Astro Problem

Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Astro Problem

I've got Astro installed and channel 812 (Fox Sports) is faulty. When watching it the screen goes blank and the sound goes off every now and again, it's really annoying. I've phoned the help desk but they are useless. Any techies out there that know how to resolve this?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:56 am
Just Joined

GavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Astro Problem

Hi Dan, are you getting your Astro via satellite or broadband?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinJS0
Hi Dan, are you getting your Astro via satellite or broadband?
Hi Gavin, I'm assuming satelite (I'm in an apartment block and the guy just came in have me a decoder and put the cable on), any ideas?
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

GavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to beholdGavinJS0 is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like it could be a communal building system. Best way to check is:
1. Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems, AND;
2. Check some of these other channels which share the satellite transponder with Fox Sports (NHK World Premium, History Asia, MTV South East Asia, Astro on Demand 351, 353 and 354, Australia Network Asia, ART Variety, CNN Int. Asia Pacific, TVBS Asia, 8TV, Jaya TV, Fox Asia, Astro TVIQ).

If your neighbours are also having problems then your building manager will need to get up on the roof and clean and possibly realign the dish. The culprit is usual bird s*!t.

If just you are having problems, you'll need to find your own dish and clean and realign.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:40 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, have you only just had it installed? If so, might just be the weather? We've had some thunderstorms lately and the TV goes blank for a while sometimes...that's just normal in this weather.

Hey Gavin, welcome to the forum
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Ah yes of course, thanks Bankedbean, I'd forgotten about "rain fade" in tropical countries. I've only just moved here.

Dan you can find more info here: http://support.astro.com.my/HelpCent...3-cdf39269771d

And thanks for the welcome.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GavinJS0
Sounds like it could be a communal building system. Best way to check is:
1. Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems, AND;
2. Check some of these other channels which share the satellite transponder with Fox Sports (NHK World Premium, History Asia, MTV South East Asia, Astro on Demand 351, 353 and 354, Australia Network Asia, ART Variety, CNN Int. Asia Pacific, TVBS Asia, 8TV, Jaya TV, Fox Asia, Astro TVIQ).

If your neighbours are also having problems then your building manager will need to get up on the roof and clean and possibly realign the dish. The culprit is usual bird s*!t.

If just you are having problems, you'll need to find your own dish and clean and realign.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Gavin, I will give all that a try. I thought it was just the one channel but didn't realise about channels sharing the satelite transponder. I have also not spoken to any neighbours yet so that will be a good way to say hello if they speak English

Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Dan, have you only just had it installed? If so, might just be the weather? We've had some thunderstorms lately and the TV goes blank for a while sometimes...that's just normal in this weather.

Hey Gavin, welcome to the forum
Yes I've only recently had it installed, just a couple of weeks actually. I thought it might be the weather but it was fine the other day and it was only this channel. Everyone from work just said 'welcome to Malaysia'
Old May 5th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

Slight thread drift here. We have just bought a TV and would like to sign up for ASTRO. Problem is that we will only be spending about 2 months a year in Penang for the next few years. Is there any way to sign up for Astro on a short term contract so that we dont waste money paying for Astro when we are not in Penang?
Thanks
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Rusty,

Astro have a little-known pre-pay service called NJOI. You can find out more about it here:
http://www.astro.com.my/njoi/

Essentially with the basic service for a one-time fee you'll get the set-top-box, access card and dish and all the free-to-air channels. You can then purchase access to additional channels on a PAYG basis.

The only downside is that the majority of the channels available are not English language. AstroFirst and Supersport4 are about the only channels you might be interested in.