British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Any good local schools? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/any-good-local-schools-795389/)

defaclare Apr 28th 2013 11:36 am

Any good local schools?

Hi, I'm new on here and will be moving over to Malaysia in July 2014. I have visited Malaysia many times and will be over there again in July this year for 7 weeks. My difficulty is choosing a school. I have 4 children ages at present 2,5,8 and 10 and not sure if we can afford international school yet for all of them. I am looking for opinions on any good local schools, in any area of Malaysia. I hope to visit schools when I am over there this year. Help greatly appreciated.
Clare.

ex reg Apr 28th 2013 11:50 am

Re: Any good local schools?

Originally Posted by defaclare (Post 10681954)
Hi, I'm new on here and will be moving over to Malaysia in July 2014.
Clare.

So where are you moving to?

bakedbean Apr 28th 2013 1:07 pm

Just to say Welcome to the forum, Clare :)

Note you say Any part of Malaysia so presume you have a wide choice. I have no info at all on schools but we have posters on here in KL, Johor, Melaka, Penang and KK, so hopefully someone will come up with some info.

Are you going to be working here? Sorry just curious.

defaclare Apr 28th 2013 3:20 pm

I will not be working to begin with but my husband will be. To start he will be based in KL. Not sure if I fancy staying in KL as it seems too hectic. I like the East Coast of Malaysia so that area is a possibility, but would like to keep my options open for now. I already speak a little Malay as my husband is Malaysian. Just a bit nervous about the schools and feel I will need contact with other British over there for advice and support.

Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me.

bakedbean Apr 29th 2013 3:29 am

Thanks Clare. Let's hope you get some good replies on here.

ajw Apr 30th 2013 12:15 am

Hi Clare

Welcome to the site. I do think you are going to have to narrow down your area before anyone here can give you any useful information. I assume your older children speak and write Malay? All subjects, including science and maths, is taught in Malay here in the local schools (unless they go to a Chinese school).

There has been a substantial rise in the number of local students who go to second tier international schools here because of disenchantment over the local curriculum, the fact it is taught in Malay and a perception of poor teaching standards.

Choose wisely!

Ajw

defaclare Apr 30th 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks.
My older children do not speak or write Malay. I think we will aim for international school, and stay in KL. Any advice about good areas to live there?

bakedbean Apr 30th 2013 1:23 pm

Hi Clare, have a browse through the Malaysia forum. There's a lot of existing threads about places to live around KL. Also quite a few threads about international schools in KL.