British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   1st Steps (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/1st-steps-869556/)

owen1978 Dec 22nd 2015 11:22 am

1st Steps

Hi,

I am currently living in the UK, got a wife and daughter.
We want to look at the possibility of emigrating to Malaysia.

But I am kinda lost where to start...

What should be our first steps?

Do we just pack up and go, rent a place and look for jobs

or

Find a job here first and then move?

We are coming over to Malaysia during the Easter holidays next year for about 10 days.

I really haven't got a clue where to start

Thanks

bakedbean Dec 22nd 2015 10:08 pm

Re: 1st Steps

Hello Owen and welcome to the forum :wave:

Have you been to Malaysia before? Do you know which part you wish to move to?

What job skills/experience do you have?

Sorry, you might be further along than this, but these are probably the first questions to ask. I am a retired layabout so cannot help you much jobwise. If you look through existing threads on this forum** you'll find a lot of information from others who have moved. Certainly Teaching jobs are around. Or would you think of setting up your own business? Bluenose has written some good notes re setting up in business here.

**Use the search box up on the top right. Put a relevant word into the Search Box like "teacher" or whatever, and see what comes up.

You also need to think about schooling for your daughter of course. As I understand it, schooling in an international school is very expensive.

Just a few first thoughts.

Maybe you can give a bit more detail of your situation and what you are looking for.

bakedbean Dec 22nd 2015 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by owen1978 (Post 11819444)

Do we just pack up and go, rent a place and look for jobs

No, you will need a Visa. Also, officially, you will need a valid visa in your passport to rent a place. (Actually, in reality, you probably can, but that is the official line.)

OriginalSunshine Dec 22nd 2015 11:35 pm

Unless you are Malaysian, you will need a visa to work. If you are a UK citizen you'll need a job before you get a residency visa and can move out. Of course you can visit prior to getting the residency permit, but you won't be able to live, go to school, get utilities etc long term.

What industry are you looking at? Because the economy is not great here, and lots of contracts are not being renewed in a number of industries.

If you don't need to work, you can start the MM2H process which is a retirement visa.

Epicurious Dec 23rd 2015 12:58 am

You will need a visa to work, but otherwise I live here quite easily without one (not working). You don't need a visa to rent an apartment, nor to have utilities in your name. I just go in and out on the 90 day tourist pass. That will not suit the OP, but I just wanted to correct a couple of bits of misinformation in this thread.

InVinoVeritas Dec 23rd 2015 1:20 am

I don't think you even need a visa to buy a property in Malaysia.

bakedbean Dec 23rd 2015 6:13 am

No you don't need a visa to buy a property.

Officially, visa running (nipping in and out of the country every 90 days) is frowned upon. Some get away with it. Some don't.

I have a "senior" lady friend who has been visa running for some 5 years back n forth to Sri Lanka. She occasionally gets stopped these days but so far has got away with it.

I also have a "senior" male friend who has been visa running for quite some time. He got stopped one time coming into Penang airport (earlier this year) and they wouldn't let him in without returning to "home" country. He had to camp out on the airport floor for a couple of days, before his Malaysian girlfriend pulled some strings at Immigration and got him let in. He still had to fly back "home" to ol' Blighty, by the way.

So, you can chance it if you wish, and you may get away with it. Just saying.

bakedbean Dec 23rd 2015 6:20 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11819883)
Or would you think of setting up your own business? Bluenose has written some good notes re setting up in business here.

Sorry, it wasn't Bluenose. The mind is a little bit foggy in the morning. It was abdulawwal.

If you're interested in setting up business, one of his threads is here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/malay...d-last-782314/

Abdul doesn't hit the forum too often these days. He's a busy working guy. But, once you have posted 3 posts, the PM function will be available to you.

InVinoVeritas Dec 23rd 2015 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11820069)
No you don't need a visa to buy a property.

Officially, visa running (nipping in and out of the country every 90 days) is frowned upon. Some get away with it. Some don't.

I have a "senior" lady friend who has been visa running for some 5 years back n forth to Sri Lanka. She occasionally gets stopped these days but so far has got away with it.

I also have a "senior" male friend who has been visa running for quite some time. He got stopped one time coming into Penang airport (earlier this year) and they wouldn't let him in without returning to "home" country. He had to camp out on the airport floor for a couple of days, before his Malaysian girlfriend pulled some strings at Immigration and got him let in. He still had to fly back "home" to ol' Blighty, by the way.

So, you can chance it if you wish, and you may get away with it. Just saying.

Yes, if visa running were too easy there'd be no need for an MM2H retirement visa ;)

OriginalSunshine Dec 23rd 2015 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Epicurious (Post 11819957)
You will need a visa to work, but otherwise I live here quite easily without one (not working). You don't need a visa to rent an apartment, nor to have utilities in your name. I just go in and out on the 90 day tourist pass. That will not suit the OP, but I just wanted to correct a couple of bits of misinformation in this thread.

That may be your experience, but in my experience, in the state that I live in, you have to provide passport details, and a visa, before the landlords accept renting out a family house (with utilities still in landlord's name). Just because our experiences are different doesn't mean I am spreading misinformation.

My first foray back on to this forum again for a while, and I just don't know why I bothered.

I guess it's just a forum for pensioners :(

Gunnar45 Dec 23rd 2015 11:59 am

Well, I guess that everyone contributes according to his/her own experiences but in some cases maybe forgets that there also are state specific rules.
(Which state are you referring to?)
Plus that landlords in different areas may have different conditions.
For example in Penang it is the buyers market, maybe it is the reason that requirements are not so stringent.

InVinoVeritas Dec 23rd 2015 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11820206)
I guess it's just a forum for pensioners :(

Oh no, no no.......there are some drunks too.....and a few drunk pensioners (always good for a laugh) :lol:

columbine Dec 24th 2015 2:59 am

How old is your daughter? If she's of school age I heard one of the parents can get a visa to stay to look after her, but the other must do the visa run now. They used to give the visa for both parents, but I think it changed to one last year or so.
Maybe some one here with kids in school can go firm this?

OriginalSunshine Dec 24th 2015 8:23 am

I could reply, as I have school going kids (primary) but someone will inevitably tell me I'm wrong, or that I'm going off topic from what the OP wants.

columbine Dec 24th 2015 9:24 am

Not to worry O Sunshine. Share what you think might be helpful and I'm sure some one reading will find some good out of such a forum. We are all from different backgrounds, different countries and culture and it's good we can read what another person post that can be of help. Please share.