British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   WORDS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/words-932346/)

el collado kid Apr 24th 2020 7:47 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12843408)
Boustrophedon.

Good word. I know now what my writing style is boustrophedon.I thought i was dyslexic

robin1234 Apr 24th 2020 8:33 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12843410)
Good word. I know now what my writing style is boustrophedon.I thought i was dyslexic

So long as it’s not otiose, you’re good.

el collado kid Apr 24th 2020 8:37 am

Re: WORDS
 
"there were occasions when I felt my efforts were rather otiose"

caretaker Apr 24th 2020 8:55 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12843432)
"there were occasions when I felt my efforts were rather otiose"

it's a new one for me. I'd try to define it as well, but that would be redundant.

macliam Apr 24th 2020 11:29 am

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12843438)
it's a new one for me. I'd try to define it as well, but that would be redundant.

Hardly seems worth defining words when american business will always find new uses....... as in using leverage as a verb.

Lion in Winter Apr 24th 2020 1:33 pm

Re: WORDS
 
SWIMS. If you turn it upside down and back to front, it still says SWIMS. My OH pointed this out to me last night.

Are there any other words like this?

el collado kid Apr 24th 2020 1:53 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12843546)
SWIMS. If you turn it upside down and back to front, it still says SWIMS. My OH pointed this out to me last night.

Are there any other words like this?

OXO

Leslie Apr 24th 2020 3:27 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12843358)
Is the person still on BE that was called a seminiferous tubule? I don't remember this incident.

I think this all happened in the Sand Pit back when it was hotbed of infidelity and wife swapping ;) . . . .

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take...thread-742656/

Sugarmooma Apr 24th 2020 3:52 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12843615)
I think this all happened in the Sand Pit back when it was hotbed of infidelity and wife swapping ;) . . . .

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take...thread-742656/


I guess I didn't venture enough around the world of BE! :lol:

Oakvillian Apr 24th 2020 3:55 pm

Re: WORDS
 
Bookkeeper has three sets of double letters in a row.
If a bookkeeper's assistant could be called a subbookkeeper, that'd be four sets of double letters.

caretaker Apr 24th 2020 3:58 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12843626)
I guess I didn't venture enough around the world of BE! :lol:

Who knows what's in all those sub-forums? There's no guarantee they're safe, and just the name Sand Pit, really, makes me think blazing hot, full of flies, probably smells of urine.. Nope, too foreign.

Oakvillian Apr 24th 2020 4:00 pm

Re: WORDS
 
And if we're into bizarre word factoids, rather than bizarre words themselves, then both "catchphrase" and "latchstring" (a wire or string that passes through a gate or door allowing a latch to be opened from the "wrong" side) have six consonants in a row. There are some words with seven consonants (e.g. rhythms, strychnine) but each includes a "y" acting as a pseudo-vowel so they don't really count.

Oakvillian Apr 24th 2020 4:08 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12843546)
SWIMS. If you turn it upside down and back to front, it still says SWIMS. My OH pointed this out to me last night.

Are there any other words like this?

there are a few in lower case. pod, suns and dollop are ones that I know.

These words are called ambigrams. There are all sorts of clever calligraphic tricks that can make many words into ambigrams. There's a guy called John Langdon who created book-cover art for some of Dan Brown's (dreadful) novels, whose website is worth a look Ambigrams, Logos, & Word Art. | John Langdon | Ambigrams, Logos, & Word Art.

Lion in Winter Apr 24th 2020 4:31 pm

Re: WORDS
 
"Cleave" has two meanings, one of which is the opposite of the other. You can cleave to someone (stick like glue), or it can mean splitting something.

Lion in Winter Apr 24th 2020 4:32 pm

Re: WORDS
 

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 12843640)
there are a few in lower case. pod, suns and dollop are ones that I know.

These words are called ambigrams. There are all sorts of clever calligraphic tricks that can make many words into ambigrams. There's a guy called John Langdon who created book-cover art for some of Dan Brown's (dreadful) novels, whose website is worth a look Ambigrams, Logos, & Word Art. | John Langdon | Ambigrams, Logos, & Word Art.


That webpage gave me vertigo.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.