Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Any teachers out there in KL/Malaysia?

Any teachers out there in KL/Malaysia?

Old May 13th 2007, 3:12 am
Just Joined

jomat will become famous soon enoughjomat will become famous soon enough
Default Any teachers out there in KL/Malaysia?

Hi there,

I'm currently working in New Zealand as a primary teacher.. from Cumbria and York in the UK. Been here two years but not sure whether it's a long term thing for me. Loved KL (twice) as I've passed through. Did apply for something earlier in the year but through the TES back home so difficult to attend interviews. NZ equivalent doesn't seem to advertise many posts overseas. Would be keen to hear more about teaching in Malaysia.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:09 am
EIE
Just Joined

EIE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any teachers out there in KL/Malaysia?

If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. I run an English language centre in KL so I know a little bit about this topic.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Any teachers out there in KL/Malaysia?

Perhaps you could contact The Alice Smith School, it is one of the biggest and has a very good reputation a lot of my friends' children have been or are pupils there. I think if you go on to the British High Commission website or the ABWM (Association of British Women in Malaysia you will get contact details of all the schools in KL. I hope you are successful KL is a very beautiful city I was there for 4 years with my husband and was very very sad to leave.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EIE
If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. I run an English language centre in KL so I know a little bit about this topic.
Hi EIE,
Thanks for taking time to reply. Did have a look at some of the sites Amazing Grace suggested. Seems I may have trouble because I don't have a degree.. trained many years ago when it wasn't compulsory to have one. It's never held me back in the UK.. been a Deputy Head and an Acting Head, but unfortunately experience doesn't always count these days! It's a pity! I know that in some countries, it's Immigration who won't let you in without a degree.. in Korea for example. Do you happen to know whether that's the case in Malaysia? I did set out to upgrade here in NZ this year but as a non-resident, the costs were prohibitive for me at the moment.
Thanks again for your reply.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
Perhaps you could contact The Alice Smith School, it is one of the biggest and has a very good reputation a lot of my friends' children have been or are pupils there. I think if you go on to the British High Commission website or the ABWM (Association of British Women in Malaysia you will get contact details of all the schools in KL. I hope you are successful KL is a very beautiful city I was there for 4 years with my husband and was very very sad to leave.
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply.. I did have a look at the sites you suggested. No current vacancies at Alice Smith.. may be some at other international schools. Seems I may have a problem due to my lack of degree.. as explained to EIE. I have lots of experience in primary teaching, and in management, but I've already been told that without a degree, I wouldn't be considered for a management post in an international school. Whatever you may say about the UK, these things don't hold you back there! I may email my CV anyway.. you don't get anywhere without trying!
Thanks again.. sounds like you had a great time in KL. I loved the vibrancy of it all. New Zealand is good, but is much more laid back.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:07 am
EIE
Just Joined

EIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Officially Malaysia is an English speaking country and has more than enough native English teachers (this is the govt's line anyway). Malaysia does have policies for hiring expats but it's more focused on engineers at that sort.

Getting a work permit for an expat English teacher is difficult and is always judged on a case my case basis, or at least that's my experience of it.

Clear as mud, eh?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

Personally if I were you I would send my CV anyway to all the schools. I know when I was living in KL they were always advertising for teachers in every way through all the groups and associations. If you dont try you will never know and it only costs a stamp or an email. Good Luck
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EIE
Officially Malaysia is an English speaking country and has more than enough native English teachers (this is the govt's line anyway). Malaysia does have policies for hiring expats but it's more focused on engineers at that sort.

Getting a work permit for an expat English teacher is difficult and is always judged on a case my case basis, or at least that's my experience of it.

Clear as mud, eh?
Many thanks for that.. looks like I'll have to find myself an engineer!! Although things seem easier here in NZ, there are lots of inconsistencies as far as Immigration goes.. like you say, it's done on a case by case basis.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazing Grace
Personally if I were you I would send my CV anyway to all the schools. I know when I was living in KL they were always advertising for teachers in every way through all the groups and associations. If you dont try you will never know and it only costs a stamp or an email. Good Luck
Hi, thanks for that.. I think you're right.. you never know until you try!! Noticed from your posts that you're now in the Middle East.. another place I'd considered. A friend of mine has a daughter teaching in Abu Dhabi. Not like it used to be for teachers years ago.. the packages are not as good as they were, apparently.. still a great place to be for a while though. Enjoy!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

If you are in the oil industry then KL is a brilliant place for engineers. My husband is a mechanical engineer and we were there when his company was responsible for facilities management in the healthcare industry. He has just gone over to work in Al Ain, I am am still sitting in a very cold damp UK waiting for my call to come to join him. Your daughter will probably have heard of Al Ain which is about an hour and half drive inland from Abu Dhabi. Good luck in your search and remember experience can sometimes overtake certificates and qualifications. One of my friends who I think still lives in KL and had been for quite a few years was approached by a school newsletter brought home in her son's school bag for teachers to apply.