Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Another MM2H Kerfuffle by the Federal Gov't

Wikiposts

Another MM2H Kerfuffle by the Federal Gov't

Old Jun 8th 2024, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another MM2H Kerfuffle by the Federal Gov't

It appears that he Federal Ministry of Tourism (MOTAC) has thrown a very big spanner into the MM2H program again...except this time they haveexpanded the issue into Sarawak (who has long maintained a separate program back into the "Silver-Hair" Days) and Sabah (who was on the verge of announcing their own, independent, program.

Apparently - after an over 6 month delay for initiating their own Platinum-Gold-Silver Scheme- the MOTAC has stated that ALL MM2H agents (including those only assisting in the application of Sarawak and Sabah MM2H) must fully re-register with the MOTAC. Essentially all applications for MM2H, Darawak MM2H, and the new Sabah MM2H have been frozen as all agents have had their licenses suspended.

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...irective-liew/

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...t-suspension-/

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...nt-says-karim/

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...mme-says-liew/

"“So our alternative is to appoint our own qualified representatives to assist with the applications,” she said. Liew, who yesterday issued a statement expressing displeasure at Motac’s move, iterated that her ministry has appealed to Motac to reconsider their decision. “Hopefully we get approval from Motac, but if we don’t, we will still proceed with it,” she said.The state’s version of MM2H is expected to be less restricted with the applicant’s age limit criteria lowered to 30 years and above and it will also allow programme participants to sell their properties after five years on condition they must buy a new house worth no less than RM600,000 and the SBH-MM2H agent must be from a local Sabah company.

Earlier today, Sarawak’s tourism, creative industry and performing arts minister Datuk Seri Abdul Karim Hamzah also told off Motac for its move, and threatened to also go ahead with its own programme, claiming there will be little repercussion. “Does he think he’s a big man? Where there is dispute, it should be discussed amicably. Not one party bulldozing its will (on another).” One of the differences between the federal MM2H and the state’s is that Sarawak’s version of the MM2H, the fixed deposit required is RM150,000 while the federal MM2H calls for RM1 million.

Both Sabah and Sarawak have autonomy over their immigration laws."
Old Jun 8th 2024, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another MM2H Kerfuffle by the Federal Gov't

It appears that Sarawak and Sabah will start licensing their own agents and may even undertake other measures to make their programs more attractive to deal with the impediments instituted by the Federal MOTAC.

https://www.dailyexpress.com.my/news...eral-ministry/
Old Jun 8th 2024, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

I recently got aware of the current state when I contacted an MM2H agency in Penang to transfer my MM2H to a new passport. They explained that only agencies with a valid license can do this job. And it turned out that the agency who handled my MM2H application (many years ago) has an expired license. Currently no new licenses (or license renewals) are being handed out, so that agency would not be able to do this transfer for me. Luckily the Penang agency has a valid license and are allowed to take me as their customer. Had that other agency held a valid license than that agency would have to issue a so-called "release letter" to the Penang agency to take me over as customer.
Old Jun 17th 2024, 4:45 pm
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

MOTAC are jealous of Sarawak and Sabah's own MM2H programs. They want to maintain power, authority over tourism, having stolen it in the 90's. Even though Sabah states it will go it alone, they won't. They fear the Feds. MOTAC are single-handedly aiming to destroy the economies of Sabah and Sarawak. Disgusting!