. I think I started saying it as I didn't want to upset my parents when we moved here at first. I also wanted the kids to know Scotland was their home.

However, 5 years on I refer to both here and Scotland as home so my kids are probably as confused as I am!!

akee Feb 3rd 2013 2:16 am

Penang will always be home to me... No place else has fantastic Asam Laksa...

ajw Feb 3rd 2013 5:16 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10507691)

I had some friends over for lunch yesterday, all expats, and we got talking about whether we would stay in Penang or not. One lady said Oh no, I will eventually go "back home" :confused:

But, that's the thing.... she still thinks UK is "home". I think Penang is Home and no plans to move currently, and sure wouldn't wish to go back and live in my country of birth (England).

How about you?

Different for us because we are not retirees, but Australia is still and always will be, home.

At the moment, I couldn't imagine spending the rest of my days in Malaysia :unsure:

Hovite Feb 5th 2013 5:48 am

1 Attachment(s)
"Home" for me, colloquially, is currently my apartment in Japan (living and working) but permanently is a small estate outside KK where my wife lives and son and his family live nearby. The view is not bad either. UK is a closed chapter.

bakedbean Feb 5th 2013 8:07 am

This is KK? not Japan I take it. Looks nice.

Hovite Feb 5th 2013 8:27 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10525840)
This is KK? not Japan I take it. Looks nice.

Hi bakedbean, yes it's KK, well a few miles outside to be exact.

The view in Japan is not so nice, but Japan is a nice place and so are the people. "Back home" is definitely Sabah for me.

bakedbean Feb 6th 2013 5:33 am

Gosh, I'm surprised at all the overhead power lines... just like Phuket, Thailand :D

We did a View from my Balcony or Front Door thread a little while back. You can see my views on there. Link below.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779686

Hovite Feb 28th 2013 11:53 am

Hi bakedbean, sorry for late reply. Yes I did see that thread - photos were interesting, but did not have time to add my own post. KK will be home for me once I have saved up a pension working here in Japan

nonthaburi Mar 7th 2013 10:53 am

Home is where I will hope to be retiring which is in the house we built in NE Thailand . Got a lot of land with the option to buy more and I've done a lot of work creating a garden . So by the time I retire I should have my own private jungle !!

Adnams Mar 7th 2013 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 10507691)

How about you?

We've been expating for 13 years and I still think of England as home.

bakedbean Mar 8th 2013 2:03 am

and presumably miss the Adnams :D

kennyboy33 Mar 8th 2013 3:44 am

Have been in M'sia for three months now.

At first England was definitely still home...now a little time has passed, uk not quite so much as home.definitely not missing English weather