Alcohol in Penang

Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

NOOKY has a brilliant futureNOOKY has a brilliant futureNOOKY has a brilliant futureNOOKY has a brilliant futureNOOKY has a brilliant futureNOOKY has a brilliant future
Default Alcohol in Penang

I am coming to Peneng next week, I have been told alcohol is expensive, can you get it in supermarkets.
Also I have a gluten intolerance, will I have a big problem eating there ?
I usually look at spain forum.
Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:37 am
Just Joined

TehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really nice
Default Re: Alcohol in Penang

Hi nooky,

yes alcohol is usually on sale in most large supermarkets, but sometimes you may need to head to the NON-HALAL section to find it. just ask around. not a problem in Penang being one of the larger cities.

anyway, alcohol is also available in most restaurants, cafes and pubs, albeit at a higher price than you would normally be used to (this is cos of the taxes imposed on alcohol in Malaysia) ? most would have beers , try the locally loved Tiger Beer (sweet), Carlsberg and Guinness Stout (malty).They are available even in the local kopitiams(breakfast and lunch places) and you will know by the many advertisement posters on their walls whether they have them Wine and Hard liquor - is less stocked except in restaurants. Bars and pubs will have them.

Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 12:41 am
Just Joined

TehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really niceTehTarik is just really nice

Sorry forgot to mention Im not sure about gluten intolerance, so I better not comment much. but in some upmarket cares in KL or Penang, there may be some menus which indicate which are gluten free. if not, just ask them to explain and exclude what you can't eat? you would however have issues trying to converse maybe with the local restaurants and hawker food (penang is famous for its yummy hawker food) so unfortunately you will need to be very careful if you want to try it. Just a suggestion, have a read on this wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_cuisine

Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NOOKY
I am coming to Peneng next week, I have been told alcohol is expensive, can you get it in supermarkets.
If you're used to Spain(?) you'll probably find alcohol expensive. I pay around RM 30+ for a bottle of wine in Cold Storage (supermarket). That's about 6 quid. In bars/restaurants expect to pay about RM 12 upwards for a glass of wine. If you're going to Bt Ferringhi at all, they seem to charge some exhorbitant prices for wine over there. I really don't know why.

You can get alcohol most places, except the muslim places obviously. It's swings and roundabouts re prices. Alcohol a bit expensive but you'll find meals quite inexpensive. Do try some foodcourts for some local food. A meal (mee goreng, char kway chow, etc) will set you back RM 3 or 4 (that's 60p to 80p in sterling). Bottled beer is available at most of the foodcourts in Penang.

Enjoy your trip