Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Air Malaysia 'deals' - genuine or not?

Air Malaysia 'deals' - genuine or not?

Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Air Malaysia 'deals' - genuine or not?

Well, after the initial excitement of seeing return flights 'From £599' between London and KL, it quickly subsided as repeated attempts to book these elusive flights, with constant changes of dates between the qualifying dates, met with totals of £769 or £864 regardless of what dates you select. It doesn't say whether their deals include airport taxes etc but I suspect they might given that otherwise, as every day seems to have flights listed at "From £240", the returns would be priced at £480 otherwise.

Leads me to suspect it's a bit of a con to be honest. Most of the dates I had selected had the outward and return flights listed under 'Best Deal' at "From £240" but despite clicking on those dates I was unable to get anything close to that price or anything bordering on a best deal. In fact, I think the flights were cheaper before!!! If there are any such deals they seem to be so deeply buried in a fog of 'best deal' banners that I suspect people give up and just book. Maybe that's the plan. Not impressed so far I have to say, got bored of looking and gave up. Maybe I'm just unlucky and every flight is sold out for a period of two months. Find that a bit hard to believe though.

If I do get to fly Air Malaysia I hope their service is better than their internet marketing and rubbish website, the load times are appalling! As it is I suspect I'll be looking at Air Asia, despite the ball aching journey to Stansted :-(
Old Mar 14th 2011, 11:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Malaysia 'deals' - genuine or not?

It's Malaysian Airlines...and yes the fares do seem to be entirely fictitious. Don't see availability on any dates which seems very unlikely.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Done, flights booked

Went through Emerald Travel on recommendation. Return flight from Heathrow with Malaysia Airlines direct for £600. So, come out on 19 April and return 11 May
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well done
Old Mar 16th 2011, 10:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Is £600 considered to be a bargain for this route then? It sounds pricey to me.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Is £600 considered to be a bargain for this route then? It sounds pricey to me.
So what do you reckon is a good deal?
And where from?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:23 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by ex reg
So what do you reckon is a good deal?
And where from?
From London.

£600 just doesn't sound like a deal to me.

Especially if you consider the fares to Bali, Singapore & Phuket quoted in the same promo are lower...but all involve a transit through KL. Airlines do that sort of thing though so no surprise there I guess.

The promo fare is £719rtn to Sydney...makes the KL only option look pricey.

I guess this is the only full service non stop option between London & KL though so perhaps it commands a premium.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

It might not sound like a good deal overall but against the fact that fares are around the £800 - £900 at other times and hit £1,100 - 1,200 during UK school summer holidays

I could POSSIBLY carve a bit more off by coming via a stopover in Dubai or Doha but at this stage in life I really can't be asked.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Jes Gill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atilla
Well, after the initial excitement of seeing return flights 'From £599' between London and KL, it quickly subsided as repeated attempts to book these elusive flights, with constant changes of dates between the qualifying dates, met with totals of £769 or £864 regardless of what dates you select. It doesn't say whether their deals include airport taxes etc but I suspect they might given that otherwise, as every day seems to have flights listed at "From £240", the returns would be priced at £480 otherwise.

Leads me to suspect it's a bit of a con to be honest. Most of the dates I had selected had the outward and return flights listed under 'Best Deal' at "From £240" but despite clicking on those dates I was unable to get anything close to that price or anything bordering on a best deal. In fact, I think the flights were cheaper before!!! If there are any such deals they seem to be so deeply buried in a fog of 'best deal' banners that I suspect people give up and just book. Maybe that's the plan. Not impressed so far I have to say, got bored of looking and gave up. Maybe I'm just unlucky and every flight is sold out for a period of two months. Find that a bit hard to believe though.

If I do get to fly Air Malaysia I hope their service is better than their internet marketing and rubbish website, the load times are appalling! As it is I suspect I'll be looking at Air Asia, despite the ball aching journey to Stansted :-(
Do not waste your time with Air Malaysia. The offering is rubbish. I have tried several times before. Secondly they put so many ticket restrictions eg only allowed 20kg luggage allowance, non changeable tickets. Also they are flying older aircrafts charging a premium rate.

AirAsia X - It will cost your more by the time you finished booking your ticket online as they charge you for luggage, food, etc. Dont bother unless you get a ticket for 200 return inclusive.

AirAsia is good for hopping around Asia not long haul.

My best advice is fly Emirates. Modern fleet, excellent service, good amount of leg room, straight forward booking process system and tickets are around 480 to 520 sterling pounds.

The stopover in dubai is good and it breaks the 13 hour journey nicely.

I always use this site to check flight pricing, to get indication before booking. www.kayak.co.uk
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:35 am
Just Joined

It might not sound like a good deal overall but against the fact that fares are around the £800 - £900 at other times and hit £1,100 - 1,200 during UK school summer holidays

I could POSSIBLY carve a bit more off by coming via a stopover in Dubai or Doha but at this stage in life I really can't be asked.
Fly emirate with rate is about 530 with 30kg of luggage.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Do not bother with Malaysian Airline or AirAsia. The really trick with low offering. But actually by the end of the booking you will not get a deal.

Book emirates and you will get a good deal at a sensible price and easy booking process.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

The service is rubbish.
Old Mar 18th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Well, I'm booked now, Malaysia Airlines, £600 direct from Heathrow. Good enough for me, service wise I find most airlines the same. Most are OK, but can be rubbish at times. No 'brand' guarantees I have found. Comments I have seen over MAS generally though is that the service is OK. Just their website I have problems with.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jes Gill
My best advice is fly Emirates. Modern fleet, excellent service, good amount of leg room, straight forward booking process system and tickets are around 480 to 520 sterling pounds.

The stopover in dubai is good and it breaks the 13 hour journey nicely.
I found the stopovers in Dubai boring and usually meant 2 or 3 hours waiting in the wee hours of the morning for connecting flight. Admittedly we were flying biz class in our working days, but the service was quite patchy - sometimes good, sometimes downright awful. Found Finnair to be the most enjoyable... and boy do they know how to pour a drink

Anyway Atila has booked Malaysian so it's a closed case, right? I've always found Malaysian okay in the past and some nice food of course. Have fun.