British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   WORDS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/words-932346/)

sid nv Sep 24th 2020 5:01 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12913366)
Did you ever come across people who insisted the latter were hard disks?

There can surely be no question concerning the floppiness of the 8".


BuckinghamshireBoy Sep 24th 2020 5:40 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by sid nv (Post 12913988)
There can surely be no question concerning the floppiness of the 8".

Ahem!

Floppidity.

BristolUK Sep 24th 2020 6:26 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy (Post 12914001)
Ahem!

Floppidity.

Flobadob.

BuckinghamshireBoy Sep 24th 2020 7:15 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12914023)
Flobadob.

Indeed, Alex.

;)

el collado kid Sep 25th 2020 7:39 am

Re: WORDS
 
Serendipity: i found this by chance.

Novocastrian Sep 25th 2020 11:26 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12913366)
Did you ever come across people who insisted the latter were hard disks?

The Aussies used to call them Stiffies. Probably the most creative vocabulary ever to have emerged from that continent.

el collado kid Sep 26th 2020 8:28 am

Re: WORDS
 
Fruit salad; slang for a service members medals

el collado kid Sep 27th 2020 8:23 am

Re: WORDS
 
Agastopia:this is all greek to me

el collado kid Sep 28th 2020 8:02 am

Re: WORDS
 
Abibliophobia*** i have plenty to read?

BristolUK Sep 28th 2020 1:57 pm

Re: WORDS
 
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0d0abfeff8.png

Pulaski Sep 28th 2020 7:17 pm

Re: WORDS
 
Capricious - the variety of words featured on this thread. :lol:

el collado kid Sep 29th 2020 6:51 am

Re: WORDS
 
Capricious-just looked it up,i think i understand but not totally sure of your point.could i just say most of the words put on this thread i have never seen used read and could not spell if i tried with out spell checker and at times do not see the point of them.but they are there for a reason i'm sure,i thought caprious was that american model:eek:

Pulaski Sep 29th 2020 3:31 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12915703)
.... most of the words put on this thread ...... and at times do not see the point of them.but they are there for a reason i'm sure, ...

Because the English language needs more words. :nod:

Not only have I come to enjoy words more in recent years, ironically as I hated English at school, declining ever taking (the separate subject of) English Litl and dropping English language at the earliest opportunity, but I have been surprised to note how often an English word has two or more different, and sometimes even contradictory meanings. I have no idea how someone who learns English as a foreign language gets to be as fluent as some manage. :unsure:

el collado kid Sep 30th 2020 7:59 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12915943)
Because the English language needs more words. :nod:

Not only have I come to enjoy words more in recent years, ironically as I hated English at school, declining ever taking (the separate subject of) English Litl and dropping English language at the earliest opportunity, but I have been surprised to note how often an English word has two or more different, and sometimes even contradictory meanings. I have no idea how someone who learns English as a foreign language gets to be as fluent as some manage. :unsure:

Yes i agree with you,i am quite amazed when i meet foreign people who have a better grasp of the english language and grammar than myself.The 3 main words i remember in english at school were slipper kane and detention.The pity of it all i enjoy writing on these threads but without a computer i would never join in,because of my spelling grammar and my handwriting are disastrous to an unbelievable degree.The biggest regret for me is what i might have achieved with an education.

Red Eric Oct 1st 2020 6:51 am

Re: WORDS
 
You do fine eck.

I've got you down as a sort of latter-day Nigel Molesworth, of the state skool variety.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:06 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.