Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:43 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Hi there, can anyone who has stayed on the island give me their recommendations on places to stay?

We have had a look at a few websites but the amount of accommodation available is quite incredible, so any advice would be welcome!

Nicky
Old Jan 29th 2006, 4:03 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi there, can anyone who has stayed on the island give me their recommendations on places to stay?

We have had a look at a few websites but the amount of accommodation available is quite incredible, so any advice would be welcome!

Nicky
Hello

We stayed on Langkawi for Christmas 2003, and in Kuala Lumpur for the New Year. We stayed at the Mutiara Burau Bay hotel which I can honestly say was completely excellent. The only thing I could fault it on was that it's restaurants were poor and expensive (with the exception of the breakfast which was excellent, varied and included in the price). For instance, a very average pizza was about £10. However on the second night there we found a great way round this. Right outside the hotel gates was a food stall with a few plastic tables where Malaysians gathered in the evenings to eat. The food there was delicious, fresh and cost £1 per head for 2 courses!! So you'll guess where we ate for the rest of our stay.

Here's a couple of piccies of the hotel from our stay.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers

Buzzy
Attached Thumbnails Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?-mbb1.jpg   Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?-mbb2.jpg   Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?-mbb3.jpg   Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?-mbb4.jpg   Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?-mbb5.jpg  

Old Jan 29th 2006, 7:47 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Nicky
PM Scissors or GSB as they stayed on Langkawi when they emigrated to Aus last year!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky
The Datai and it's new neighbour on Datai Beach
Superb design,fabulous rooms, excellent food
There can be few better
World class.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:53 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second Wellingtons recommendations there. If you have kids the new one (think its called the Andaman Datai or something like that) is probably better. If you're on your own, go for the Datai. Only downside to it is to get to the beach you go along a wooden walkway (only 50 yards or so) thru a mangrovey type area, and it was full of mossies when we were there. But don't let that put you off - the hotel is great.

The other one to think about is the Tanjong rhu, which is for my money, the best beach on Langkawi. Its a bit smaller, a bit more refined, and very nice. We were there once and Michael and Ralph Schumacher were on the next sunbeds, resting between the Australian and Malaysian GP's! Can't be bad if they shed some of their megamillions on it...
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:43 am
HEL
EEN

HEL is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed at the Berjaja resort - v nice and a few cheap restaurants nearby. Posts above are for the best hotels but they were out of our price range.

Enjoy your holiday

Nicky
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:49 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Originally Posted by HEL
Posts above are for the best hotels but they were out of our price range.
With the exception of my post, which was the cheapest hotel on the island!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 30th 2006, 9:42 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HEL
We stayed at the Berjaja resort - v nice and a few cheap restaurants nearby. Posts above are for the best hotels but they were out of our price range.

Enjoy your holiday
Thanks Hel - yep, the Datai and Tanjung Rhu look gorgeous but are hideously expensive and we can't afford them. I haven't looked at the Berjaja - I'll do that now - but I've been quoted £46per night for a beachfront bungalow at the Tanjung Sanctuary, which is 4star - that's the cheapest so far!

Nicky
Old May 23rd 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Thanks Hel - yep, the Datai and Tanjung Rhu look gorgeous but are hideously expensive and we can't afford them. I haven't looked at the Berjaja - I'll do that now - but I've been quoted £46per night for a beachfront bungalow at the Tanjung Sanctuary, which is 4star - that's the cheapest so far!

Nicky
Which hotel did you go with in the end? We are planning to stop in Langkawi en-route to Perth in November. Our daughter will be 18mths old then so looking for something suitable for families.
cheers

Ros
Old May 23rd 2006, 4:29 pm
In my own little world!

Originally Posted by rpa34
Which hotel did you go with in the end? We are planning to stop in Langkawi en-route to Perth in November. Our daughter will be 18mths old then so looking for something suitable for families.
cheers

Ros

Hi Ros,

We were very happy with the resort we stayed at - it was the Tanjung Sanctuary, a lovely quiet resort on the North-West side of the island.

There are about 38 chalets, set into a bush-land. The rooms have a dining table and seating area as well as king-size beds and a private balcony - a little shabby in places but overall not too bad and a great size. There's a small swimming pool with great views over the bay and a really lovely private beach, which is sheltered and great for kids.

I'll PM you some info and a link to their website if you're interested. We would recommend hiring a car for a couple of days to explore the island, although the hotel will organise taxi's for you but the cost can mount up.

Nicky
Old May 23rd 2006, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of
Post Re: Anyone stayed on Langkawi, Malaysia?

Hi Ros,

We were very happy with the resort we stayed at - it was the Tanjung Sanctuary, a lovely quiet resort on the North-West side of the island.

There are about 38 chalets, set into a bush-land. The rooms have a dining table and seating area as well as king-size beds and a private balcony - a little shabby in places but overall not too bad and a great size. There's a small swimming pool with great views over the bay and a really lovely private beach, which is sheltered and great for kids.

I'll PM you some info and a link to their website if you're interested. We would recommend hiring a car for a couple of days to explore the island, although the hotel will organise taxi's for you but the cost can mount up.

Nicky

Thanks Nicky for the feedback. Hotel sounds ideal. Did you take taxi from airport to hotel or did hotel collect you on arrival? Looking forward to hearing more.
Cheers from wet, wet, wet London.

Ros
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:00 pm
In my own little world!

Thanks Nicky for the feedback. Hotel sounds ideal. Did you take taxi from airport to hotel or did hotel collect you on arrival? Looking forward to hearing more.
Cheers from wet, wet, wet London.

Ros
Yep, there's actually a little 'taxi' desk just before you leave the arrivals terminal. You pay in advance, they give you a receipt and pop you into your taxi - all very civilised! The hotel will also organise taxi's for you using the same principal.

If you're staying more than a couple of days, it would be worth hiring a car as the resort is too far to comfortably walk anywhere. I'd advise caution if you use the hotel to organise it, as we did that and got ripped off. In retrospect, we wished we'd just sorted it out when we were at the airport as there are desks just by where you collect your luggage - they offer some reasonable deals, or the other option is to go into the main town, Kuah, where there are loads of operators.

Cheers (from an equally wet Yorkshire!)

Nicky
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, there's actually a little 'taxi' desk just before you leave the arrivals terminal. You pay in advance, they give you a receipt and pop you into your taxi - all very civilised! The hotel will also organise taxi's for you using the same principal.

If you're staying more than a couple of days, it would be worth hiring a car as the resort is too far to comfortably walk anywhere. I'd advise caution if you use the hotel to organise it, as we did that and got ripped off. In retrospect, we wished we'd just sorted it out when we were at the airport as there are desks just by where you collect your luggage - they offer some reasonable deals, or the other option is to go into the main town, Kuah, where there are loads of operators.

Cheers (from an equally wet Yorkshire!)

Nicky
Thanks again Nicky!! By the way, found the website for those bungalows you recommended, they look superb. Bit alarmed by one testimonial though, a woman opened her balcony door one morning only to be greeted and swamped by the monkeys. She finished by saying they were actually harmless and great fun.
I think they might infact scare the living daylights out of our 20month old daughter..thats if they don't run off with her... Did you encounter these monkeys?

cheers,
Ros
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:19 pm
In my own little world!

Thanks again Nicky!! By the way, found the website for those bungalows you recommended, they look superb. Bit alarmed by one testimonial though, a woman opened her balcony door one morning only to be greeted and swamped by the monkeys. She finished by saying they were actually harmless and great fun.
I think they might infact scare the living daylights out of our 20month old daughter..thats if they don't run off with her... Did you encounter these monkeys?

cheers,
Ros
Yep, but only from a distance - we were in a beachfront chalet which are alot higher up at the back, hence not so easy for monkeys to gain access to the balcony.

We saw two different types - the absolute adorable Langurs (see link below) http://www.ecologyasia.com/html-loc/langkawi.htm who seem to be tree-dwellers. They came through the trees behind our chalet a couple of times, and we were transfixed by the mothers with their tiny babies. The troupe were so quiet that, unless they call to each other, you wouldn't know they were there. We felt quite privileged to have been able to see them.

The ones the lady is talking about are all over the island - can't remember their name - but we didn't have any problems with them at the resort. We saw them sitting on the front porches of the chalets nearer the bay-side but we just ignored them and they didn't bother us. Trouble is, they have probably been encouraged by tourists feeding them, so I'd be very wary about letting children walk around with food in their hand - although this is something you'll need to be mindful of whereever you go on the island as the monkeys congregate at tourist spots! At the resort, we honestly only saw them a couple of times and they weren't a problem. Think the resort has taken steps to discourage the monkeys and they also ask guests not to feed them, encourage them etc.

Nicky
Old Aug 5th 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

stayed at the holiday villa last year, its on the beach, restruant excellent and well priced across the road a lovely local restruant food excellent but soooooooo inexpensive, going back there next month on way the nz. hubby flying directly to wellington but kids and i are having 4 day break whilst he hopfully finds us rented. hope you have a good time. wendy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.