Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Would you have handed it in ?

Would you have handed it in ?

Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have handed it in ?

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
I handed a woman's purse in to a library enquiry desk once. When it was reclaimed, its rightful owner asked who had handed it in? She then came over to me and offered me 'reward money', and seemed offended when I refused it.

I don't know - maybe I'll go to heaven now for my righteousness, but I was uneasy with the idea that honesty can be bought
Would have done the same. I agree that honesty is given and not paid for. Now, if I happen to find a million or so, a reward would be nice.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:39 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about the Karma thing. People who don't hand these things in can only expect the same treatment back. When we were in green park a few years ago we found a wallet by an icecream stall. We decided to take it to the police around horse guards rather than leave it with the stall guy. We found to owner sight seeing at horse guards. He looked amazed that a) he had lost it and not noticed b) we were giving it back.
A few weeks after that I stupidly walked away from a cashpoint without taking my cash and the man behind me ran after me with it. See, karma!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:11 am
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

...reading all these posts, its nice to know there are so many honest people in the world

It reminds me of a story I once read about the 16th US President Abraham 'Honest Abe' Lincoln. As a lad, he worked in a shop and one day he mistakenly overcharged a customer.

Although it was only 'chump change', 'Honest Abe' trudged, on foot, through difficult terrain, to make sure the customer was refunded his money.

I wonder how many US presidential candidates next year will say "I did that too!"
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
...reading all these posts, its nice to know there are so many honest people in the world

It reminds me of a story I once read about the 16th US President Abraham 'Honest Abe' Lincoln. As a lad, he worked in a shop and one day he mistakenly overcharged a customer.

Although it was only 'chump change', 'Honest Abe' trudged, on foot, through difficult terrain, to make sure the customer was refunded his money.

I wonder how many US presidential candidates next year will say "I did that too!"
Actually, there's only one I could imagine it possible of - Bill Clinton. IMHO, he is, for all his descent into the abyss of politics, still just an "ole' country boy", I think.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress View Post
Actually, there's only one I could imagine it possible of - Bill Clinton. IMHO, he is, for all his descent into the abyss of politics, still just an "ole' country boy", I think.
Maybe Jimmy Carter as well. He seemed a decent enough sort of person for a politician.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:33 pm
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joto View Post
Maybe Jimmy Carter as well. He seemed a decent enough sort of person for a politician.
Well...maybe Richard M Nixon "would have handed it in" once (at least) - after all he came from a hard-working background, before the "just don't get caught" days of his presidency and Watergate
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Yes, maybe so. He was possibly just too naive to be President, that was all.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 12:18 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

He does seem a decent sort of man which is probably why he was not a very successful president.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:46 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
He does seem a decent sort of man which is probably why he was not a very successful president.
LOL so true...are there any decent moral men/women in power these days? they've all been fiddling their expenses or their PA's these days!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn View Post
LOL so true...are there any decent moral men/women in power these days?
Were there any in previous days?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:16 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Not only would I have handed it in, but I'd have slipped an extra tenner in there just to compensate the owner for the pain and suffering of being parted from it.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Not only would I have handed it in, but I'd have slipped an extra tenner in there just to compensate the owner for the pain and suffering of being parted from it.
Careful your halo doesn't slip sproutboy.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:20 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Can we arrange for me to lose my wallet somewhere in your vicinity?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:20 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have handed it in. Anybody daft enough to be a Reading fan, deserves to be parted from their valuables.

Last edited by Uncle Ebenezer; Sep 1st 2011 at 1:32 am.