Reload this Page >

Bringing newborn back to UK?

Bringing newborn back to UK?

Old Aug 10th 2017, 10:55 am
Just Joined

sendu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bringing newborn back to UK?

Hi,

I am a naturalised British citizen. My wife is currently a Malaysian citizen (she will become British either this year or next) who wants to give birth in Malaysia. But then after about 6 weeks we want to come back to live in the UK.

What's my best bet (fastest? cheapest?) for getting the baby back in to the UK (and then having the baby become a British citizen)?

I believe the baby will be automatically British by descent, so get a British passport right from the start? How can I do that from Malaysia? In a 6 week time frame?

Other options?

Thank you!

Last edited by sendu; Aug 10th 2017 at 10:57 am.
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:51 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing newborn back to UK?

This article was posted on another forum. Perhaps it may be useful?

British citizenship for children born abroad | Morton Fraser | Edinburgh and Glasgow | Lawyers | Estate Agents | Wealth Managers
Old Aug 10th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

sendu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hnd
Thanks, but it's the specific practicalities I'm after, which that article doesn't cover.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 9:15 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sendu
Hi,

I am a naturalised British citizen. My wife is currently a Malaysian citizen (she will become British either this year or next) who wants to give birth in Malaysia. But then after about 6 weeks we want to come back to live in the UK.

What's my best bet (fastest? cheapest?) for getting the baby back in to the UK (and then having the baby become a British citizen)?

I believe the baby will be automatically British by descent, so get a British passport right from the start? How can I do that from Malaysia? In a 6 week time frame?

Other options?

Thank you!
For a lot of reasons, you would be best having your child in the UK.

My husband and I are both British but because our children were born overseas, registered at birth with UK embassy and local govt, we still had to apply for and wait for British passports and then residency visas in the country we lived before we could get them out over to the U.K. That process took about 12 weeks.

Additionally and something I wasn't aware of at the time, when my children have children, if their children (my potential grandchildren) are born to a non UK parent overseas, then the descendant line is broken and their children are not automatically entitled to UK passports.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 10:08 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
For a lot of reasons, you would be best having your child in the UK.

This thread - http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz...erseas-830435/ - discusses the difficulties and delays associated with applying for a passport for children born overseas. Depending on the country of birth, I think some timelines now approach almost a year and can include DNA testing and such.

I understand your wife may want family around at the time of the babies birth, but perhaps having the baby in the UK and visiting Malaysia later would be a better alternative - or maybe pay for some family to visit the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

eCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond reputeeCdD has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about the future of the kids I would try everything that the kids also have Malaysia nationality. DonĀ“t waste this great advantage with having a Malaysian wife.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 11:30 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure that you cannot have Malaysian nationality and another. Friend took Australian nationality and had to give up Malaysian. At least that is the official line.
Old Aug 12th 2017, 2:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia is a 'Group 1' (low risk) country for British passport applications and HMPO quote six weeks for a first time child application to be processed. However I would echo others' advice and recommend that your wife gives birth in the UK in case the application is delayed for any reason. In addition if your wife gives birth in Malaysia then your child will only receive British citizenship by descent meaning any grandchildren born outside the UK will not automatically be eligible for British citizenship and Malaysia does not permit dual nationality.

If you do decide to give ahead with the birth in Malaysia then the instructions on making a passport application can be found here: https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/...child/malaysia