British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Anyone Cooking? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/anyone-cooking-737198/)

Harlow Lad Oct 29th 2011 6:38 am

Anyone Cooking?

Just a very curiosity or nosey subject. :p Since been back to Malaysia couple of months ago realise that my dad & brother dont cook at all. It is because they just typical bloke cant be bother or is it really that cheap to going out every meal.

How much do you have to spend to cook at home in Malaysia? Anyone with little children eating out every meal?

bakedbean Oct 29th 2011 7:48 am

Re: Anyone Cooking?

I think most people eat out a lot and, yes, it can be quite cheap especially if you eat out at foodcourts. We probably eat at foodcourts once a week and pay about RM 3 to 4 for a plate of something (mee goreng, char kway teow, penang laksa). Other times we eat at restaurants though not particularly expensive ones... probably pay about RM 12 to 18 for a meal.

I'm not sure I'd want to eat in foodcourts every night as you don't get a lot of substance fishwise or meatwise. Y'know I love love love char kway teow but usually only 3 or 4 prawns in there and a leetle bit of pork.

When I worked 24/7 in Singapore I very rarely cooked at home. That's the joy of working in south east Asia (and the low income taxes).

Not sure if these days it is typical of blokes not to cook TBH. Certainly mr bakedbean is of the old school and probably clueless where the kitchen is :D

These days in our retired life, we eat in about 50 percent of the time but that's because I like cooking, have a good kitchen now and a nice home. If I was still working, would probably be a different matter.

Do you cook?

Harlow Lad Oct 29th 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9702427)
Do you cook?

Oh yes in the UK. But not in Malaysia though for that 2 weeks.:lol:

Well obviously thats no chances of comparing with Malaysia in the UK when it come to eating out. If you want a proper mee goreng in London, Soho it would of cost you £6-8 a plate (Yes you hear me right £6-8 a plate now a day).

So yes its cheaper to cook at home in the UK. I always try to recreate those Malaysia cuisine but end up in fusion :lol:.

bakedbean Oct 29th 2011 8:30 am

Had to google for an exchange rate as I can't think in sterling now. So 6 quid is about 30 ringgits... geez... see what you mean. Makes me realise how lucky we are to be living here - so easy to forget.

I wouldn't ever attempt to cook Malaysian at home here - really no point when you can get the pukka stuff outside.

Your talk of fusion food reminded me... I've got a great little Eurasian cookbook that I bought when in Singapore. I think Eurasian food tends to vary around the region (someone correct me if I've got that wrong) but some really nice and unusual dishes. Shepherd's Pie made with oyster sauce, soy sauce and worcester sauce (tamarind substitute) and Chinese mushrooms together with the usual ingredients of minced beef and mashed potatoes... yummy.

Scrasey2 Oct 29th 2011 9:05 am

I cook the odd meal at home - once or twice a week - but we usually eat out.

If I cook it's a spag bog or a roast that's about it!

We too usually eat at food courts once or twice a week but mostly at restaurants such as Song River or the Nasi Kandar on Gurney and places like that.

It's quite a novelty to cook now so quite enjoy it!

Harlow Lad Oct 29th 2011 9:06 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 9702485)
Shepherd's Pie made with oyster sauce, soy sauce and worcester sauce (tamarind substitute) and Chinese mushrooms together with the usual ingredients of minced beef and mashed potatoes... yummy.

Sound like kind of street food you can find on the alleyway of Soho when someone have one too many in the pub. :rofl:

Harlow Lad Oct 29th 2011 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Scrasey2 (Post 9702533)
It's quite a novelty to cook now so quite enjoy it!

You lucky bunch.

bakedbean Oct 29th 2011 1:25 pm

Scrasey, oh gawd how can u do a roast in the Tropics? Too hot lah

Scrasey2 Oct 29th 2011 1:50 pm

Ha! Can't do without our roast!! I make one every other week and have even found proper Bisto gravy in Carrefour in 1st Avenue - only place I've found that sells it!

Hubby wouldn't cope without a regular roast!

bakedbean Oct 29th 2011 2:47 pm

Oh dear I don't know what to say. I've not had a roast for about 6 years and don't miss.

Scrasey2 Oct 29th 2011 3:13 pm

Probo best not to say anything, none of my friends can believe it either! Hahaha.

We love our roasts!

Cpt_Jack Oct 29th 2011 5:07 pm

I've found lots of people don't cook here becuase of the cost. Plus people from other apartments keep 'borrowing' my hob...

It's been interesting though. The first thing is learning how to do without an oven which can be quite hard. I always used to use my wok for pretty much anything anyway but I still miss it. Second thing is finding the damn ingredients... stuff you're used to just doesn't show up.

Still I've had some interesting 'creations' and dishes that have morphed from being a soup to a casserole to a curry as more strange ingredients are added. The 'Worcestershire Sauce noodle burger' is best left unmentioned however, lest it be used as a biological weapon.

I'll also be opening a food stall at some point in the future as one of my charity projects (getting homeless people back into work). So all my experiments are for a good cause :-D

Jack

ex reg Oct 29th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Scrasey2 (Post 9703134)
Probo best not to say anything, none of my friends can believe it either! Hahaha.

We love our roasts!

ditto

We didn't cook roasts because we didn't have an oven.
Moved to a spanking new place at the beginning of October and now have an oven so when I get back, if Qantas start up again, then it'll be back to a weekly roast.

Now what do we start with roast pork, lamb or chicken.
Can't get really nice beef for roasting yur.

Scrasey2 Oct 30th 2011 12:42 am

I get my beef and chicken from the Pulau Tikas wet market.

Not quite the same as we get back home - no fat on it to give it added flavour - but it's still very good.

I can't find anywhere to get lamb - either shoulder or a leg. Anyone know of anywhere?

bakedbean Oct 30th 2011 2:53 am

I think I've seen legs of lamb in freezer section at Cold Storage Island Plaza... but at a price... and whether it's good quality, who knows.

I get my "lamb fix" at No Eyed Deer in Prima Tanjung (restoran). They do a fab Lamb Rhogan Josh in there, and the Lamb Chops in black pepper sos looks good too. But... not a roast I'm afraid.

Anyone know if the Yorkshire Kafe ever re-opened up?