Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Amdram / drama / acting / theatre ?

Amdram / drama / acting / theatre ?

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

LivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to allLivKL is a name known to all
Default Amdram / drama / acting / theatre ?

Hi again BE

Anyone know of any drama/acting-type clubs that exist in KL, and/or any well-regarded theatres (commercial or funded by a Govt arts council or similar)? I used to work in the theatre "industry" back in London and would be interested to know what acting-related activity exists in KL, either for getting involved with amateur dramatics or "proper" theatres where we might go to see professionally-produced plays?

Old Mar 4th 2012, 3:40 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Amdram / drama / acting / theatre ?

Hi LivKL, the only one I know of is PJ Live Arts. Sure there must be some more around but I have heard that Malaysians are not a theatre going public, certainly not on the scale you'd see in Western countries. I was listening to an interview on local radio the other day with a performer who said it was incredibly hard to get Govt arts funding in Malaysia and there was a lot of reliance on private sector/corporate funding. Good luck on your hunt.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:23 am
Just Joined

TehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really nice
Default Re: Amdram / drama / acting / theatre ?

Originally Posted by LivKL
Hi again BE

Anyone know of any drama/acting-type clubs that exist in KL, and/or any well-regarded theatres (commercial or funded by a Govt arts council or similar)?

have at look at The Actors Studio (http://www.theactorsstudio.com.my/) and KL Performing Arts Centre ie KLPAC (http://www.theactorsstudio.com.my/). not exactly Govt funded though