Go Back  British Expats > General > The Lounge
Reload this Page >

Woman to Win Bet She'll Live to 100

Woman to Win Bet She'll Live to 100

Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Woman to Win Bet She'll Live to 100

"LONDON (Reuters) - A British woman stands to collect a check for 12,650 pounds ($23,300) on Friday after betting she would live to 100...."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...s&section=news

Not a bad bet, anyone else had fun bets?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:46 pm
here there and everywhere

georgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Woman to Win Bet She'll Live to 100

Originally Posted by Bob
"LONDON (Reuters) - A British woman stands to collect a check for 12,650 pounds ($23,300) on Friday after betting she would live to 100...."

I had a bet i could fit the most cheese balls in my mouth,I ended up with cut gums and lips and i lost
Old Nov 4th 2004, 5:49 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Good bet for a son in law - you can't lose?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:22 pm
Brit'n'TX

I was stupid enough to bet once that Leslie could go a whole day without being rude to somebody ...

Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:27 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
I was stupid enough to bet once that Leslie could go a whole day without being rude to somebody ...
Shut your cake-hole limey.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 6:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by georgy33
I had a bet i could fit the most cheese balls in my mouth,I ended up with cut gums and lips and i lost
How many dya end up doing? and why?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:09 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Nice story - always good to hear about Bookies taking a caning!

I ONCE bet on a horse that won at 14-1 , but could only afford 50p to win on it! It only took a couple of months for William Hill's to get back the winnings. Now I just bet a couple of £ on the Grand National Lottery - I learnt my lesson
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:15 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by arnie2oz
Nice story - always good to hear about Bookies taking a caning!

I ONCE bet on a horse that won at 14-1 , but could only afford 50p to win on it! It only took a couple of months for William Hill's to get back the winnings. Now I just bet a couple of £ on the Grand National Lottery - I learnt my lesson
There was a funny time in my childhood (the first 4 of us aged about 13-8 so I guess I was about 11) when we all got into betting on horses. My father would place our bets on our behalf a couple of times a week - 10p on this, 20p on that etc - we would get the races and form from the family's newspaper.

I think my father was trying to get us to see the stupid side of betting but we pretty much all had a good track record, ie winning more than losing. Actually I seem to remember making quite a lot.

He stopped it after a bit.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 7:52 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
There was a funny time in my childhood (the first 4 of us aged about 13-8 so I guess I was about 11) when we all got into betting on horses. My father would place our bets on our behalf a couple of times a week - 10p on this, 20p on that etc - we would get the races and form from the family's newspaper.

I think my father was trying to get us to see the stupid side of betting but we pretty much all had a good track record, ie winning more than losing. Actually I seem to remember making quite a lot.

He stopped it after a bit.
First four? how many of you are there?
Old Nov 4th 2004, 8:00 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
First four? how many of you are there?
5 + a foster kid
Old Nov 5th 2004, 8:07 am

georgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
How many dya end up doing? and why?
I got 23 but it really hurt and had to give up.
I have to blame peer pressure and to much beer.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by georgy33
I got 23 but it really hurt and had to give up.
I have to blame peer pressure and to much beer.
Can't be all bad if it got ya beer tho
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't be all bad if it got ya beer tho
It was the beer that made me do it.

Thats my excuse anyway and im sticking to it
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:56 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by Don
Good bet for a son in law - you can't lose?
Well I don't like to reply to my own posts (but I forgive me! ) - but it really is true: this is a one way bet.

Either you make loadsa money or your Mother In Law snuffs it.

I can't see a downside.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Don
Either you make loadsa money or your Mother In Law snuffs it.

I can't see a downside.
Downside, she puts a bigger bet and wins, and rubs it in ya face...or she bets that you don't beat her...and then wins *l*