British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   ADHD and medication in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/adhd-medication-malaysia-910394/)

Wrighty2018 Mar 14th 2018 8:57 am

ADHD and medication in Malaysia

Hi,

I am in the UK currently and have prescriptions for the ADHD medications atomoxetine (aka Strattera) and methylphenidate (aka Ritalin). I expect to be in KL for a few months this year - the plan is to come out in May, then go to Thailand August/September, then come back to KL for more or less the rest of the year

I can't take enough of a supply with me to cover the whole of that period, so am trying to find out how available these meds are going to be while I am away.

They are available in Thailand - on prescription, obviously - but cost so much that it would be cheaper to fly back to the UK and pick up some more.

I would be very grateful for any info about the availability and (especially) cost of these medications in Malaysia, or any suggestions as to how I can find out more about getting a local prescription and then the meds themselves.

TIA

OriginalSunshine Mar 14th 2018 11:52 am

Re: ADHD and medication in Malaysia

Originally Posted by Wrighty2018 (Post 12462266)
Hi,

I am in the UK currently and have prescriptions for the ADHD medications atomoxetine (aka Strattera) and methylphenidate (aka Ritalin). I expect to be in KL for a few months this year - the plan is to come out in May, then go to Thailand August/September, then come back to KL for more or less the rest of the year

I can't take enough of a supply with me to cover the whole of that period, so am trying to find out how available these meds are going to be while I am away.

They are available in Thailand - on prescription, obviously - but cost so much that it would be cheaper to fly back to the UK and pick up some more.

I would be very grateful for any info about the availability and (especially) cost of these medications in Malaysia, or any suggestions as to how I can find out more about getting a local prescription and then the meds themselves.

TIA

It is so difficult that we go to Singapore for our prescriptions for our kids, via a psychiatrist. Ritalin is available but my kids had concerta not strattera for a while. I’m not sure of the cost as the insurance covers it. In Singapore the psych can dispense as well. But in Malaysia it’s separate and stock at the pharmacy can be a problem, or availability of doctor despite having an appt etc 🤦🏻‍♀️

uk_grenada Mar 14th 2018 11:55 am

Careful - as some of these medications are effectively speed - amphetamines - some countries ban their import by individuals. In fact im pretty sure someone was arrested in Saudi for ‘drug smuggling’ as a result. Make sure its allowed in this muslim country?

Also just to point out a technicality, the nhs allows you to take a supply of your prescription meds for holidays but there is a limit i was told by my gp, but i cant find specific proof - nearest is here i guess

https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1074.aspx?CategoryID=70

uk_grenada Mar 14th 2018 12:17 pm

Pm’d the op

Wrighty2018 Mar 14th 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 12462409)
It is so difficult that we go to Singapore for our prescriptions for our kids, via a psychiatrist. Ritalin is available but my kids had concerta not strattera for a while. I’m not sure of the cost as the insurance covers it. In Singapore the psych can dispense as well. But in Malaysia it’s separate and stock at the pharmacy can be a problem, or availability of doctor despite having an appt etc 🤦🏻‍♀️

A trip to Singapore would be pretty manageable - would you mind sharing the name of the Psychiatrist? I can then get in touch and find out about costs and timescales.

Originally Posted by uk_grenada (Post 12462412)
Careful - as some of these medications are effectively speed - amphetamines - some countries ban their import by individuals. In fact im pretty sure someone was arrested in Saudi for ‘drug smuggling’ as a result. Make sure its allowed in this muslim country?

I hadn't heard about the arrest but yes there is a family of ADHD meds that is based on amphetamine, although this does not include Ritalin or Strattera. It's a shame because the amphetamine-based medications actually seem to work better, but as you say it is problematic to travel with them - hence the Ritalin / Strattera combo. I know that the Malaysian psychiatric body has issued guidelines for prescribing Ritalin - so that has to be permitted - and Strattera has an even lower potential for abuse so I would have thought that would be OK too. I appreciate the warning though!

Wrighty2018 Mar 14th 2018 12:23 pm

Apologies but I need three posts in order to read a PM I have been sent - this will be my third.

uk_grenada Mar 14th 2018 12:30 pm

Again - being able to prescribe it doesnt mean you can bring it in, eg a doctor may prescribe effectively heroin but bringing it in your suitcase?

Wrighty2018 Mar 14th 2018 12:39 pm

I think if you have a UK prescription for a drug that is also prescribed in Malaysia then that is safe enough. Otherwise how are you going to travel if you are taking prescription medications on a daily basis.

uk_grenada Mar 14th 2018 12:46 pm

Theorys sound, now say that the prescription is for a restricted item like diamorphine suspension - no - doesnt work does it. You can only be sure by checking with mayaysian customs i suspect.

Pollyana Mar 14th 2018 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wrighty2018 (Post 12462463)
I think if you have a UK prescription for a drug that is also prescribed in Malaysia then that is safe enough. Otherwise how are you going to travel if you are taking prescription medications on a daily basis.

If a drug is banned in a country then even having a prescription for it at home doesn't entitle you to possess it or take it in the other country I'm afraid.Sometimes a doctor's letter is required as well, sometimes it still a No, depends on the country.

I found this High Commission of Malaysia which is aimed mainly at Aussies entering Malaysia, but the basics are the same, might give you a start.

scot47 Mar 14th 2018 3:51 pm

Be very careful. It could be a ticket to the Penitentiary.

Wrighty2018 Mar 14th 2018 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12462488)
If a drug is banned in a country then even having a prescription for it at home doesn't entitle you to possess it or take it in the other country I'm afraid.

That's right, hence "that is also prescribed in Malaysia" i.e. is not banned there.

Thanks for the link.

RedApe Mar 15th 2018 4:12 am

Ask you physician about Concerta by Jansen Pharmaceuticals. It's widely used as a substitute for Ritalin throughout Asia, including Malaysia. You may be able to get it, with a scrip, at a pharmacist. I would not know the pricing.

OriginalSunshine Mar 15th 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Wrighty2018 (Post 12462443)
A trip to Singapore would be pretty manageable - would you mind sharing the name of the Psychiatrist? I can then get in touch and find out about costs and timescales.
!

http://www.alvinpsyclinic.com.sg/Dr-Alvin-Liew

He’s used to dealing with cross border issues, and will write a letter for you for customs in case you are stopped. However, we have never had issues traveling, between Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, and Australia, but having that official letter makes me feel safer.

Also, he can issue a GST refund that you claim as per normal goods at the airport. This is the only time the medicine is ever inspected 🤣

OriginalSunshine Mar 15th 2018 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by RedApe (Post 12463064)
Ask you physician about Concerta by Jansen Pharmaceuticals. It's widely used as a substitute for Ritalin throughout Asia, including Malaysia. You may be able to get it, with a scrip, at a pharmacist. I would not know the pricing.

It’s not the same though, and has different side effects