British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/)
-   -   WORDS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/lounge-7/words-932346/)

el collado kid Apr 23rd 2020 2:50 pm

WORDS

WORDS?
give us a word that we do not know i have just learnt vicissitudes thanks LIW. What have you all got for me?

BristolUK Apr 23rd 2020 3:04 pm

Re: WORDS

Originally Posted by el collado kid (Post 12843082)
WORDS?
give us a word that we do not know i have just learnt vicissitudes thanks LIW. What have you all got for me?

How about 'mote' in the same thread that one came from? That was a new one for me. :nod:

I reckon there's a word in the guardian I have to look up at least once a week, although sometimes it's more to remind myself because it's so rare, rather than I don't recognise it.

el collado kid Apr 23rd 2020 3:21 pm

a tiny piece of a substance; a speck.And it's 11.25 AM in moncton near the USA border:eek:

Gordon Barlow Apr 23rd 2020 3:27 pm

This seems as good a place as any to post a link to Spike Milligan's interview as a Word Pronouncer - from one of the Goon Shows. Not everybody's cup of tea, Spike Milligan's concept of humour, but it was good while it lasted. "Perspicacity, mate", I said.

el collado kid Apr 23rd 2020 3:37 pm

the quality of having a ready insight into things; shrewdness.There you are Gordon and it's 9.40am there

Pulaski Apr 23rd 2020 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12843093)
How about 'mote' in the same thread that one came from? That was a new one for me. ... .

That is a revealing admission. :sneaky:

In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Oakvillian Apr 23rd 2020 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12843093)
How about 'mote' in the same thread that one came from? That was a new one for me. :nod:

I reckon there's a word in the guardian I have to look up at least once a week, although sometimes it's more to remind myself because it's so rare, rather than I don't recognise it.

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12843126)
That is a revealing admission. :sneaky:

Guilty as charged - that's the benefits of an Anglican education. Although I referenced "plank" instead of "beam" to compare to the mote... seems to be a confused mixture of King James and the RSV... and now I can't believe I've wasted spent 5 minutes looking that up!

robin1234 Apr 23rd 2020 7:46 pm

I always think of mote & bailey but I never knew which was which.

Turns out it is motte!

Leslie Apr 23rd 2020 7:59 pm

Seminiferous!

caretaker Apr 23rd 2020 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12843242)
Seminiferous!

I had to look it up, but I'm ready now if it ever hits trivia.

Leslie Apr 23rd 2020 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12843243)
I had to look it up, but I'm ready now if it ever hits trivia.

There was an incident on BE years ago where somebody called somebody else a seminiferous tubule. It may have even won insult of the year. :lol:

Pulaski Apr 23rd 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12843242)
Seminiferous!

If we start down the path of anatomy and scientific terminology in general, then there's almost unlimited scope for this thread. :unsure:

Sugarmooma Apr 24th 2020 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12843273)
There was an incident on BE years ago where somebody called somebody else a seminiferous tubule. It may have even won insult of the year. :lol:

Is the person still on BE that was called a seminiferous tubule? I don't remember this incident.

Red Eric Apr 24th 2020 8:34 am

Boustrophedon.

el collado kid Apr 24th 2020 8:40 am

interlinguistic I found this,you might have trouble keeping your teeth in when you say it.I found it hard to pronounce let a lone use it,and if you did use this word would anyone understand?