WORDS

Old Apr 24th 2020, 4:39 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WORDS

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
"Cleave" has two meanings, one of which is the opposite of the other. You can cleave to someone (stick like glue), or it can mean splitting something.
Ooh. I love these. Auto-antonyms (or "contronyms").

Fast ... moving quickly (running fast) or not moving at all (stand fast).
Oversight... as in, the issue was caused by lack of oversight of the machine. This was clearly an oversight on the part of the operator.
Sanction... if you take action that I have not sanctioned, I will sanction you.

Unlockable is not quite the opposite of itself, but it can mean both "can be unlocked" and "cannot be locked."
Old Apr 24th 2020, 5:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
Ooh. I love these. Auto-antonyms (or "contronyms").

Fast ... moving quickly (running fast) or not moving at all (stand fast).
Oversight... as in, the issue was caused by lack of oversight of the machine. This was clearly an oversight on the part of the operator.
Sanction... if you take action that I have not sanctioned, I will sanction you.

Unlockable is not quite the opposite of itself, but it can mean both "can be unlocked" and "cannot be locked."

Isn't language great? Although what evolutionary imperative made it so perverse is anyone's guess. Selecting for poets?

Old Apr 24th 2020, 8:57 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Isn't language great? Although what evolutionary imperative made it so perverse is anyone's guess. Selecting for poets?
This is a common topic of conversation over dinner in the Pulaski household, and it never ceases to amaze me how many English words have two, or more, distinct meanings, which is all the more astounding when you take into account that English has, so many words. I once read, that English has 60% more words than French, and 40% more words than German - the relative values appear to be correct, but there are, I now realize a number of different ways to count the number of words in each language.

Given this, I am in awe of people who attain great fluency in English as a second language, that you don't only need to have a large vocabulary, but also grasp the context of what you are reading/ being told to determine which meaning of a word is the intended one. .....With examples such as Pitch - tar, tone/ note, steepness, throw, sports ground, sales presentation, & fall, and cast: throw, make using a mold, assign a role to an actor, to add up, & a colour modification/ tint.

And while researching this post, I came across a word I have never seen before - polysemy/ polysemous - to have several meanings, such as a word.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2020 at 9:16 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 9:13 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
This is a common topic of conversation over dinner in the Pulaski household, and it never ceases to amaze me how many English words have two, or more, distinct meanings, which is all the more astounding when you take into account that English has, so many words. I once read, that English has 60% more words than French, and 40% more words than German - the relative values appear to be correct, but there are, I now realize a number of different ways to count the number of words in each language.

Given this, I am in awe of people who attain great fluency in English as a second language, that you don't only need to have a large vocabulary, but also grasp the context of what you are reading/ being told to determine which meaning of a word is the intended one. .....With examples such as Pitch - tar, tone/ note, steepness, throw, sports ground, sales presentation, & fall, and cast: throw, make using a mold, assign a role to an actor, to add up, & a colour modification/ tint.

And while researching this post, I came across a word I have never seen before - polysemy/ polysemous - a word with several meanings.
All languages have many words for the same thing and words with several meanings. Irish has three major dialects (plus a national "standard"). The little I retain is Munster Irish, from the South-West..... when I see Ulster Irish (from Donegal), not only is the pronunciation very different, but there are entirely different ways to say basic concepts, like asking how you are or telling the time and other common phrases differ slightly too, because they each use a different (valid) way to say the same thing. Just as in English, you can say "I'm obliged to you" rather than "Thank you".... and in Portuguese the former becomes "Obrigado" and the primary way to say thanks in that language.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 9:25 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
All languages have many words for the same thing and words with several meanings. .....
Agreed, they do, but English seems to have excelled in pulling in new words from multiple different languages, and molding them into English, notably from French, Latin, and Greek, which have then been grafted on to the Anglo-Saxon root of English, meaning that it is virtually guaranteed that there will be at least two, and often three or more synonyms for most common words (look in a thesaurus and 6-10 words with very close meanings are not uncommon), though often with enough of a twist that they aren't precise synonyms, they have subtly distinct meanings.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 9:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post

Old Apr 25th 2020, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

No need to get into a collieshangie.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite Spanish word is tranquilo .Calm,relax,quiet
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: WORDS

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
No need to get into a collieshangie.
You could argue the point,a few on BE often do
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:22 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
My favourite Spanish word is tranquilo .Calm,relax,quiet
Oooh - a polyglot!
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Oooh - a polyglot!
hay Eric you make me sound impotent.I have been called many things in my life mostly anglosaxon ones.I am sure someone will be along soon and have a choice word to call me.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

shenanigans. secret or dishonest activity or manoeuvring.learnt this on B.E
Old Apr 25th 2020, 10:42 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh - a polyglot!
Já chega!...... the most calming, annoying, helpful, obstructive phrase in Portugal.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 1:13 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
hay Eric you make me sound impotent.I have been called many things in my life mostly anglosaxon ones.I am sure someone will be along soon and have a choice word to call me.
The books, the Trivia, the expanding lexicon - I think erudite would be my choice.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 1:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I think erudite would be my choice.
I always think that sounds like glue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.