11 days 2 go

Old Jan 15th 2013, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

oldman48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 11 days 2 go

Hi all, only 11 day till we come out to have a look around, we are so looking forward to get a way from the snow anyway, just some question,
1 can you lease cars and who from ???
2 the best pre payed sim card only for me oldlady get one from work???
3 this there a good phase book I can pick up out there I have a dictionary but I would like a phase book can't seem to get one over here

thanks

Oldman
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 11 days 2 go

I'm sure you can find a Malay phrase book in one of the bookshops but you don't really need. Everyone will speak English to you.

There's a lot of different SIM cards you can get. I've got a feeling there was a thread on this a little while back. Maybe do a search? (top right hand box)
Old Jan 19th 2013, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really niceTahiti_Bound is just really nice

Originally Posted by oldman48
Hi all, only 11 day till we come out to have a look around, we are so looking forward to get a way from the snow anyway, just some question,
3 this there a good phase book I can pick up out there I have a dictionary but I would like a phase book can't seem to get one over here

thanks

Oldman

There are all the usual rental companies - including Hertz. But our organization here has had success with long term leases from a company called WS Rentals on Jalan Ampang if you are looking for a longer lease.

Research prepaid SIM cards from Digi, Maxis and Celcom. My Wife has enjoyed a great deal with Digi (calls and texts only with occasional data). But you need to see what matches your needs.

I bought one when I first got here - and it's gathering dust somewhere! As Baked Bean said, almost everyone speaks better English than I do!

Tahiti
Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for your replys, we are looking to lease long term and will have a look next week, when we come out house hunting, once's again thanks

Oldman
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Nemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really niceNemodot is just really nice

Originally Posted by oldman48

thanks

Oldman
1. Major western companies plus local ones in Star newspaper ok (far cheaper). Insurance works on "don't have an accident" basis You will need sat nav. KL is hell for traffic! I mean living creeping flesh eating hell. Otherwise nice to drive around out of KL

2. Tune they say - celcom or maxis I have used, celcom these days

3. SHOUT loud at locals. Who needs a phrase book we are British! Actually English is main language in KL. So hardly worth the bother. Online you get better these days to learn how to say thank you that's all you need. In Malays areas thye will never understand your accent btw and most people want to learn English as sign of education
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

1. Ample places to rent cars. People I know there use:

AMM: http://www.facebook.com/pages/AMM-Ca...02223743125008

and

Car Asia Travel: http://www.car-asia.com

2. I have found Digi provides good cover and good prices. I've tried Maxis and Celcom but found network coverage overall better with Digi (had a number of weak signal issues with the others but some say they find that with Digi - depends where you are I suppose) but that's Penang and KLCC.

3. I have the Lonely Planet book, quite good, but not essential for a first trip IMO: http://www.amazon.com/Malay-Lonely-P...9546303&sr=8-1

Last edited by Atilla; Jan 22nd 2013 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi All thanks for all your replys, that has helped loads, the oldlady and I have all the info we need now,I think well that was all that was on the list she left me.
thanks again
Oldman