British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Anyone selling a car? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/anyone-selling-car-720679/)

optimistic_jim Jun 12th 2011 9:44 pm

Anyone selling a car?

Hi all,

anyone selling or know of anyone selling a car in or near Kuala Lumpur around mid-July? I'm moving there and would like to buy a car, however prices are very steep to say the least! So if there are any expats moving on and want a quick sale by offering me a special "welcome to KL" fellow expat in need deal....;) Then I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Or if anyone has any tips or recommendations on where to get a decent second hand car then please post it for me, much appreciated.

Jim

ex reg Jun 13th 2011 7:59 am

Re: Anyone selling a car?

Maybe spend a few weeks getting used to roads and driving style by taking taxis before taking the plunge.

And if you think cars in Malaysia are expensive then try the place just at the tip of the peninsula.

bakedbean Jun 13th 2011 9:55 am

or get the MM2H visa and buy a tax-free car (or import one from your own country tax-free) :thumbsup:

joamelie Jun 15th 2011 12:49 am

I do know someone selling a car. They are leaving Malaysia, off to Dubai. If you want to send me a PM with your email address, I will forward it on to them so you can talk to them directly. Sorry, I have no idea what the car is, or what state it is in.

ajw Jun 16th 2011 9:48 am

I have friends selling a car bc they are moving to Sinagpore. Honda CRV 2010, 8000 kms, around 135k rm.

optimistic_jim Jun 17th 2011 9:17 pm

Well it looks like I'll be getting a company car to get me by until I purchase my own, so I'll be getting used to the roads pretty quickly!! Had a cultural briefing the other day which was interesting and I got some idea of what to expect, sounds exciting! I'm not afraid of a little street racing :eek:

Thanks Joamelie, I've sent you a note.

Sorry ajw, a bit outside my price range, although I do realise it's going to be expensive! Think I might start with an old banger that I don't mind getting knocked and scratched then work my way up from there.

Cheers,

Jim

TopHattedCat Jun 18th 2011 5:05 pm

One thing I have noticed is cars tend to be a little bit cheaper in KL than where I'm based in Penang.

If you have no experience of driving in SE Asia it is the swarms of motorcycles that you have to get used to more than anything.

In KL I used to find that GPS worked very well (approx 4 years ago), I would have thought as mapping software improves this should be a even better by now.

optimistic_jim Jun 20th 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for all the replies, every day I'm learning something new about my position when I arrive and maybe I'm trying too hard to be all sorted before I actually get there!

I won't really know my financial position due to many company expat policy bits and pieces, so I think I'll wait until I get there and sort it out then.

I've had a couple of tips about sat-nav and lease deals (thanks Jo) so feel free to add more, please :) I'm very grateful to all the help I'm receiving here :thumbsup: