Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Advice please - SIM only Mobile phone deals

Advice please - SIM only Mobile phone deals

Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future
Default Advice please - SIM only Mobile phone deals

Hi all,

I'm joining you in Malaysia in July, I'm terminating my Mobile phone contract here and am getting a new phone because my current one is past it's useful by date. My question is it it worth waiting to purchase a new phone on a contract deal in Malaysia or should I get the phone I want beforehand and find a decent SIM only deal?

Getting the phone beforehand is useful for a number of logistics reasons, however it's a lot to shell out if I can get the same phone with a decent deal on a contract in Malaysia, I heard though that the deals aren't as strong out there?

Even if you could just give me a link or two to some reputable mobile phone websites so I can check out what they have to offer, that would be very useful.

Thanks in advance

Jim
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice please - SIM only Mobile phone deals

The mobile operators here are:

Maxis
Digi
Celcom

My preference is for Maxis, although there are a couple of other posters on here who prefer Digi. These two are the main mobile operators.

Mobile phones in Malaysia can operate on any network, so if you buy a phone here you can interchange sim cards across networks.

One of the times I returned home I bought a mobile in Dubai airport as it was cheaper than its equivalent in Malaysia.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

optimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant futureoptimistic_jim has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info, very useful, I'll look into Maxis as my new boss in MY has also just emailed me to recommend them too
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

When I visited recently I found Digi had the best deals on combined internet (e.g. smartphone) and calls. I did a write up on my blog regarding the main service providers.

Maxis: http://www.maxis.com.my/main.asp

Digi: http://www.digi.com.my/landing.do
Old Jun 6th 2011, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Atilla, I'll check out your blog, I must admit I found it difficult to decipher the Maxis website and understand what I'll get in terms of Data limits etc...
Old Jun 7th 2011, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

For what its worth, Celcom has the widest coverage, although I use Digi as they have a deal that allows me to keep my number when absent from the country for up to a year. I will never...that is never use maxis ever again
Old Jun 7th 2011, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Maxis is also a pain (that may affect some) in that in many cases, users of a VoIP service calling or sending an SMS to their lines may have caller ID displayed incorrectly (e.g. a totally abstract service number).

It was Strider that pointed me towards the Super Long Life facility from Digi (that extends your line/credit validity for a year). Costs RM 30 at time of buying or you can subscribe afterwards by dialling *128*3*3# and then select '1'.

That said might not be so relevant for me now, just sold house, cash buyers so return to Penang could be in weeks. One way this time
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Congratulations on house sale. Always a great feeling and sense of adventure for the future
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Tx. Sure is. Will be happier when contracts are exchanged but they are cash buyers and desperate to move in, matter of weeks I suspect so lots to get done and planned in a very short space of time
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Yes congrats Atilla, I hope all goes well. I feel your pain at the moment, exciting stuff but sooooo much to do to vacate the UK for Malaysia, fortunately I have a lot of help from the company so I shouldn't complain!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. I've left the UK before and have it all an an auto-pilot basis now. In fact, with selling the house it's actually easier I find. Nothing to worry about this end The quick sale and speed the buyers can move at gives less time to shift stuff I don't want but it'll either sell, go to charity or a skip. Can't wait to be honest.

Last edited by Atilla; Jun 10th 2011 at 6:05 am.