Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

ASEAN Girl-friend Immigration Question ???

ASEAN Girl-friend Immigration Question ???

Old May 2nd 2016, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice
Default ASEAN Girl-friend Immigration Question ???

As a new Tourist/Resident to Penang Malaysia, I'd like to say Thank You for all the great info on this forum.
After 4 plus years living in the Philippines, I have now "Moved" to Penang for a bit of less chaos for the next year.
My Philippine Girlfriend is scheduled to visit in the next few weeks. I've already made it quite clear that her staying with me will be completely legal (no overstays) and she will have to renew her Tourist VISA every 30 days (RP 30 day tourist VISA).
We are both aware of the extra attention she (her country) receives when they travel... and she has asked me if she will require a Sponsor Letter from me.
I've told her that she is a Tourist, and their shouldn't be any problems having her visit, but... reality sometimes isn't so clear.

For the record, she's not a Bar-girl, and knows how to dress and act conservatively when she travels.

Has anyone experience any immigration problems or hassles having their Asian GF visit ???

Any info is much appreciated.
Old May 2nd 2016, 6:54 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ASEAN Girl-friend Immigration Question ???

Some info on this here:
Visa Requirements for Philippine Passport Holders – Malaysia | Touring Buddy provides Visa requirements for American, British, Philippine and Canadian passport holders | TouringBuddy.com

JC3
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:16 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiredTight
As a new Tourist/Resident to Penang Malaysia, I'd like to say Thank You for all the great info on this forum.
After 4 plus years living in the Philippines, I have now "Moved" to Penang for a bit of less chaos for the next year.
My Philippine Girlfriend is scheduled to visit in the next few weeks. I've already made it quite clear that her staying with me will be completely legal (no overstays) and she will have to renew her Tourist VISA every 30 days (RP 30 day tourist VISA).
We are both aware of the extra attention she (her country) receives when they travel... and she has asked me if she will require a Sponsor Letter from me.
I've told her that she is a Tourist, and their shouldn't be any problems having her visit, but... reality sometimes isn't so clear.

For the record, she's not a Bar-girl, and knows how to dress and act conservatively when she travels.

Has anyone experience any immigration problems or hassles having their Asian GF visit ???

Any info is much appreciated.
Hello WiredTight and a big welcome to the Malaysia forum and also thanks very much for your appreciation of the information our helpful members provide in this forum.

JC3 has already pointed you to a website which may answer your question but it would helpful to know a little bit more about your own visa/residency situation and any plans you may have to settle down here more permanently as this could open up more options.

++IVV
Old May 2nd 2016, 9:46 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum

What kind of visa are you here on? MM2H?
I'm afraid the only Filipina I know here is married and on MM2H with her husband, so that's not much help to you.
Old May 2nd 2016, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies.
The MM2H program is appealing, but before I put or lock my money in, I plan on staying here as a 90 day tourist visa for the next year.
For the last 3 years, the GF and I have travel extensively in and around Asia. In most cases she is waived through immigration with no problems, but every now and then she is given the "20 questions" by an over zealous immigration official.
The first time this happen to her, I had to remind her that many of her country women/men are known to work, and overstay on their tourist visa's. Later that first night I pointed out a couple Filipina's standing under a neon bar sign..."hmmmm looks like they are looking for boyfriends".
Anyway we've been in and out of Malaysia on holiday quite a few times, so her name should be in the system showing that she's never overstayed before. She'll have all my contact info, and I also plan on getting her a open-ended return ticket just in case.
Old May 2nd 2016, 12:55 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Noted that you plan to be a visa runner or, in other words, won't have a valid long term visa. You may wish to read the topic about Visa Running on here.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:48 am
Just Joined

ken911 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would add that the Philippine Immigration (on Departure) will probably insist on seeing a return ticket back to the Philippines. At least that was always necessary before I had my wife included on the MM2H.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:59 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken911
I would add that the Philippine Immigration (on Departure) will probably insist on seeing a return ticket back to the Philippines. At least that was always necessary before I had my wife included on the MM2H.
Welcome to the forum ken911 and thanks for adding that advice.

On the subject of MM2H I seem to remember that you are entitled to bring in a maid which may be worth WiredTight considering before taking the plunge into marrying his girlfriend.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend here who for a year now has tried various options (except marriage) without success. At the most he managed to get a 60 day visa otherwise only 30 days at a time. (And he has been willing to pay up agents and other fees and charges)
As per him, the maid option would only be available for married couples and also the Phil authorities may create a problem there if the lady has some other vocational training.
Ken911 advice for for having return ticket when exiting Philippines should also be considered.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Welcome to the forum ken911 and thanks for adding that advice.

On the subject of MM2H I seem to remember that you are entitled to bring in a maid which may be worth WiredTight considering before taking the plunge into marrying his girlfriend.
IVV. Thank you for the welcome.

I believe that the bringing in of a maid option is quite onerous, but I imagine with a good agent it would be one way of doing it.

Also, am not sure where you would stand with regards living together as an unmarried couple in Malaysia as opposed to being married. Probably ok, but worth checking.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ken911
I believe that the bringing in of a maid option is quite onerous, but I imagine with a good agent it would be one way of doing it.
Hello ken911 and welcome. The official MM2H website gives some details on the requirements and procedure:

Apply For A Helper - MM2H Official Portal
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Hello ken911 and welcome. The official MM2H website gives some details on the requirements and procedure:

teejaydee Thankyou for the welcome.

As Gunnar45 pointed out, the Maid/Helper option is only for married couples, so I guess that this option is not suitable for the OP.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

My friend tried the option through an agent, ended up paying a lot without any for him positive result.
Bad part was that due to this his GF ended up with an overstay and had the PP confiscated. That issue is not resolved yet as far as I know.
Old May 3rd 2016, 8:56 am
Hostage Negotiator

Originally Posted by teejaydee

Thanks teejaydee, I see there are some guidelines too:-

This may be the sticking point which Gunnar45 is referring to:-

c. The employer and his spouse should have:
i. Children under 15 years of age OR
ii. Parents who are sick / ill
Old May 3rd 2016, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Thanks teejaydee, I see there are some guidelines too:-

This may be the sticking point which Gunnar45 is referring to:-

c. The employer and his spouse should have:
i. Children under 15 years of age OR
ii. Parents who are sick / ill
Yes, the Malaysian authorities are not fools. I would not expect them to allow young single men to bring in young single women as "helpers".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.