Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Would you have handed it in ?

Would you have handed it in ?

Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have handed it in ?

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn View Post
His dad is now living in the Costa del sol...next to Reggie!
In the end the guy admitted he'd made a mistake. It happened about lunchtime and they were at the police station until late that night. My boss had to go to the police station (this was in the UK) to give character references.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I would definitely hand it in, as I always have done.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:24 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

When we went camping last year, we found a purse in the ladies toilets on the campsite, full ID and about $100 cash (perhaps more or less, cant remember) plus all of her cards and even the pin numbers (I am assuming) written on scrap paper behind her drivers license - she was a pensioner.

We managed to track down her unit and get her purse back to her, she was shaking and told us that was all the money she had, and was so glad to get it back.

I think to be honest, if anyone finds a purse with money in it and thinks it is OK to dip in and help themselves, they are nothing but a thieving wanker and I would only hope that one day, they lose their own purse/wallet and have **** all money to feed themselves or their kids.

Karma is a bitch when it bites back, I know a few people that would think it is their right and luck to dip in and steal in these situations but at the end of the day, they know its not their money and it certainly isnt their right either.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
When we went camping last year, we found a purse in the ladies toilets on the campsite, full ID and about $100 cash (perhaps more or less, cant remember) plus all of her cards and even the pin numbers (I am assuming) written on scrap paper behind her drivers license - she was a pensioner.

We managed to track down her unit and get her purse back to her, she was shaking and told us that was all the money she had, and was so glad to get it back.

I think to be honest, if anyone finds a purse with money in it and thinks it is OK to dip in and help themselves, they are nothing but a thieving wanker and I would only hope that one day, they lose their own purse/wallet and have **** all money to feed themselves or their kids.

Karma is a bitch when it bites back, I know a few people that would think it is their right and luck to dip in and steal in these situations but at the end of the day, they know its not their money and it certainly isnt their right either.
Right on both counts!!!!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
HA! If I was running a book I'd have had them as favourites. I've heard nothing but bad reports abouth them but I haven't flown them myself. If they're worse than American Airlines though they must be bad
They are crap mate as the OP said rude and unpleasant flight attendents.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:58 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have definately handed it in. I once lost my purse at a football match once, someone handed it in, and it had 4 sets of 2 tickets in for upcoming games around 250 quid in value

A couple of years ago in Vegas we opened the safe and found someones ID and credit card, I could have passed as her if I'd wanted to of course we went and handed them in.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reading fan View Post
After speaking to the airline straight away they said it was unlikely the cleaners would have found it as I had pushed it right down
But that's where people shove all sorts of crap? Why would they not clean those pockets out properly. Ewwwwwwwwww

I'd have handed it in. Being brutally honest, if I found $200 on the street, I'd keep it but in a wallet with cards, no way. I may appear to be a tea leaf but I have standards.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter did the same thing on a flight she took with her two kids. Completely forgot her wallet on the seat between getting the kids off the plane.

Wallet not found by the cleaning crew nor turned in by anyone else.

Please don't hold you breath.

I've found and re-entered wallets and purses. Have had a wallet returned to me with everything still in it by a conductor on Metro-North. Yes, there are good people out there. Unfortunately, they don't seem to take the same flights as you or my daughter.

Last edited by Rete; Aug 22nd 2011 at 3:29 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
My daughter did the same thing on a flight she took with her two kids. Completely forgot her wallet on the seat between getting the kids off the plane.

Wallet not found by the cleaning crew nor turned in by anyone else.

Please don't hold you breath.

I've found and re-entered wallets and purses. Have had a wallet returned to me with everything still in it by a conductor on Metro-North. Yes, there are good people out there. Unfortunately, they don't seem to take the same flights as you or my daughter.
I'm so glad to hear some happy endings. Kind of sustains my "Cinderella-Syndrome", tightly-held-onto belief that there really are some good, honest people out there. I don't like my new-found jaded outlook on some aspects of life, and this is a bit of a life-raft. I, myself, could never, in a hundred years, keep somebody else's money, property or identity and I have a hard time trying to imagine the mind-sets of others who do.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

After travelling for 22 hrs (inc transfers etc) I very foolishly left my purse in the seat in front of me on the plane. I didn't realise until we were on the motorway home. I was gutted to say the least and a harsh lesson has been learnt - the purse was an expensive present, contained all my cards & £200 in cash. I immediately cancelled my cards, wrote off the money but was really hoping to get the purse back. After speaking to the airline straight away they said it was unlikely the cleaners would have found it as I had pushed it right down (i couldn't get to my bag so thought safest place in case I fell asleep) and my best chance would have been if the next passenger found it and handed it in.

Would you have taken the cash and handed it in or thought stupid foolish woman serves her right, emptied the wallet and then dumped it ?
I would have handed it in fully intact......cash, cc and all.....

Im so sorry you lost your purse and had to go through the process of cancelling cc etc. I lost my purse as well once and had to go through the same process - pain in the bloody ass.....
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

UNITED !! Never again - had 4 flights with them and all rubbish - the rudest staff ever

As far as ID - the wallet had my drivers licence in with full name and address - I googled myself to see how easy I could be found with the details they had - top the page full tel no etc came up.
Arrgh!! United are absolutely awful. My boyf came to visit me and on his return journey he stupidly put his very expensive camera in his suitcase. When his suitcase came round the conveyor belt the zip was slightly open and his camera was gone, nothing else! They apologised for "misplacing" his camera. A-holes! Makes me really angry. Obviously someone working at the airport stole it. If his suitcase had accidentally come open I'm sure more stuff would have fallen out, not just the one expensive bulky camera.

As far as the original OP - Yes, I would hand it in. Couldn't justify taking it. A tenner blowing about in a car park with no way of knowing who the owner is - Fair game.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:46 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Holliver View Post
Arrgh!! United are absolutely awful. My boyf came to visit me and on his return journey he stupidly put his very expensive camera in his suitcase. When his suitcase came round the conveyor belt the zip was slightly open and his camera was gone, nothing else! They apologised for "misplacing" his camera. A-holes! Makes me really angry. Obviously someone working at the airport stole it. If his suitcase had accidentally come open I'm sure more stuff would have fallen out, not just the one expensive bulky camera.

As far as the original OP - Yes, I would hand it in. Couldn't justify taking it. A tenner blowing about in a car park with no way of knowing who the owner is - Fair game.
How is that United's fault? I had a dress taken out of my suitcase somewhere between Honolulu and Perth last year. Whose fault is that? United? Air New Zealand? The TSA? New Zealand Customs? Australian Customs? Or maybe...Just maybe it was some wanker who works at one of the 3 airports who decided to take a quick look to see what was worth taking.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 12:48 pm
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

Your purse would have been safe with me, Reading Fan, as I would have handed it in, had I found it (like so many others here)

Moving the discussion on, should honesty always expect a financial reward?

I handed a woman's purse in to a library enquiry desk once. When it was reclaimed, its rightful owner asked who had handed it in? She then came over to me and offered me 'reward money', and seemed offended when I refused it.

I don't know - maybe I'll go to heaven now for my righteousness, but I was uneasy with the idea that honesty can be bought
Old Aug 24th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
Your purse would have been safe with me, Reading Fan, as I would have handed it in, had I found it (like so many others here)

Moving the discussion on, should honesty always expect a financial reward?

I handed a woman's purse in to a library enquiry desk once. When it was reclaimed, its rightful owner asked who had handed it in? She then came over to me and offered me 'reward money', and seemed offended when I refused it.

I don't know - maybe I'll go to heaven now for my righteousness, but I was uneasy with the idea that honesty can be bought
To my mind, honesty should not expect a financial reward. Whatever happened to just doing the right thing because it's "right", not for the material benefit it might bring? I like the feeling I have when I do the right thing much more than I would the cash reward. ('course now if the reward is a million bucks, that might make me happy ) Seriously, honesty, for me, is irrevocably linked with honor - and I want to always behave honorably.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I've walked back to grocery stores to return excess change the cashier had mistakenly given me, so keeping someones wallet and money would be an absolute no-no. Occasionally you read in the news about someone who turns in a large quantity of money that they found, thus restoring some faith in the honesty of some people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.